What's new

Does keeping receiver on prolong its life? (1 Viewer)

Boeriemore

Grip
Real Name
Barry
I have recently replaced my Marantz SR 5003 with a Sony STR - DN 5010 receiver. The Marantz packed up within four years due to "corrosion on all boards" according to the Marantz workshop. I opened it up and could find no signs of corrosion, only dust. I would like to know if my Sony would last longer if I leave it on at all times.
My computers main boards usually packed by within two years due to constant heating and cooling of the components. My current computer is now four years old with no problems but it is permanently on or in standby mode. I would love to know whether leaving my receiver on would prolong its life.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The average usefull lifespan of AVR is 4-6 years.Things change that often. My last AVR to "actually die" was an Onkyo 707. Yet my Integra 5.8 and 7.8(which are 7 years old) soldier on.I was given an 807 when the 707 died(that was the warranty exchange). It soldiers on.My newest is an Onkyo 1008. Bought a 708 from a fellow HTF member. Have a reserve Denon 4810.When any of them pack it in...I'll buy another one.

Glen B2

Agent
Real Name
Glen
Barry, do you live in a humid or corrosive environment, like near the ocean ? My Marantz SR19 AVR is going on 14 years, and in immaculate physical and working condition. The same goes for other vintage gear I have that is almost 40 years old.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would not think that keeping the any receiver on all the time would be good for longevity. But I still have my previous Yamaha RX-V995 that is over 14 years old and it is still going strong.

Boeriemore

Grip
Real Name
Barry
I live near the coast, very humid in summer. Maybe Marantz should place a warning on the unit, something like "not suitable for use near the coast"
My Rotel amp lasted here for about fifteen years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks