What's new

Newby in MD (1 Viewer)

wompus

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping this forum can help me with some home theater woes. I am working with an inherited home theater system circa 2002. It is a pretty high end system but is obviously dated. Currently all of the components are working but the RF universal remote system is problematic. It's not original and was replaced only a few years ago but is causing some serious fuss. I've always had an interest in this stuff so I am enjoying the challenge of working on a nice system albeit a few years old.

Thanks in advance!

wompus

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin
Know anything about URC MX-880's?? The more I read about them the more I am thinking it's going to get replaced. Going to try and find the software and get it working reliably first though. It seems like it should work better than it does for the cost.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nope, I use all individual remotes. Too much hassle to try to get Bluetooth and RF working together.
Samsung Tab and LG Pad have apps that will switch back and forth from a combination of IR, WiFi and Bluetooth.I have the Pad 8.3(LTE). I discovered the reason why LGs apps no longer "work" is because they want you using the remote app baked in(the remote app is baked into the Pad with IR).When I use the LG 530 I turn it on(ABC region) by 1, 2 or 3.When I use Vtuner, Netflix etc and click search...the remote switches from IR to wifi...and simultaneously becomes a full screen keyboard. Once "send" is picked, it reverts back to IR and the keyboard goes away.This Pad 8.3 has two way IR feedback(Onkyo premiered that ages ago on the 8XX and up Networked AVR). So if the Pad senses the IR it fired didn't hit the target, and the function you chose works via wifi or Bluetooth, it resends the command...or brings up a message to point the Pad(G3 does exactly the same thing).

wompus

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin
schan1269 said:
Samsung Tab and LG Pad have apps that will switch back and forth from a combination of IR, WiFi and Bluetooth.I have the Pad 8.3(LTE). I discovered the reason why LGs apps no longer "work" is because they want you using the remote app baked in(the remote app is baked into the Pad with IR).When I use the LG 530 I turn it on(ABC region) by 1, 2 or 3.When I use Vtuner, Netflix etc and click search...the remote switches from IR to wifi...and simultaneously becomes a full screen keyboard. Once "send" is picked, it reverts back to IR and the keyboard goes away.This Pad 8.3 has two way IR feedback(Onkyo premiered that ages ago on the 8XX and up Networked AVR). So if the Pad senses the IR it fired didn't hit the target, and the function you chose works via wifi or Bluetooth, it resends the command...or brings up a message to point the Pad(G3 does exactly the same thing).
That's interesting to hear. I'll mess with the URC remote for a bit, but I'm thinking a wifi/BT/etc solution may be the ticket. They seem much more DIY friendly than the big brands.

Individual remotes are out of the question as the whole system minus the TV/Projector is in a closet in the hallway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks