What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dracula (1979) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Universal's Blu-ray release of John Badham's 1979 Dracula, with Frank Langella as our dubious fiend, is a quality affair.

Decent grain structure, color and shadow detail.  Nice black levels.  A bit "twitchy," either from an older transfer or a less than stellar IP.

But regardless, an overall pleasing presentation of a very entertaining film.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Robert, do you have an opinion on Badham's decision to re (or de)-color the film (originally for the DVD, I believe) and whether the original version could ever re-appear? I've always wanted to see this film, but the decision seems very controversial, and it has put me off seeing the film quite a bit.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
McCrutchy said:
I've always wanted to see this film, but the decision seems very controversial, and it has put me off seeing the film quite a bit.
Count me as one who hates the re-color but I shouldn't let that put you off from seeing the film. It's a wonderful addition to the cinema Draculas ans it's DEFINITELY worth seeing.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I've never seen the film any other way then this new BLU release. It would have been nice to have an option between versions. However since Universal was probably using more recent presentation of the film I doubt we would have gotten an HD transfer of the original film.

After researching I found out the film was released in its color drained version on LD in 1991 according to the LaserDisc Database (also last time original trailer was included) and has been in the "color drained" version ever since on home video. Previous releases on LD were all pan/scan.

After watching the new BLU I can't imagine what the old DVD looked liked on specific scenes esp at the start of the film before HD. So VHS and LD must have looked unwatchable at times.

also I really like John Williams score to this film. It contains some of his best more eerie music he ever composed.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I also hate the revision to the color scheme. I don't dispute Badham's right to do it, but it was such a gorgeous film in it's theatrical incarnation, which I enjoyed numerous times. I guess memories of those screenings will have to suffice, as I can't stand watching it now.

But, like Will, I don't think that should put off someone who hasn't seen the film before, since you don't know any other look to the film. I think it's an excellent version of "Dracula." It should be seen and enjoyed.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Powell&Pressburger said:
After researching I found out the last time this film was released in its original color scheme was according to the LaserDisc Database was the Widescreen edition release in 1991(also last time original trailer was included) and has been in the "color drained" version ever since on home video. Previous releases on LD were all pan/scan.
The widescreen LD from 1991 also had the drained color. This master was used for the first DVD release from Image Entertainment.

Neil

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I was at the first showing at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood one afternoon in 1979. The very movie-savvy audience applauded John Williams' credit at the start. There was no drained-of-colour look to it, of course. I've always thought that making the video reflect Edward Gorey's set design for the Broadway show was a nice idea that didn't quite work for the movie, but if they'd never done it for home video, I suppose I'd still be wondering what it would be like. It would be nice to have the option of seeing the theatrical "colour mix".

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
NEIL - I can't believe I mis typed that I wasn't thinking correctly I knew the correct edtion but didn't type it that way. I lost my head. I went back and edited my post. I don't want anyone running off to eBay for that LD edition only to be dissapointed.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Somehow or other I never got around to seeing this movie, in spite of having heard it's a worthy entry to the canon. Not theatrically, not on TV, not on any home video incarnation. And right now I'm thinking that's pretty fortunate, as I'll be able to sit down with this Blu-ray and take it in as the director apparently intended it (if I've paid proper attention and don't have my facts screwed up) ... and, you know ... enjoy it. :)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
This changing of color has really gone amok in Hollywood lately, I want movies to look like they used to with lots of natural colors like the world really is not this drained artsy-fartsy stuff. It draws too much attention to itself, and takes your mind off the story and action (at least it always does to me) so it really harms the experience and concentration. In fact, I refuse to watch anything classic that's been re-graded or most recent Tinseltown productions in general. Why it's seemingly accepted and no more rebelling against it from audiences and actors brave enough to be outspoken about it, is beyond me. You lose sharpness in the picture as well, a big fake looking soft smear when the image is so uniform and the palette limited.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I haven't seen the blu-ray, but I have the DVD and just find the look ugly. If we can't have the original colours, I'd rather turn the saturation all the way down and watch it in black-and-white.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
You can turn your color all the way up on your monitor and get a sense of what the color looked like in its original release. Apparently the director, Badham, wanted the film to be filmed in black and white. The studio said no and it was released in full color. I saw it in a theatre in the original release and it was beautiful. The only scene where John Badham allowed full color was the scene where Dracula bites Lucy for the first time. It is awash in bright red and is kind of a dream fantasy sequence. The score is also luxurious and adds just as much to this film's mood as the Jaws score did to that film. When the film was released on laserdisc the first time, Universal allowed it to be drained of almost all color at Badham's request and it has been that way ever since. It is still a beautiful film to look at even with almost all the color drained. This film is beautiful, elegant, very romantic, and quite scary in places. The tagline in the original advertising called it "a love story." John Badham the director is also the brother of Mary Badham who played Scout in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. She was also nominated for an Oscar for her first film performance in that film when she was just a child. I was always puzzled as to why the film received an "R" rating. It is very tame. There are a couple of slightly gory scenes, but nothing close to what we saw in Jaws which got a PG rating and deserved an R rating. This film is exquisitely produced and satisfying. Don't miss it. It is my favorite Dracula film BEHIND the original 1931 version which is still my favorite.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
warnerbro said:
You can turn your color all the way up on your monitor and get a sense of what the color looked like in its original release.
Loved your post Warnerbro, but the original color values are gone. You can't turn up color that no longer exists and even begin to approach what it looked like.

EManT2200

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leon
I own a Samsung 51inch plasma, which exhibits a gorgeous picture. I changed the color output value from 35 up to 70. I feel that it worked wonders for this Dracula blu-ray. Was a much more vibrant picture, much more enjoyable to watch. Just had to remember to change it back when I was done. Which of course I did forget to do, found out quick though when I changed to a tv station afterwards, lol.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Back and white or color, this film is stunning. Don't miss it. And you'll love the shot of Frank Langella scaling the wall. One of the scariest images in film is when he turns to look at the camera.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
HenryDuBrow said:
I want movies to look like they used to with lots of natural colors like the world really is not this drained artsy-fartsy stuff.
I assume then that you avoid three strip Technicolor films of the 30s, 40s and very early 50s? Such films as Adventures Of Robin Hood, The Wizard Of Oz, Meet Me In St. Louis, Leave Her To Heaven or Duel In The Sun to name but a handful are stunning to look at: vivid, vibrant, lush and colors that just pop! But no way are these "natural" colors reflective of the "real" world. They're unnatural looking (I'm not complaining, I love color films of that period) as if a rainbow got soaked up by a piece of celluloid.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Another pass, although to be honest I don't rate the film that highly, the best thing about it is John Williams lush score. A film is lit very differently for b/w or colour, & to present this film with about 80% of the colour wound out is the worst of both worlds, crappy colour, & not even b/w. I don't mind them mucking around with the colour, as I think The Wolfman remake looks stunning. Looking the pics over at caps-a-holic (yes I'm guilty of that), it looks like Universal have just used the same old HD master that they used for the DVD, well as far as Universal are concerned it's just some old catalogue title, & they're not going to spend any money or take any time revisiting it.

I wish someone would re-release the soundtrack album.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Oblivion138 said:
Indeed. Film has nothing to do with the "real world." That's what's so beautiful about it.
Then why did films look natural up until about 10 years ago, or so...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks