What's new

Tales from the Crypt/Vault of Horror (Blu-ray Double Feature) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

tales.jpeg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
I pre-ordered this from Amazon many weeks ago. Was there no link on here before today ? Could have sworn it was this site that alerted me to the release.
Does this mean they've sorted out the delay . I read that because they wanted to release Vault uncut and that MGM didn't have an uncut version that they were looking at different sources for the gaps that needed filling.

There's a full uncut version on dvd in the UK aswell as a broadcast version but both are very substandard quality compared to the previously released lovely quality Midnite Movies disc which was the cut version

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
According to DVD Drive-In, VAULT is uncut:

To celebrate the occasion of their second anniversary, Scream Factory has just announced that they will be releasing two well-loved Amicus titles: 1972’s TALES FROM THE CRYPT (featuring Peter Cushing and Joan Collins) and 1973’s VAULT OF HORROR. These two classic British anthology films will be a housed together as a double feature on Blu-ray (both for the first time) and VAULT will be presented in its uncut form! Also coming from Scream is 1985’s THE DOCTOR AND THE DEVILS, directed by Freddie Francis. This underrated grave robber thriller was produced by Mel Brooks and stars Timothy Dalton, Patrick Stewart, Stephen Rea, Jonathan Pryce…and even Twiggy! Also on Blu-ray for the first time. Both will arrive sometime this Fall with more updates to follow!

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
That DVD Drive In is the news story as it appeared when I saw the first announcement.
More recently it was said there would be a slight delay due to them needing to obtain the uncut scenes from elsewhere which is why I wondered if that job was complete now there was another announcement on HTF.
The piece I saw didn't say they were having trouble - just that Fox didn't have it uncut and they were getting the missing bits from another source.

Edit - according to their Facebook info Shout contacted the BFI as they believed the lost footage might be there but they had no luck.
On another forum one member states he told them about the BFI as he got the info on that forum but it must be wrong.

However , here in the UK our C4 and Film4 were the most recent licence holders of Vault. Rather surprisingly earlier screenings by Sky Movies and even C4 turned out to be the cut version.
Film4 is a bit of a movie buff channel so they clearly got enquiries about their aring of the cut version.

Shortly afterwards Film4 aired the uncut version . I've just checked my dvd recording of that broadcast and after the end credits fade out a caption appears: "Made from material preserved by the BFI National Archive".

Maybe Shout need to talk to different people at the BFI

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
TravisR said:
^ Do you know when that is from? When the initially announced it, they said that Vault would be uncut but a few weeks ago, they said there was some trouble in locating the uncut version.
It does seem to be their original posting, but no updates on that original announcement. Here's hoping.

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
John Morgan said:
It does seem to be their original posting, but no updates on that original announcement. Here's hoping.
As already posted , they have updated the original announcement but it seems only via Facebook.
Now they have more information perhaps they'll contact the BFI again

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
That may be the case, Charles. Someone who used to work at the BFI said it wasn't restored while he was there, so he suspects that Film4 used a print from the BFI and did their own telecine.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I bet Scream uses some print that the Vipco DVD used and they splice the footage

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
bgart13 said:
That may be the case, Charles. Someone who used to work at the BFI said it wasn't restored while he was there, so he suspects that Film4 used a print from the BFI and did their own telecine.
The Film4 version looks anything but restored and is only a tad better than the Vipco dvd.
My point was that the BFI appear to at least have a copy of the film uncut so it's something Shout could use to complete their pristine cut copy although the visual jump would be quite jarring if nothing was done to the extra scenes .

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
charlesgunn said:
[SIZE=12.222222328186px]All the uncut versions available are 4:3 although I've not compared them to anything to see if they are open matte or cropped[/SIZE]

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
They're open matte. If the BFI still has the uncut print, it'll do. Matte it, do some color correction, insert frames - ta-dah!

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
You know what would be a great extra for this set, either print or digital? The original EC comic book stories that the segments of these films were derived from. "And then some idiot turned out the lights."

ae20a39e.jpg

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Do you happen to have the issue numbers for the stories? I have the complete EC here. I'd like to look them up.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
According to Wikipedia...

Tales From The Crypt:
… And All Through The House is from The Vault Of Horror 35
Reflection of Death- Tales From The Crypt 23
Poetic Justice- The Haunt Of Fear 12
Wish You Were Here- The Haunt Of Fear 22

The Vault Of Horror:
Midnight Mess- Tales From The Crypt 35
The Neat Job- Shock SuspenStories 1
This Trick’ll Kill You- Tales From The Crypt 33
Bargain In Death- Tales From The Crypt 28
Drawn And Quartered- Tales From The Crypt 26

Like I said, I just copied the list from Wikipedia but I'll take a look at my issues and confirm the info.

It's kind of funny that The Vault Of Horror movie doesn't feature any stories from The Vault Of Horror comic book.

EDIT: I checked and all the Wikipedia info is correct.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I watched Tales From The Crypt last night and it looked great. I was struck by how *clean* the production design was. At times, I thought I was watching a Cronenberg movie. I guess they figured that keeping all of the settings tidy made the bright vermillion blood stand out better!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks