JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The leaves are just beginning to turn here, so I thought I'd start a place to post your Fall Color pics.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Good idea, John. I'll be visiting northern Michigan soon, and hope the colors will be turning then. In the meantime, here is one from a local park near our home from a few years ago. I drive by this spot on my way to/from work every day.

IMG_2241-XL.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We've had an unusual and steady amount of rain this summer, so I'm hoping our colors will last longer than 12.5 minutes this year. We're already having freeze warnings, so maybe not.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While the colors are not changing around here yet, we did our first traditional autumn event this morning - a trip to the local cider mill. I brought along my new 16-35L f/4 IS wide angle lens to play a little.

451A0952-L.jpg

451A0940-L.jpg

451A0953-L.jpg

As you can see, the colors are not changing yet...

451A0949-L.jpg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No colors here in NYC area yet -- we tend to be one of the last places to get any (natural kind anyway).

I could maybe post something from last Autumn instead, if that's alright, hehheh... :P

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a lot of stuff to go through from today's trip. This one is in upper Poudre Canyon, Colorado. One of those times when I come around a corner and slam on the brakes, looking for somewhere to pull over.

My suggestion for shooting fall colors. Always have the sun in front of you, not behind you. Fall leaves lit at least partially from behind is when the color really goes wild. It might look like I cranked the saturation to get this, but I didn't saturate it at all. A little vibrance, but that's it.

EDIT: I must have been really tired when I did this image, because I looked at it again, and I completely screwed it up. I'm posting my (hopefully) improved one below.

_DSC2502t.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Goofing around with the fisheye. Laramie River Valley, Colorado

_DSC2696_t.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Some unbelievable color in a valley on the West side of Cameron Pass. The summit of Cameron Pass is a little over 10,200 ft elevation and this is not very far below that.

_DSC2805t.jpg

I had to go into work for a while this morning, and then headed West at about 10:30 AM. I shot tons of stuff, and was home before 6:30 PM. Have I mentioned how great it is to live in Colorado?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks, Scott. Clouds are pretty much hit and miss, because I rarely want to sit around to see what comes. I'll wait a while for clouds to get out of the way of the sun or to move more where I want them, but much more than that and it doesn't go along with the idea of enjoying photography. I do like it when a shot gets more than one type of cloud though.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's a couple more shots from yesterday. These are both in the Laramie River Valley.

_DSC2608_t.jpg

_DSC2682_t.jpg

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Scott Merryfield said:
John,I am very jealous. Wish I had a "backyard" like that to shoot! I love that last shot -- the clouds add that last, finishing touch.
Love that shot too, John.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The colors had not changed much last weekend when we made our trip to northern Michigan's Mackinac Island. Here are the best autumn colors I could find while hiking around the island.

IMG_0132-XL.jpg

You can see some red on the embankment to Fort Mackinac on the right hand side.
IMG_0152-XL.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I hope others are waiting for the Fall colors to arrive...The Colorado mountains are in full swing. It looks like we may actually have a couple good weeks left, thanks to all the moisture we've had this year.

I'll probably add a couple more shots from yesterday to this post before the 24 hour limit ends. This one is at Caribou Ranch in the mountains of Boulder County.

A little bit of info on this location. There is (was) a recording studio way up there at 9,000 ft. Several major releases in the '70s and '80s were recorded there. Many of them had their album art photographed during the sessions. Chicago and Elton John (hence the album name "Caribou") frequently recorded there, as well as the completely awesome "Even in the Quietest Moments" by Supertramp. Yeah, the one with a snow covered grand piano on the cover, photographed, well, you guess where.

_DSC3012_t.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yesterday's trip wasn't nearly as productive as last week's. Where I went, there were a lot more aspen, but not as interesting for photos. So, here's a couple more, but that's about it this time.

_DSC2941_t.jpg

The metropolis of Ward, Co.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Somehow, I put the same shot twice in that last post, and the edit doesn't seem to let me add photos, so here's the last one from this week. This is somewhere on the Peak to Peak Highway.

_DSC2958_t.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brought along my Canon EOS M compact mirrorless camera on a bicycle ride this morning. The colors are just beginning turn here.

IMG_0218-XL.jpg

That's my lovely wife on the pier.
IMG_0221-XL.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Nice, Scott. I'm glad some pics are getting posted. I didn't want to monopolize the thread.

You get a lot wider range of colors. It's mostly yellow here in the high, dry climate of Colorado. Reds and oranges are hard to come by.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks