What's new

HDMI, Audio, and Painful Sound of Silence (1 Viewer)

kisutte

Auditioning
Real Name
Kiley
I'm a home theater noob. I've got a Vizio Television with HDMI and a Yamaha RX-V367 Audio Video unit. I have run all the wires through the house and have successfully set up the speakers into the correct connections on the back of the receiver. I even have my HDMI out cable connected to the television.

After hours of running the cables and connecting my Apple TV, Google Fiber TV, I get no sound out of the speakers. My initial understanding of HDMI is that it runs Audio and Video through one cable. However, when I turn the TV on, no sound goes through the receiver to the speakers. Any idea what I am missing here?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Kiley

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
How are the items connected to the receiver? Page 14 of the manual shows the hook-ups should be in the same format as HDMI in and out. This is also echoed with the chart on page 16 of the manual.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That AVR doesn't take audio off HDMI.Where did you even find one of those?The 4/5/667 are all plentiful...and do take audio off HDMI.

kisutte

Auditioning
Real Name
Kiley
Ok. So I'm an idiot. I had it hooked up correctly. The volume was way too far down to hear anything. Jesus. Thanks for all the help. Just an FYI the 367 does carry audio through hdmi as a default setting. I've had the receiver for years but only used it as an hdmi switch essentially (and for my turntable). I had just been running a Polk audio soundbar for all the audio up until today. I purchased the receiver on Amazon two years ago. Thanks for all the help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Weird...Yamaha US doesn't mention it taking audio off HDMI.I know the 365/465 didn't, so was somewhat a logical thought...

kisutte

Auditioning
Real Name
Kiley
Definitely makes sense to think it may not. I only found it did from Yamaha forums while being frustrated when my volume button was down. Works pretty well for a sub 300 dollar receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks