What's new

Universal Horror Film Legacy Reissues not on BD! (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Has anyone noticed the newly reissued Universal Horror Legacy box sets? They are greatly expanded and now include more films. So if you buy the Wolfman Legacy edition, you get the original 4 films plus Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, House Of Dracula , House Of Frankenstein, and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. All of the sets are similarly expanded , so there's a lot of repetition of films .There are sets on Frankenstein, Dracula , Creature, Invisible Man, Mummy ,and Wolfman There's also a 30 film box set. These are all single sided discs, which is much better than the 2 sided discs of the earlier releases. I wonder if we'll see Blu-rays on these?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
When it was first announced, I was hoping that it was a blu-ray set. That would be great!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Yeah, I saw this. They also include 3 of the Abbott and Costello "monster" movies:

[*]Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
[*]Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951)
[*]Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955)
[/list]
While A&C Meet Frankenstein is out on BD, I'd love to have the other two on BD as well.

I already have the classic monsters boxset, but I'd double-dip if this 30-film collection ever becomes available on BD.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm double dipping on this set since the price is currently decent on Amazon.ca. I never did manage to get a set of the dual sided sets that worked right.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I replaced my Legacy with this set for the same reasons - I dont like dual sided discs, and never liked the Legacy package. For me the DVD case would never easily slide into the slip cover. It was a hassle,and when amazon put the new set on sale I jumped and it looks great, packaging wise anyway. Ill pay for it with the Legacy sets I parted with :)

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i watched about 6 films from this set last night..... they seem to be more recent transfers than the 2004 legacy sets.

'son of frankenstein' looks remarkably good.

also the menus are different from the legacy sets... no more spooky sound effects.

i am happy to keep both sets, universal horror are my top fav catalog titles!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Dang, it's great that they seem to be newer transfers, but if that's the case it stinks they didn't go all out and make them blurays.

Of course, they could be better encodes of the old transfers too I guess. I'm just glad that they work ha ha. My set is delayed till the end of september from amazon.ca

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Russell G said:
Dang, it's great that they seem to be newer transfers, but if that's the case it stinks they didn't go all out and make them blurays.
This could be a sign that a future blu ray release is coming. ( unless as you say they are just better encodes. )

Does anyone have the worldwide sales figures for how well the Monsters boxset sold on blu ray. ?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I can't understand double dipping for this when you have them already. Is A&B Meet the Mummy in it's correct AR?

Do you actually think that they went back and did anything to these in reference to restoration?

Save your money and let's see if next year they restore, release in their OAR and put them out on BD...then it's the time to double dip!!!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
John Sparks said:
I can't understand double dipping for this when you have them already. Is A&B Meet the Mummy in it's correct AR?

Do you actually think that they went back and did anything to these in reference to restoration?

Save your money and let's see if next year they restore, release in their OAR and put them out on BD...then it's the time to double dip!!!
Some of us are weak and have to buy every Universal Monster set. :(

I hope if they do a blu set, it's a full blown legacy set that has movies like The Black Cat and other non-monster film. They're amazing in their own right, and deserve the treatment too.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i bought this set after reading about all the horror stories of flipper discs failing on those legacy sets.

i've been lucky, i think, with my original sets because back then i bought them individually at toys r us & did not buy the 3 monster box set.

also, i want 2 copies of the monster sequels, especially since i have those --truly spectacular--

transfers of the early monsters from the universal blu ray set.

finally i love the artwork!! on this new set--- i'm displaying these on my bookcase shelves!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
marcco00 said:
i bought this set after reading about all the horror stories of flipper discs failing on those legacy sets.

i've been lucky, i think, with my original sets because back then i bought them individually at toys r us & did not buy the 3 monster box set.

also, i want 2 copies of the monster sequels, especially since i have those --truly spectacular--

transfers of the early monsters from the universal blu ray set.

finally i love the artwork!! on this new set--- i'm displaying these on my bookcase shelves!
Marcco00, did you buy the individual sets , or the 21 disc/30 movie set. If you bought the big box , did it include the individual monster sets exactly , or were the films reworked (like in chronological order as opposed to by monster?)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
LouA said:
Marcco00, did you buy the individual sets , or the 21 disc/30 movie set. If you bought the big box , did it include the individual monster sets exactly , or were the films reworked (like in chronological order as opposed to by monster?)
If by "big box" you mean the one that included busts of the monsters, it simply had the individual releases packed into that giant box.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
John Sparks said:
I can't understand double dipping for this when you have them already.
Worth it if only to get rid of the flipper discs & the superior packaging. The earlier sets hold up pretty poorly in that regard and would probably be best sold off second hand (assuming they aren't defective flippers).

It's hard to say if Universal will ever release these on blu-ray. They're very stingy when it comes to "lesser" B-features on blu. They're mostly relegated to DVD reissues.

Hopefully someone can put up some comparison screencaps so we can see if these are all truly newly remastered. Could be only some of them are.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
John Sparks said:

+1.
marcco00 said:
Do I understand you correctly? You want two copies of a film?

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
Russell G said:
If by "big box" you mean the one that included busts of the monsters, it simply had the individual releases packed into that giant box.
correct, on the first go-round, i did not buy the big dvd set with the busts.

i just watched all of the mummy sequels from this newest set---- and to my eye the images are a little softer and darker than before.

pulled out 'the mummy's ghost' from the original legacy set for comparison--- slighty brighter, slightly more crisp, dirt and scratches on the same scenes.

both films end with the "deluxe digital studios" logo.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
marcco00 said:
pulled out 'the mummy's ghost' from the original legacy set for comparison--- slighty brighter, slightly more crisp, dirt and scratches on the same scenes.

bot
So more edge enhancement and contrast boosted.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
LouA said:
i have all the original legacy sets, monster by monster.

i now have this new set, which is also divided up monster by monster.

this new set has different menus, newer encodings perhaps---- a new repackage.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Wow, how many of us, just on "A&B Meet Frankenstein" movie alone, had it on LD, then stand alone DVD, then the box set(?) and finally the BD???

Some of these are beloved (always looking for the best print) and some are just fine when they first released them on DVD.

Just give us "This Island Earth!" That's all we (I) want...in a beautifully restored BD and in its OAR!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks