What's new

The Persuaders! (1 Viewer)

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Tvondvd.com announced that VEI is coming out with an 8-disk complete set of the Tony Curtis-Roger Moore crime busters show..... It's been so long since I saw it, and while not nearly as fondly recalled as The Rogues, this is another that has my interest. It would be fantastic if Moore was given a chance to reminisce about this wild 70s series - at least from some accounts it was wild behind the cameras!http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Persuaders-Complete-Collection/20266

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
This is great that the US will be getting a re-release on DVD. I am just surprised that no BLU release is currently being offered. I imported the UK Region B locked BLU set when it came out years back. It does look great in HD esp the colors used on the show at that time. It just sounds like that now that the DVD set is announced all hopes for a US blu set are now doomed.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I believe the latest R2 release from Network includes newer Moore material, IIRC. What's up with that gun on the cover, they rarely used weapons on the show must be a selling tool... He wasn't 007 yet. :ph34r:

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Worth said:
Why is the UK blu-ray set triple the price of the DVD set?

It drops in price from time to time. I thought it was well worth it IMO. The audio unfort. is DD and not HD audio which I didn't realize those years back when I blind ordered it but I don't regret it since now it seems like U.S. won't get a BLU anytime soon.

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
Worth said:
Why is the UK blu-ray set triple the price of the DVD set?
The UK set is fully restored even to the point where all the episode footage included in the opening titles has been restored and reinserted at higher quality than before . There are 3 discs of bonus features including several thousand mostly unseen photos and also a high quality rather detailed glossy paperback book .
The bonus features highlight is the 50 minute documentary where Moore , Curtis and several behind the scenes boys including the late Bob Baker tell the whole story of the series .
Best story is Tony Curtis reacting to Joan Collins diva behaviour by calling her a c*nt.

In amongst the HD footage filmed for the episodes but ultimately unused is some interesting scenes from "A Home of One's Own" that shows the pre-credits scene was supposed to be longer and is set in the daytime which would indicate the scenes day for night presentation in the episode was done in post production.

The restoration to HD of these episodes is breathtaking and the quality is superior to some of the US titles like Star Trek TOS.

Full details here . The dvd is £30 , the Blu is £48 . Its well worth it

http://networkonair.com/shop/1414-persuaders-the-the-complete-series.html

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
The Persuaders!, The Protectors and Danial Boone DVD Sets will very likely be on my "Backup Santa List" in the months ahead (I'm still hoping the rumor about Death Valley Days comes true, as of now I'm all but convinced it's just a lot of Bull-loooooneeeee). :laugh: December 4th is the Deadline, if it doesn't play out I'll order these three from "The Big River" as Christmas Presents from Me to Myself. :biggrin:

With my luck on December 5 I'll probably find out the rumor turned out to be true, if that happens it'll just have to wait until Little (Stinker) Day (April 14) when I'll have my next "Binge Purchase". :rolling-smiley:

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Tvshowsondvd have updated their news to advise push back to 2015..and sales only in 2 retailers...

mark-edk

Second Unit
There were some audio sync issues on several episodes in the A&E sets. They might be fixed with this new set, or they might not. So I think I'll wait for a Blu release so I don't have to buy the show three times. (Three and a half if I count the A&E 'Spy Collection'.)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I bought the persuaders as blind buy. The show is very funny at times, especially how Curtis and Moore play off each other during the various scenes.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Classic action show, best thing about it is indeed that special Wilde/Sinclair relationship. Too bad the show only lasted so long, it really should've gone on but a certain 007 got in the way.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Yes, I'm really enjoying revisiting The Persuaders...it's a much better show than I remembered it being...UK , Italy and Cote D'azure location shooting are a big plus...great music by John Barry...well written plotlines with a witty interplay between the two great leads...high production values...the only distress I suffer is in seeing the more excessive examples of grotesque '70's men's fashions on display...that's painful, but I suffer that in viewing the Rockford Files or Mannix, for that matter...

Tony Curtis...now here was a talented and versatile actor...for me, one of the immortal and classic performances in American cinema was delivered by him in " Sweet Smell of Success"...Oscar worthy and brilliant...

Yes, too bad that Roger Moore and Tony Curtis didn't go on to another season at least...

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
HenryDuBrow said:
Classic action show, best thing about it is indeed that special Wilde/Sinclair relationship. Too bad the show only lasted so long, it really should've gone on but a certain 007 got in the way.

Actually , Bond had nothing to do with the end of The Persuaders.

Despite being popular worldwide it didn't do well in the US. Had it done so then a second season was on the cards.

Once the show ended the Bond producers came knocking again. They already tried to get Moore for OHMSS but he was still making The Saint and was unavailable

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
That's right, Tim! I shall be watching an episode from Network's wonderful Region B Blu-Ray set sometime this weekend to commemorate the occasion!

a20a7fc036ff42b0a8fe7bc0965bf667.jpg

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
That's right, Tim! I shall be watching an episode from Network's wonderful Region B Blu-Ray set sometime this weekend to commemorate the occasion!

a20a7fc036ff42b0a8fe7bc0965bf667.jpg

I wish network would do a music cd set for this series. They did a 4 disc cd set for the Saint many years ago.

I will also watch an episode or two. I love this show!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I wish network would do a music cd set for this series. They did a 4 disc cd set for the Saint many years ago.

I will also watch an episode or two. I love this show!
I'm not 100% sure, Tim, but I remember reading that there's a problem with quite a bit of the original music tapes for The Persuaders being missing and/or destroyed. Otherwise I'm sure Network would have released a CD set long ago. There's only a handful of cues from the series on their great 4 CD Music of ITC set.

61D2bJYPHiL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm not 100% sure, Tim, but I remember reading that there's a problem with quite a bit of the original music tapes for The Persuaders being missing and/or destroyed. Otherwise I'm sure Network would have released a CD set long ago. There's only a handful of cues from the series on their great 4 CD Music of ITC set.

61D2bJYPHiL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks