Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Great Race -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray Warner A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 of 66 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,555 posts

Posted September 01 2014 - 07:45 AM

POPULAR

Blake Edwards' 1965 The Great Race makes it Blu-ray arrival via the Warner Bros. Archive Collection, and I've a feeling that if the brilliant Mr. Edwards were still with us, he'd be thrilled with what he'd see and hear on this release.

Beginning with the original Overture (I still prefer the word "Overture" to fade in and then out, leaving a dark screen), The Great Race is a magnificent Blu-ray.  I recall thinking, when I first saw the film in 35mm dye transfer, that it was very highly resolved.  The image comes through on Warner's Blu-ray as color, densities, shadow detail, black (and white) levels, along with specular glints coming from Mr. Curtis' teeth are all perfect.

Process shots, which can be an Achilles heel, work beautifully and transparently to the surrounding production shots.

Audio, in DTS-HD MA 5.1, is likewise, perfect.

One of the most beautiful Blu-rays of a catalog title I've seen in quite awhile.

This was not an inexpensive Blu-ray to produce, and at under $19 at Amazon, a total winner.

Image - 5*

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

• Mark Walker, Paul Hillenbrand, Reed Grele and 10 others like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 66 ONLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,041 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted September 01 2014 - 07:50 AM

Wow...so great to hear! I've had this one preordered since day one! WAC is knocking it out of the park with this, Out of the Past, etc.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#3 of 66 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts

Posted September 01 2014 - 08:05 AM

I kinda wish they would show curtains for the overture and have them open at the end. They could close at intermission if there is one.
  • KPmusmag likes this

#4 of 66 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,464 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted September 01 2014 - 08:07 AM

Oh yes! In any top five, wanted on Blu-ray list of mine, The Great Race has always been among them. So it's great reading Robert Harris' opinion, but I can't say I'm surprised. In a short time Warner Archive Blu's have gained a reputation for being the best, & I'm sure a lot of hard work has gone on behind the scenes to achieve that.

My release of the year.
  • atfree likes this

#5 of 66 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,400 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted September 01 2014 - 08:16 AM

Sold! A childhood favorite of mine though never as funny as it thinks it is, IMO, ditto It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Thanks for the review.

• David_B_K likes this

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#6 of 66 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,555 posts

Posted September 01 2014 - 08:17 AM

Oh yes! In any top five, wanted on Blu-ray list of mine, The Great Race has always been among them. So it's great reading Robert Harris' opinion, but I can't say I'm surprised. In a short time Warner Archive Blu's have gained a reputation for being the best, & I'm sure a lot of hard work has gone on behind the scenes to achieve that.My release of the year.

The amount of effort and expense is up there...

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#7 of 66 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,243 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 01 2014 - 09:00 AM

POPULAR

This one's special -- not only for being great in its own right, but for being the source of very happy family movie-going memories in the same general time frame and same vein as IAMMMMW.  Wonderful stuff.

• SAhmed, KPmusmag and atfree like this

#8 of 66 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,269 posts

Posted September 01 2014 - 10:53 AM

Wonderful to hear about the quality of this Blu-ray!  First saw The Great Race with my fellow resident-students which happened to be released theatrically in 1965 at the time that was the end of my freshman year of high school. A perfect ending celebration experience for the group that I spent my first school year with and which left fond memories of the end of my freshman year!

Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#9 of 66 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,474 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 01 2014 - 12:49 PM

POPULAR

Oh, I could not be more thrilled or excited to read a write-up on a movie. It's one of my all-time favorite comedies, and I was hoping Warner Archives' perfect track record would hold with it. Seems like it's exceeded even my expectations.

Hooray! Can't wait for my copy to arrive!

• Mark Walker, SAhmed, David_B_K and 2 others like this

#10 of 66 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted September 01 2014 - 01:02 PM

Now I hope they come through with RYANS DAUGHTER soon.

• Ken Koc and ahollis like this

#11 of 66 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,233 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted September 01 2014 - 02:56 PM

If Amazon keeps street date on this, I'll be getting this to watch on my birthday next Tuesday...so gratified to know that Mssrs. Feltenstein & Price have hit another home run for Warner Archives...thanks for the rave review, Robert! :cheers:

• Raul Marquez,MD likes this

#12 of 66 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 643 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 12:01 AM

I kinda wish they would show curtains for the overture and have them open at the end. They could close at intermission if there is one.

Until I used an Oppo,"pictorial" Overtures used to drive me up the wall.

Then I discovered the Oppo has a function where you can cut the picture and still run the sound.

You then click a button when the music finishes and then, presto, on with the show.

#13 of 66 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 438 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 12:07 AM

Yes its the Pure Audio Button its a shame you do not have a button to fade the lights and open the curtains.

#14 of 66 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 02 2014 - 01:39 AM

POPULAR

The amount of effort and expense is up there...

RAH

I hope Warner is rewarded with some good sales.  I was never a big fan of this film, but I will buy this BD because I want to support the studios that are releasing classic films onto BD and to encourage them to keep releasing such films.

• ThadK, JohnMor and John Skoda like this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#15 of 66 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 492 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted September 02 2014 - 01:53 AM

Yes its the Pure Audio Button its a shame you do not have a button to fade the lights and open the curtains.

Like Matt Helm, I get Slaygirls to do that.

• ahollis likes this

#16 of 66 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,450 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 10:57 AM

Happy to hear that this Blu Ray turned out so well as its one of my favorite films. Can't wait to get this.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#17 of 66 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 11:27 AM

Until I used an Oppo,"pictorial" Overtures used to drive me up the wall.

Then I discovered the Oppo has a function where you can cut the picture and still run the sound.

You then click a button when the music finishes and then, presto, on with the show.

Hmm...Never knew about that button. I shall have to try that when I watch The Great Race on Blu-ray. Thanks.

#18 of 66 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 643 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 12:25 PM

The remote lighting system is being installed as we speak.

Decided against curtains as my Scope screen is only 8'wide.

Would look like  a Punch and Judy show ( if any one is old enough to remember the comparison ! ) .

#19 of 66 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted September 02 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hmm...Never knew about that button. I shall have to try that when I watch The Great Race on Blu-ray. Thanks.

I think the implication in RAH's review was that the overture is already against a black screen, but I could be misreading him.

#20 of 66 OFFLINE   Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 06:55 PM

The dvd edition of this had a huge, glaring error in the main titles.  The wrong "reaction chorus" tracks were used as each star's name came onscreen.  There are supposed to be cheers for Tony Curtis, whistles for Natalie Wood, and booing for Jack Lemmon.  All of this was wrong on the dvd 5.1 track.  The cheers came for Jack, the villain, the whistles came for Tony and Natalie got the cheers.  OK, but not correct.  If you switch to the French soundtrack, you hear the correct placement of these effects.  My concern is that this has not been fixed for the blu-ray.  I will hold out a little bit of hope that it did get corrected, although, I am not certain if the powers at be even knew it was incorrect in the first place.  Fingers crossed.

• schmo likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Warner, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users