What's new

Native 4K Projectors (1 Viewer)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
How many native 4K home theater projectors are on the market now? There's the Sony of course. Googling doesn't show many, and some of those are not even true native 4K. Anyone know of impending launches of 4Ks?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I can only think of five for the home, all Sony, all expensive, the rest are cinema projectors, we might see more launched at Cedia.

The Sony VPL-VW1000, Sony VPL-VW1100, Sony, VPL-VW500, Sony VPL-VW600 and an ultra short throw one, oh yeah Sony is also launching a cheaper one at Cedia, the Sony VPL-VW300, i would say it's still too expensive for most people.

I would say it's going to be late 2015 when JVC introduce a proper one, their current projectors can handle a 4K signal and they do pixel shifting which results in better than 1080p signals but it's still basically at it's heart 1080p, oh and i would say there is a question mark as to whether they handle 4K blu ray because of the new copyright protection Hollywood has insisted upon.

I would expect Epson and Panasonic to introduce 4K models in 2015 too, as for DLP,* they are lagging behind and might miss the boat, they need to do something, their technology has not moved forward for over half a dozen years now.

Epson have a laser/led projector at Cedia, better contrast than the current 5030 model and also using pixel shifting to emulate 4K.

*That's going to rely on Texas Instruments adapting their cinema chips for the home market.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Looks like it's another waiting game, and you are right, it will probably be another year or two before prices start to get realistic. I guess I'm switching priorities and concentrating on my Dolby Atmos setup instead.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
It looks like the Sony VPL-VW300 is running just over 9 grand. I'd like to see it at about $7500 or less. :)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dr Griffin said:
It looks like the Sony VPL-VW300 is running just over 9 grand. I'd like to see it at about $7500 or less. :)
I'd like to see them at around £2999, that's about $4600, maybe in 2016/2017, of course optical quality will drop with prices.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I'd like to see them at around £2999, that's about $4600, maybe in 2016/2017, of course optical quality will drop with prices.
They should be sold for £100.00 pounds that way they sell like hot cakes and everyone not super rich who enjoy films can watch it for £100.00 but I don't see that happening so no point in buying one.

Can't you just get two 1080 normal projectors and overlap the images and surely that would = 4k?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
andySu said:
Can't you just get two 1080 normal projectors and overlap the images and surely that would = 4k?
No, that wouldn't work but, some people do that for increased brightness with 3D films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks