What's new

new home, multiple ? (1 Viewer)

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
I am buying a new home, plan on having two "main" media areas.

Home is large (5K sq ft), first area will be in great room as you enter, mostly background music, TV, sports just noise essentially, on stemwall, tray ceilings (9' main 10' in trays), one story. This room (including kitchen, living, bar and dining) is 31X33. "TV" area is roughly 15X18, but very open. Planning on repurposing my 65" LED and one of receivers (maybe) for this area and doing all in walls for aesthetics. This receiver and area will also have additional 4-8 in wall/ceilings for ambient music.

Second room will be dedicated HT, it is approx 12WX20LX10H, on slab with second story above. Plan on doing true theater seating, 100" screen, projector.

Would like to use what I have where I can and get what else I need, most of my reading tells me in walls/ceiling for less "formal" viewing area and free standing for true HT. I "think" my Paradigms and receiver are pretty good but can take the heat if not!

Here is what I have:

Onkyo TX-NR717
Yamaha RX-V620 (extra receiver)

Paradigm
CC-170
PDR-12
Mini Monitor V2 (x2)

Sharp Aquos 65" LED, not sure of model

looking to use what I can but prepared to drop a moderate amount of coin on dedicated (the in walls are relatively cheap so not worried).

Also: the dimensions of the dedicated HT room are somewhat flexible. I have about 900 sq ft broken up into a few strange rooms I can play with somewhat.

thanks in advance for any help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, your theatre, you are starting row one around 8-10'...???Is that 110" 16:9 or 2.35? Or doing CIH?(or not heard of CIH)Painted wall, screen or AT screen?

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
schan1269 said:
So, your theatre, you are starting row one around 8-10'...???that's the planIs that 110" 16:9 or 2.35? Or doing CIH?(or not heard of CIH)
not sure about aspect ratio and do not know of CIHPainted wall, screen or AT screen?
planning on screen but open to suggestions

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you aren't sure about CIH (Constant Image Height) did you get the AT part of the screen? Acoustically transparent. Those are normally used when a false wall is built

Here's a false wall all framed up. When completed, the speakers will be covered by the acoustically transparent screen. The four 18" subs below the screen get grill cloth the match the wall. Everything disappears.
5229395095_521f11ea96.jpg

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
while that looks fantastic I am not looking to go THAT over the top (3 18"s is overkill for me)

I do now get the AT reference though and that would be fantastic, best of both worlds as far as speaker performance and aesthetics

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
also want to throw in there that I am willing to do wall and ceiling treatments if it helps, I can frame, drywall, tape, texture etc myself.

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
I do plan on using acoustic drywall.

My main concerns are with overall cost and re-purposing as much of my existing stuff as possible.

Current rough budget for the remodel is $128K.........

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
that is the budget for the entire remodel of a 5K sq ft house LOL, including a shop.

I was hoping to keep my HT and living room setup budget at about $6-$8K

HT:
Screen
Projector
rear and side speakers (probably do 7.1)
seating for 8ish
Center/fronts/sub: I am hoping to reuse the ones I listed above but have not had any comments indicating they will work (or not)
Receiver (same as above, hoping the Onkyo will work?)
seating platform and room treatments (I can drywall, paint and frame no problem)

Living room:
I think I really only need in-walls/ceilings as I think the 2 zone Yamaha listed above, while old, will easily handle those and the Aquos will be fine for that space. I think I can be done with this for +/- $1K?

So I guess to get down to brass tacks: can I use what I have (which will save a good bit of coin) and move on to choosing surrounds/rears/projector and screen for HT and built ins for LR? If I have to start from scratch with speakers and receiver for HT that immediately changes my budget by thousands.

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
Maybe I should restate the primary questions here?

Can I use the items I have as described? That will dictate what direction I go both for the LR and home sound and the HT room.

More concisely stated:

will the above Yamaha handle a very moderate (read; builder grade) 5.1 in wall/ceiling and 4-8 6.5" in ceilings for simple ambient music?

will the above Onkyo and Paradigms handle a 12ishx20ish HT room as far as receiver, fronts, center and sub?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Onkyo has preouts, in case you need more power than it provides.And the Yamaha also has enough power to kill your eardrums...

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
I get that, just wanted to know that Yam would carry all the add'l ambient music speakers, it will more than take care of the built in setup.

How about those Paradigms? Will those do the job for Fr/Cen/Sub and I can fill in some surrounds/rears (whether 5.1 or 7.1)? was thinking maybe the Monitor 1 or 3 Paradigms?

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
trying to keep the cost down somewhat, I can grow into speakers, make these rears etc. Just trying to use what I can where I can.

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
OK, closing on the house in a week and sewing up much of the other stuff. Looks like I could easily get this done for what I planned. Is there a site I can do a diagram of the room on and get better input on design?

Going to pull up the oak hardwoods as soon as we close, would like to get room layout and risers done ASAP. Have also found that I can probably get some bigger, better front (and center) Paradigms used fairly cheap, I think my sub is plenty, could always add another. (? input welcome?) wondering if the mini monitors could be used as rears with some bigger front towers. Found a nice pair of 7v.4 towers for $300 locally. And an upgrade to the CC 350 or 450 is relatively cheap as well if needed.....

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
perfect, I think I got the guy down a little even on those. I do think I should go up a little on center with those as fronts and minis as rears, but will stick with the 12 as sub for now.

Found a CC350 dirt cheap locally, might as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks