What's new

Onkyo TX-NR828 new ower - lip synch issues (1 Viewer)

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
I posted this issue in another forum with no results as yet and thought I would cast my net a little wider. :)
I just bought and set up the 828 a week ago. This is replacing my Onkyo TX-SR805 that I've had for 7 years. Everything appears to work fine, though the internet radio can be slow in carrying out commands on occasion, except for lip synch. I realize this is a problem with many receivers and their connected components. However, my old 805 rarely exhibited it. I have an Oppo BDP-83 blu-ray player and a Tivo Premiere hooked up.

I had rare instances of audio delay (or did it preceed?) with the 805 on my Tivo but almost never on the Oppo. With this new receiver it is fairly frequent with both. I'm not sure how to proceed here. It's starting to drive me batty. You're so sensitized to it that you see it perhaps when it isn't there. :angry:

1. The "Lip Synch" feature is enabled. Could this be making it worse instead of better? I think this is supposed to adjust the synch issue dynamically moment to moment - the best solution in my view if it works. Should I turn it off? Any other experiences in this area? My TV is a 3 year old SONY: Bravia KDL-46HX820. I don't see any setting for Lip Synch, so perhaps I'm out of luck?

2. There is an "A/V Synch" feature where you can set delays on the audio, assuming I guess you don't already have a lag problem and this makes it worse. A lot would seem to hinge on whether the image signal is arriving first or the audio. Should I try this? If I do, should I turn off the lip synch or use in conjunction? Maybe it doesn't matter. As the problem is not constant and really intermittent with no way to now when it will occur, would using this feature adversely affect those programs or discs where the audio and video are in synch? I appears to be a "global" setting working on all sources and material input to it.

3. I wonder if trying a factory reset might be a better first move but would it be worth the effort? I will have to write down all my settings as I might lose one or more in the process. Any suggestions here?

I can't see living with this issue the way it is. Just one of the really BAD outcomes you can get with HDMI - a format with serious flaws in my view. I keep thinking home theater electronics are supposed to improve not get more complex and prone to issues. :(

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Lip sync issues are usually because of the tricks LCD need to produce a picture. Are picture enhancements on(causing problems) or off?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hi Charles! I recently purchased an older Onkyo model and found myself having the same issue out of the box -- I believe it was the 560. Like yours, the "lip sync" feature was enabled out of the box. I had it connected to a plasma TV, which apparently are less prone to sync issues than LCD TVs.

When I turned "lip sync" off, it actually fixed most of the problem -- my theory was perhaps the receiver out of the box was trying to compensate for a problem that didn't actually exist, and was making it worse, and sure enough, when I switched it off, the results were better. I'd definitely suggest trying to switch that feature to "off" first - worse case scenario, if it doesn't make it better, you can always turn it back on.

I ended up noticing that things were still ever so slightly out of sync, so I then fiddled around with the "A/V sync" for a few minutes until I got it to look right. It was a very mild adjustment, I did it a couple months ago and I'm not home right now, so I can't remember exactly what I set it to, but that did the trick. I'm not 100% positive but I believe you can adjust it for each individual input, so if you're noticing that your Oppo is out of sync but your Tivo isn't, you can adjust them individually.

Hope this helps!

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Sam, I don't have any picture enhancements on. I have made no changes to my TV settings in a long time. I also don't let the 828 handle conversion. From experience I prefer that at the sources.

Josh, I took your advice and turned Lip Synch off for my Oppo and Tivo and so far so good. :) I will let you know if this takes care of it. Haven't touched the AV Synch as yet and if lucky may not need to.

I would add that I don't think the Lip Synch setting is input specific from what I see as it was set to On for both components and when I turned it to Off on the Tivo I found it was set to Off already when checking the receiver settings after switching to the Oppo later. It must be a global setting, unless I misunderstand in some way.

Thanks for the advice.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At least on my Onkyo, the "lip sync" is a global setting while the "AV sync" is input specific - which is part of why it took me a while to find them both! Glad to hear turning it off has been helping! (Pun not intended..)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I've got the Onkyo TH SR-875 and the lip sync isn't really a for lips. Its a video delay. I set mine to 250m/s to see what its like and laughed while watching Alien Resurrection on THX laserdisc AC-3 this morning. Everything looked like badly dubbed Japanese film.

It was prefixed at 10m/s and I set it down to 0m/s picture and sound looks fine so many you have yours set too or maybe its to do with HDMI maybe the video is delayed too long? But I not seen a snag with HDMI when using the projector. Well I don't used HDMI to the video only to recover the lossless or 7.1 all the video outputs is RGB for projector for CRT tv video lead.

Is there a video delay on the players that have HDMI not that I ever looked all works fine here.

Check with a video lead from AVR to the tv and see if the snag is still there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks