What's new

2014 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I didn't see another thread, so I figured I'd start one.

Scott, I heard that the Lions were looking at drafting the best WR available to pair with Megatron.

Are they bringing Matt back so they can tap into his vast experience with high pick WRs?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dheiner said:
I didn't see another thread, so I figured I'd start one.

Scott, I heard that the Lions were looking at drafting the best WR available to pair with Megatron.

Are they bringing Matt back so they can tap into his vast experience with high pick WRs?
Well, Martin Mayhew was the assistant GM under Millen, so he has learned at the feet of the master in this area. :lol: And Mayhew did pass on Michael Oher to take tight end Pettigrew in the first round a few years ago, so he's already shown what Millen has taught him.

While the Lions do need another WR to play opposite CJ, taking one in the first round would once again be a bad idea. The team needs lots of help in the secondary and at linebacker. Considering the lack of good judgment in the latest coaching hire, though, I do not expect much intelligence to be shown in the draft, either.

Worst run franchise... EVER!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I share your sympathies, Steve.

Was he still a hands-on guy, or had he turned over running the team?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dheiner said:
I share your sympathies, Steve.

Was he still a hands-on guy, or had he turned over running the team?
He was never much of a "hands on" guy -- more of a "head stuck in the sand" guy. I'll refrain from commenting anymore, since he just passed away, but there is really nothing good to say about him as an owner. Any accolades that you read about him as team owner are people just being polite because he passed away.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Scott Merryfield said:
He was never much of a "hands on" guy -- more of a "head stuck in the sand" guy. I'll refrain from commenting anymore, since he just passed away, but there is really nothing good to say about him as an owner. Any accolades that you read about him as team owner are people just being polite because he passed away.
That's as I thought.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Not being an avid sports fan, can I just ask how "Disney World" got in the header? Did they do the draft at WWOS?

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Ejanss said:
Not being an avid sports fan, can I just ask how "Disney World" got in the header? Did they do the draft at WWOS?
After the Superbowl: "I'm going to Disney World!"

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Talib signed with the Broncos. That will hurt the Pats.

Most of the other big news is who was cut, not who was signed. Demarcus Ware and Julius Peppers, plus rumors of Revis and Steve Smith soon to be let go for salary cap reasons.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,

I'm hoping that either Revis or Rodgers-Cromartie come to the Patrios. I'd prefer the former. We'll see what happens.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,Agreed. Belichick would continue to crack jokes and smile way too often, while Revis would be as straight-laced and stoic as ever. ;)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Losing Talib is disappointing, but I'm not that sorry that the Pats didn't match what he got from Denver! Maybe they should've franchised him.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Gosh, Detroit has signed Golden Tate to a five-year contract.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/03/detroit_lions_agree_to_terms_w_4.html#incart_river

The Lions and the Patriots have at least one thing in common. It seems that neither organization realizes that defense often wins championships. New England continues to do virtually nothing to strengthen their defense, and this has been going on for about four or five years now. They (like the Lions) would do well to improve their secondary first and foremost.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Gosh, Detroit has signed Golden Tate to a five-year contract.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/03/detroit_lions_agree_to_terms_w_4.html#incart_river

The Lions and the Patriots have one thing in common. It seems that neither organization realizes that defense often wins championships. New England continues to do virtually nothing to strengthen their defense, and this has been going on for about four or five years now.
Yep, that's been the Lions way for many years, too. While the team needed another receiver, they need help in the secondary much more.

Denver appears to be going "all in" to try and win before Manning retires. They have signed Talib, TJ Ward, and now Demarcus Ware to bolster a defense that was their weak point last season.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,I'm probably being a little bit harsh on New England (though I stand by my Lions comments), but I really wish that they would concentrate all of their efforts on defense. Even with losing Hernandez, Welker, and (often) Gronk, their offense is good enough to win it all *if* they had a defense like they had back in 2001-2007 or so. Even their Super Bowl team of 1986 (which got blown out by the Bears 46-10) had a very good defense for the majority of that season. They showed that while defeating the Jets, Raiders, and the Fish en route to the Super Bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks