What's new

Boardwalk Empire: Season Five (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Surprised (and a little disappointed) that there are only eight episodes this season. On the up side, maybe it will be a little more focused, not that I've ever leveled that criticism at this series. Random thoughts about the premiere...

Life has been kind of rough for Chalky and Joe Masseria.

I hope Luciano's new friends don't have any blood borne pathogens. :)

Enjoyed the first episode quite a bit, particularly the scenes in Havana.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
Surprised (and a little disappointed) that there are only eight episodes this season.
I'm guessing that owes to the massive price tag for this show and that it isn't pulling Game Of Thrones numbers. Since Rothstein was killed off camera, it sure seems like they had at least another season planned but were probably given an ultimatum of wrap it up in one year and so they've skipped all the way up to the end of prohibition. All that being said, I have to give HBO credit for spending tons of money to make this show look as good as it does and for even giving them 8 episodes to wrap it up.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
doug zdanivsky said:
Why was Chaulky in prison again? (sorry)
Unknown or at least not specified. The last we saw Chalky, he was hiding out in Maryland after his daughter was killed in his failed attempt to have Dr. Narcisse killed. I guess he could be in jail for something relating to that or he could have gotten caught for something else he did in the seven years that elapsed between the seasons.

Joe S

Second Unit
Got to bump this thread up over the other one...

Chalky really took care of his new "partner" in Ep 3, That was a tense situation and Chalky waited for the opportunity to dispatch him. I suppose he heads back home and will be a "wanted man" like the previews say.

I'm enjoying this final season so far and hope they properly wrap it up.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Wondering if Chalky and Dr. Narcisse are going to be meeting again before the series ends? Narcisse is going to be having other difficulties besides Chalky if episode 3 was any indication.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm loving that Luciano is more prominent this year. I guess Vincent Piazza/Luciano wasn't on the show much last season because he was shooting Jersey Boys.
Walter Kittel said:
Wondering if Chalky and Dr. Narcisse are going to be meeting again before the series ends?
I sure hope so. Narcisse kidnapped his daughter and put her in the situation where she got killed so it seems like Chalky will take revenge if the opportunity arises.

And apologies to Cameron Yee for usurping his existing thread for this season.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Who lives, who dies???? At least, when it comes to the fictional characters in this series.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Who lives, who dies???? At least, when it comes to the fictional characters in this series.
I'm gonna guess that Van Alden, Eli, Chalky and Narcisse will all die. You'd think Nucky would die but I think they'll go against the grain and Nucky will live but he'll be forced out by Luciano, Lansky and Maransano so it won't exactly be a happy ending for him. Margaret will live and Mickey will live since he's a weasel. Gillian will get some kind of happiness since she's horrible but she's had some heinous shit happen to her (speaking of which, I assume that we'll see Nucky sell his soul by procuring a 13 year old Gillian for the Commodore in an upcoming flashback).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
davidmatychuk said:
Read about the "real" Nucky here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_L._Johnson

I think he'll survive, and I hope he does. It's a great show.
I think the show ends with Luciano/Lansky taking over then Nucky hosting the meeting at Atlantic City in which the structure of organized crime is discussed among the heads of the various crime families. Of course, Capone is headed to prison.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
What did you think of Marc Pickering's portrayal of an 1897 Nucky as deputy sheriff? At first I thought they had CGI'd Steve Buscemi. And those buck teeth! :biggrin:

The story structure parallels between this series and Godfather Part II are really becoming apparent in season 5.

I'm still enjoying it immensely, but this season feels a little bit rushed because of only having 8 episodes to wrap up everything.

We already know the fates of the real historical characters, but I feel that the fictional Nucky should probably have to pay for his past crimes with his own life by series end. But I'll accept whatever the writers dish out for him.

CarlLaFong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Wheeler
The actor playing the 1897 Nucky does a great job with the voice and the mannerisms. But the makeup, hair and those teeth make him look like the love child of Peewee Herman and Gary Dell'Abate.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Of course, Capone is headed to prison.
Spoilers, man! :) When the show started, I basically knew what happened to everyone but Rothstein so I spent the next 5 years deliberately not reading his (or any of the historical figures') Wikipedia entries to preserve some kind of surprise and then Rothstein's death ends up off camera.

CarlLaFong said:
But the makeup, hair and those teeth make him look like the love child of Peewee Herman and Gary Dell'Abate.
I'm gonna go to the set and scream out "BABA BOOEY!" while they're shooting a scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks