What's new

A PEEK AT FOLLOW THAT DREAM (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Surprised that there is not a thread nor a review for this film. So, let me be the first. I'd somehow never seen Follow that Dream, so it was a complete discovery for me and a very pleasant one. I really don't care for most of the Elvis movies, but this one is an utter charmer, almost like a Disney film in certain ways. Elvis is funny and warm, Arthur O'Connell was one of the best character actors ever, and the whole thing moves along smartly and quickly.

The transfer seems perfect if you know Panavision films of that era - the color is beautiful and it's sharp with excellent contrast. A lot of Twilight Time titles seem to not get any comment here, but this one really deserves a thread of its own.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
haineshisway said:
Surprised that there is not a thread nor a review for this film. So, let me be the first. I'd somehow never seen Follow that Dream, so it was a complete discovery for me and a very pleasant one. I really don't care for most of the Elvis movies, but this one is an utter charmer, almost like a Disney film in certain ways. Elvis is funny and warm, Arthur O'Connell was one of the best character actors ever, and the whole thing moves along smartly and quickly.

The transfer seems perfect if you know Panavision films of that era - the color is beautiful and it's sharp with excellent contrast. A lot of Twilight Time titles seem to not get any comment here, but this one really deserves a thread of its own.
I am a fan of Elvis movies, have all of them on DVD, and all the BDs that have been released. Follow That Dream is a favorite of his fans, too, a very different film as well. I purchased the TT Blu-ray. It is very nice and beats all hell out of the old letterboxed DVD.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
This makes for a very nice light comedy performance by Elvis who's basically playing a babe-in-the-woods type of character here...first time I saw it was over 45 years ago on TV and was charmed by it...glad it finally got the treatment it deserved for home theater... :thumbsup:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this disc a couple of weeks ago and was very pleased with the quality. I've been a bit surprised there's been so little discussion of it here.

I think Follow That Dream is one of Elvis's best films. He's playing a real dumbo and does it more or less perfectly. Many highly skilled actors and actresses have said that playing people who are below average intelligence is really difficult. Not being an actor myself, I can't comment but I admire Elvis's performance in this film.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Matt Hough said:
I reviewed it on August 16th. You can find it here. I have reviewed every Twilight Time release that comes from Fox or MGM (except The Egyptian which was handled by another reviewer).
I thought you would have but couldn't find it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I've never seen this and I really dislike the Elvis movies I have seen (the only one I own is Viva Las Vegas, which is terrible, but I love the young Ann-Margret's dance numbers). But this sounds like it might be an exception. Worth a blind buy?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
JohnMor said:
I've never seen this and I really dislike the Elvis movies I have seen (the only one I own is Viva Las Vegas, which is terrible, but I love the young Ann-Margret's dance numbers). But this sounds like it might be an exception. Worth a blind buy?
I am not a huge Elvis fan but he is underrated.

Follow That Dream is a good one. Also try Jailhouse Rock and King Creole.

It is sad that he was not able to branch out in his film choices. Apparently he was offered the Tony role in West Side Story but was impressed by his management to turn it down. It would have been interesting.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
FOLLOW THAT DREAM is one of my favorite Elvis films and damn glad to have this Blu-ray. The transfer is wonderful and Elvis does act in this film. As others have said Arthur O'Connell is always a joy to watch. Anne Helm and Joanna Moore are a treat also. The list of 60's characters actors is fun. Thank you Twilight.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Elvis was great when he had strong directors. His best movie, IMHO, is FLAMING STAR, directed by Don Siegel. FOLLOW THAT DREAM was directed by Gordon Douglas, who directed tons of fine westerns, crime dramas, the sci-fi classic THEM! and some of Frank Sinatra's best movies, including THE DETECTIVE. Phil Karlson (KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL, WALKING TALL) directed Elvis in KID GALAHAD, which also featured Charles Bronson. Michael Curtiz (CASABLANCA, YANKEE DOODLE DANDY) directed Elvis in KING CREOLE.

I've only seen FOLLOW THAT DREAM on TV, pan-and-scan and interrupted by commercials, but I do have it on DVD as part of one of the Elvis anniversary collections and need to watch it again. I remember liking it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks