What's new

hello! I would like some advice. (1 Viewer)

m2k251mob

Auditioning
Real Name
cody
Hello! As the title says, I would love some advice from a guru. Here's what I got going on. My receiver is an onkyo txsr800, front speakers are vintage infinity 3000s 3 way speakers, 12" woofers, 5" mid, 2 inch tweeter. They are rated 4 ohm @ 250 watt a speaker. My center is an 8 ohm klh @ 120 watt, subwoofer pioneer 6 ohm 100 watt 8 inch downward driver. The surrounds we can disregard for obvious reasons. I've read a lot on crossover settings and whatnot. I have my onkyo set on minimum 4 ohm, it really makes the highs and lows cone out better on my front speakers. I have also run bass tests via YouTube on my fronts and would you believe it they actually accurately hit 35 hertz!! You see, the woofers have been replaced and they work well... Like a million people before me, I'm trying to figure out a good crossover setting, and whether or not to keep them on large or small setting. The pros of large setting is that they are getting more power, and in a but she'll sound generally better. On the other hand, on small the sub really does it a thing in all applications. Attached is a picture for y'all to see how I have everything spaced out. I have a somewhat small living room. Thank you for yalls time and patience. This really is a great sounding rig I've put together and would love to hear yalls opinions. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1410217220090.jpg
    1410217220090.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 88

m2k251mob

Auditioning
Real Name
cody
Also hello, I am 23 and I love home audio. I am running the 5.1 configuration. I understand this is the introduction realm. My apologies.Also, my current settings are 60 hz crossover, with them set on large. Subwoofer volume nob in the middle, with its frequency response nob all the way up. Thanks again.

m2k251mob

Auditioning
Real Name
cody
Great community I see y'all have here. Not trying to be rude but why ignore a new member and not give them a nice welcome and simply state your opinions?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It sometimes takes a bit of time for a reply.

My advice is, until you get a more powerful subwoofer, to run your speakers on large, someone else can pipe in if they wish, it's well worth buying a proper audio calibration disc,* i would set your receiver back to it's original 8 ohm setting too.

I'd also advise on upgrading, when money allows, your center speaker, it's the most important part of your system, experiment with the placement of your speakers, sometimes moving them just a foot out from the wall can improve the sound quality.

*Oh and don't forget the SPL meter.

m2k251mob

Auditioning
Real Name
cody
Thank you both very much! Also my receiver only has a 4 and 6 ohm minimum setting. I heard since my fronts are 4 ohm that my receiver should be on 4 ohm as well. Again thank you very much.*editAlso just wanted to remind you that the receiver is a little old, and the front speakers are 250 watt at 4 ohm also old. I am looking for maximum performance.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
It sometimes takes a bit of time for a reply.

My advice is, until you get a more powerful subwoofer, to run your speakers on large, someone else can pipe in if they wish, it's well worth buying a proper audio calibration disc,* i would set your receiver back to it's original 8 ohm setting too.

I'd also advise on upgrading, when money allows, your center speaker, it's the most important part of your system, experiment with the placement of your speakers, sometimes moving them just a foot out from the wall can improve the sound quality.

*Oh and don't forget the SPL meter.
Well it kinder imaging of the left/right when moving them inwards/outwards and toeing them in or bit out tilting them downwards or upwards depends on if there placed up high or on the floor. Trail and error.

Oh, and don't forget the RTA need to check frequency, oh multi-volt-metre for checking the impedance of the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks