What's new

Into The Woods (Stephen Sondheim) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
obviously promoting the Disney version being released on Christmas. I have no idea how this will look, I thought they recorded the show to SD video.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I never thought this would even be a contender on Blu-ray. It was recorded on videotape, a few months before the show closed on Broadway. The entire original cast was brought back together for the taping, and there is an especially large hand given to Joanna Gleason (a Tony Award winner as the Baker's Wife) after her last song.

This was the show that cemented my love of musical theatre; and I'll be very curious to see how it comes across on Blu-ray. And yes, obviously this is being released to coincide with the new Disney film version.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Having just borrowed the DVD from the library, I don't have high expectations on the video, but the audio maybe.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One of my most memorable summer trips to New York was the summer I saw Les Miserables and Into the Woods during the same trip, both magical evenings at the theater. (Also saw Starlight Express, but unless one wants to talk about memorable sets, the less said about that, the better.)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i remember seeing this on CED and LaserDisc. It is an oldie by a verrrrrry goodie. Definitely standard def. But anything has to look better than the DVD.....i hope!....remember William Katt??!!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The DVD arrived at my house on Thursday from Netflix. I just finished it. Pre-ordering the blu-ray via the link is a no-brainer! BP was fantastic! It would be nice if the new Blu-ray it had some bonus content. I see at least a couple other Sondheim Broadway shows on DVD have commentaries.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I would think the reverse. This Image Entertainment release is hoping to benefit from the movie's release.

If this was owned by Disney, then I would agree with you.
Wayne_j said:
obviously promoting the Disney version being released on Christmas. I have no idea how this will look, I thought they recorded the show to SD video.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Much as I would be interested in owning this, I am going to have to wait for some reviews on the quality of the disc before I purchase. Ever since MY FAIR LADY and SPARTACUS and the first Blu-ray of OUT OF AFRICA I have been a wary lad. (Although I did pre-order MR. SMITH. Too good a deal!)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
What is the point of a Blu-ray of a standard def video recording from the late-80's? I mean, theoretically, the h.264 compression could offer a slightly better image than the current DVD but I doubt the sound has been improved. If I'm proved wrong, I'll be very happy. It's a great show and a wonderful performance.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
There is MONEY to be made! That, I suspect, is the main objective with this release, timed so perfectly with the theatrical release of the Disney film version.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I agree that a Blu-ray release of something shot on standard def video doesn't make much sense, and it may sour people expecting a true HD experience. Now, if they were including maybe several seasons or the entire run of a standard def TV show shot on video (GOLDEN GIRLS, ALL IN THE FAMILY, MAUDE) on a Blu-ray, that makes sense to me because of the storage space.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Chuck Pennington said:
I agree that a Blu-ray release of something shot on standard def video doesn't make much sense, and it may sour people expecting a true HD experience. Now, if they were including maybe several seasons or the entire run of a standard def TV show shot on video (GOLDEN GIRLS, ALL IN THE FAMILY, MAUDE) on a Blu-ray, that makes sense to me because of the storage space.
Besides audio improvements, there can be video improvements by going to Blu-Ray. Files can be presented with less to no compression - depending on the codec chosen. A standardized up-convert can be done (rather than relying on each person's differing hardware). Remastering/authoring can be done using 2014 (instead of 80's) technology.So, while the results will in no way approach what can be done with film, it might be a better presentation than the current DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks