What's new

Philips Home Theater System with LG TV problem! (1 Viewer)

kingjameskjf

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I have a Blu-Ray/DVD home theater system that I have hooked up with an HDMI cable directly to my TV HDMI input. It's a Philips model HTS3051B/F7 shown here: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=HTS3051B/F7&scy=us&slg=en

My tv is a 2014 LG plasma Smart 3D TV 60PB6900 shown here: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-60PB6900-plasma-tv

My problem is that I can get the theater system to work fine while playing blu-ray and dvd's but not with anything else, streaming, TV, etc. I tried hooking it up differently and using the TV's external speaker option and the Philip's different audio sources but with no success. Obviously I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Unless you tell us what you've tried...It looks like "support" on the Philips site covers everything they make. So, what connections does this one have?

kingjameskjf

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Not too sure what I've done other then tried to hook up coaxial and RCA cables in random variations trying to find one that works. I know that isn't very helpful but I'm not very educated in this department. It has: Coaxial Digital Audio (S/PDIF) [Orange or Black RCA Jack] and L/R (Stereo) Audio [Red & White RCA Jacks], and one HDMI.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If that HTiB has coax, your TV more than likely has Toslink.Toslink/coax adapter. They are sold both directions...and only work one way.I doubt that TV has an analog output(headphone or otherwise).(And I would be right on the TV. The audio output is optical...meaning Toslink)

kingjameskjf

Auditioning
Real Name
James
schan1269 said:
If that HTiB has coax, your TV more than likely has Toslink.Toslink/coax adapter. They are sold both directions...and only work one way.I doubt that TV has an analog output(headphone or otherwise).(And I would be right on the TV. The audio output is optical...meaning Toslink)
Ok, I'm sorry I'm such a noob at this but what does that mean? Does that mean that I somehow connect via the Toslink on my TV? How would I set that up?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only wrinkle...If the optical on this set is a combination mini-toslink/headphone(lots of computers use the same thing).That would look exactly like what your cell phone has that you connect headphones to. LG doesn't mention what the optical is...It either is in the shape of a sideways house...or tiny like your cell phone has.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
kingjameskjf said:
Ok, I'm sorry I'm such a noob at this but what does that mean? Does that mean that I somehow connect via the Toslink on my TV? How would I set that up?
Like I said...Toslink/coax adapter. Amazon should have a few thousand to choose from.

kingjameskjf

Auditioning
Real Name
James
My toslink converter and optical cable come in tomorrow. Is there any specific configuration to set it up or is it pretty innate?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since you are using STB, no.Connect, pick the input on the HTiB and you are good.If you get gaming systems(like PS), that also have optical...you'd need a toslink switch. Those range from remote models.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks