What's new

Delete a post? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Ok I must be blind. But I can't find where I can delete a post I made?? Where is the "delete post" button??

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Alf,

I think your vision is fine.

First, I found your duplicate post and deleted it.

Glad you figured out how to quote correctly.

Secondly, we don't offer a delete option, though you can edit your post up until
a certain time point.

The reason we don't offer a delete button is because we have had the rare
occasion where a member decides to leave this forum and take all their posts
with them. Erasing posts disrupts the continuity of threads.

Of course, if any member has a problem with a post they made and wants it
removed, they can contact us and we'll be more than happy to comply.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Interesting..I've never seen that in other forums. So if I make a silly mistake like my post in question and need it deleted etc, I must contact a mod?

Thanks for the heads up.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Alf,

I am on a dozen other forums. Not one of them allows you to delete your post. That's
not to say there aren't forums that do allow it, but I think it's very uncommon. Part of
the reason why when you register, there is a checkbox agreement, is that you are essentially
agreeing that the content you post on that site remains on that site.

Here, I don't believe we have such an agreement.

We do allow you to edit your posts up to a certain amount of time. Most all of the
forums allow this. Some only allow you to edit your post until the next person responds.

The problem with deletion, as I explained, is that we have had a very small handful
of members delete hundreds of their posts. It seldom happens, but as an example,
you get someone who gets pissed off at something -- decides to leave -- and wants
to remove everything they have posted here.

That's not good, considering you are now creating gaps in thread continuity.

I am really going into significant detail here about our reasons for wanting to protect
ourselves just so you understand that there's a downside from our perspective of giving
members the right to just delete their content willy-nilly.

If you make a silly mistake, Alf, you can EDIT your post immediately and just make
the correction. You can even remove the entire post and write "never mind" and one
of the Moderators will probably notice it and delete the post in its entirety.

By hitting the REPORT button, we get an immediate notification of any problem, so
you can report the post to us, let us know you need it removed, and we'll act rather
swiftly.

Really, very few forums allow the deletion of content.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Thanks for the info. The main other big forum I use (10+ years) has the delete feature and you can edit whenever you wish (it puts a "last edited by user name /date" in the post".) That's why I found it odd that a forum the same size blocks all that. It's never caused an issue (on the other site) that I've ever heard about or seen. Matter of fact, most folks prefer the deletion method vs. having space taken up by the unwanted posts. Keeps the place tidy and most folks learn to adapt to any possible changes.

But each place has their own interesting "rules" so it is what it is as they say.

Thanks again for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks