What's new

Remastered Star Trek: The Original Series DVDs Being Rereleased (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Sounds like a straight repackage of the season sets released back in 2007-2008.

Probably nothing new here, other than different packaging.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I might have actually been tempted to pick this up on black friday, IF this was a repackage of the dvd season sets released back in 2004. (ie. The non-hd versions).

I never really like the hd restorations with the scenes redone in cgi.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
jcroy said:
I might have actually been tempted to pick this up on black friday, IF this was a repackage of the dvd season sets released back in 2004. (ie. The non-hd versions).

If you've gone blu, those discs have the episodes with both original and cgi effects.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Speaking of the Blu, is there any way to turn off that little icon that always pops up during episodes to indicate I can switch back and forth between old an new footage, a movie camera I believe, near the top right. It is very annoying to be watching an episode, lost in Trek, and that damn icon pops up. As yet, I have found no way to turn it off. I have to believe there is a way.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Carabimero said:
Speaking of the Blu, is there any way to turn off that little icon that always pops up during episodes to indicate I can switch back and forth between old an new footage, a movie camera I believe, near the top right. It is very annoying to be watching an episode, lost in Trek, and that damn icon pops up. As yet, I have found no way to turn it off. I have to believe there is a way.
It might be something you change in your blu ray player settings, because I don't recall having that problem with TOS.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
The only time I can't switch to the original effects on the blu-rays is during the tri-corder scene in "The City on the Edge of Forever." The icon pops up, but it only displays the new effects. I wonder if they ever fixed this?

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
jcroy said:

I will be hanging on to the 2004 editions.

The packaging does look nice.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
moviebuff75 said:
The only time I can't switch to the original effects on the blu-rays is during the tri-corder scene in "The City on the Edge of Forever." The icon pops up, but it only displays the new effects. I wonder if they ever fixed this?
I watched that one on blu-ray recently, and didn't have that happen (or ever with any other episodes)...are you guys selecting 'with original effects" when you select an episode?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
No I am watching with the new effects and the icon CONSTANTLY pops up, four or five times per episode, at least. There's even a guide hardwired into the Blu menu with the icon on it instructing me to press a button when I see the icon.

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
The only good thing about the earlier Trek dvd's is they had 5.1 mixes of the ORIGINAL soundtracks . (UK releases at least) The Blurays only have surround remixes for the new soundtracks which often include new sound effects to go with the visuals and the levels between music and dialogue has also been adjusted.
The missing section of audio on The Devil In the Dark still grates and the audio error on The Menagerie Part 1 also annoys.

I prefer surround sound for Trek but I can't listen to the new version of the theme. It's a close copy but it's not the version I like.
So the Blu alternative is mono.
Mixing old sound with new visuals or vice versa doesn't really work

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
Carabimero said:
No I am watching with the new effects and the icon CONSTANTLY pops up, four or five times per episode, at least. There's even a guide hardwired into the Blu menu with the icon on it instructing me to press a button when I see the icon.
I'm in the UK so your player may be different to what we get here.
If your player is of the unknown brand variety I believe UK players can also have this issue and it seems to be a shortcoming of budget players. I've not seen any problems listed here by owners of players from the likes of Panasonic or Sony etc.

I had the problem with a Pioneer player but within the settings there was an option to be alerted when multi angle playback was available . Simply set this to OFF and icon never appears.
As multi angle is quite a rare thing I think most makes seem to prefer supplying players with it preset to ON.
Knowing the various illogical menus some manufacturers seem to have these days you may find the option buried in the settings in a different place to where you expect it.

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
moviebuff75 said:
With mine, I am watching with original effects, but for that scene it reverts to the newer effects. The icon isn't on screen.
Is this the scene where Spock gets the tricorder going and is able to view Edith Keelers involvment with the Nazis?

I'm in the UK but my season 1 Blu set is a US set preordered when it was a new release so I will check it .

Edit - I am mistaken . My Season 1 is UK , its season 2 and 3 that are US . But I'll check it anyway

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
I've checked both scenes where Spock is fiddling with the tricorder and the scenes play the same whether old or new effects are selected but there appears to be nothing new - it all looks like the original footage . No icon in sight and clicking the movie camera to switch between old and new has no effect.

Checked on laptop - will check Panasonic player later

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Thanks for checking. It is new.....I saw some screenshot comparisons when these came out. They are subtle changes. The icon appears to switch, but it stays with the new effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks