What's new

Name the powerful Center speaker (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Walter Herrmann
Nazmul Islam Tipu said:
I need a center speaker. pls mention me some powerful center speaker which can deliver loud vocal sound....
which one u prefer?
How about the one that's on the left. A friend of mine has that one. The one on the right is one of my surrounds.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Never ever mismatch LCR I can not stress that any clearer. LCR should all be using identical speakers.

They should be all placed at same height. None of this putting the speaker for centre above or below the tv they should all be at same height level.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
gene c said:
Or this one...

http://shop.mbquart.com/c/home-audio_vera_center-channel

But they only have the center and subwoofers left, no more mains.

Shipping is a rather steep $120 and you can only return it within 30 days, if you haven't opened it. MSRP was $2200. Weights over 40 lbs.
The way the speaker looks to me (could be mistaken - had minor surgery today so mildly out of it) it could be used as mains too and at about $1.5k for 3 could be interesting. I believe my center (in the main system) weighs 61 lbs (Thiel MCS1) which I use with Thiel 3.7s (about 90 lbs. each and my prior 7.2 mains were about 155 lbs. each)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Phil A said:
The way the speaker looks to me (could be mistaken - had minor surgery today so mildly out of it) it could be used as mains too and at about $1.5k for 3 could be interesting. I believe my center (in the main system) weighs 61 lbs (Thiel MCS1) which I use with Thiel 3.7s (about 90 lbs. each and my prior 7.2 mains were about 155 lbs. each)
I originally bought a pair of 05 bookshelves in Eldesberry (cherry) just to give them a try but a few days later all in that color were gone. So, I bought three of the centers in Birdseye Maple. They only charged me the $120 to ship all three which arrived shrink-wrapped on a pallet in a bobtail.

They also made a tower and a larger bookshelf (the 1B). The 1B has the same drivers and presumably crossover. Only difference is the center has a slightly larger cabinet and two bass ports in the front. The 1B has one in front and one on the back. I removed the the bottom plates on the two I use as fronts and stand them on their ends. The 6" drivers are wired for 6 ohm or 12 ohm.

Incredible detail and mid-range clarity.
003.jpg

021.jpg

001.jpg

020.jpg

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Gene - looks great. I got stuff moved in to the new place earlier this year and it's only been about 3 months since the main system got back together (took it apart the beginning of last November to start moving stuff from VA to FL) and got my new Odyssey Audio rack for the main system. Have some tweaking here and there left on mainly secondary systems between now and winter.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Andy: The second, third and forth pictures are one of the 05 bookshelfs. The cabinet is sandwiched betwwen two faceplates, one holding the drivers on the front and the other the crossover and binding posts. There are four rods (six on the centers) which pass through both plates and the cabinet holding it all together.

Phil: I just finished installing that fake hardwood flooring so things aren't yet put back where they should be. It also explains all the carpet padding and cardboard under the furniture! I'm thinking of doing the un-thinkable. Painting all the speakers in automotive quality black metalflake. Or, if I had the "kahuna's", candyapple red! Somebody. Quick. Slap me! Custom built stand (to perfect their heights and stability) are in the works.

I've always wanted to hear Thiel's. Your's are gorgeous! I've come close to buying some older models off CL just for a look/see but haven't yet. There are so many wonderfull speakers out there. But these MB Quarts made me realize that some other speakers I had which I though were pretty good, really aren't.

016_zps8bcfb230.jpg
017_zpsafb1ec95.jpg
018_zps736d4475.jpg

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Gene, there used to be a Thiel dealer I believe in Palo Alto (probably 15 years back). I started with 2.3s and an SCS2 center. I was on a business trip and was undecided whether to go with the 6s or 7.2s. The dealer carried the full line (and has Sonus Fabor too and Dunleavys). They also had the huge Levinson monoblock amps (my VA dealer had the smaller 33H monoblocks which I helped deliver with a friend who worked at the dealer - did his set-ups with him those days and the 33Hs were 220lbs each shipped in their crate). I was able to decide on the 7.2s at that point. Along the way, I ended up with the MCS1 center and got another SCS2 for the surrounds, then picked up from another customer of the store old slightly beat up SCS2s in black ash and stripped them and painted them the color of the walls and mounted them in my old master bedroom. Then got the 3.7s and Power Points are surrounds and use one of the SCS2s as the center channel in the old master bedroom and the other as a rear center in the old 6.1 main system. When I moved to the current place I had all in-ceiling put in the master bedroom so that I use the four SCS2s for side and back surrounds.

I had the rack and speaker stands (for the sides and rears) built by Odyssey Audio. Klaus did a nice job. The rack weighs about 350 lbs. I use my old main room furniture in a spare bedroom system with old B&Ws (P6s as mains - probably own them just over 20 years and bought them new - almost sold them a couple of times but I have B&W LM-1s in the office and I will be moving them in the system as surrounds and using in the in-ceilings in that spare system for Dolby Atmos)

Back-up Two shot 1.JPG

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
reeseherrmann said:
Just looking at them last few posts, you guys got some nice systems.
Your system looks fine too. The last pic was my old main system furniture (now in a spare bedroom which I keep dark for daytime HT). I did not want the screen to sit above the 40 inch tall Salamander Synergy furniture towers (in the main system) as I sit closer to the screen in the new place. I also use to have the 55 inch back lit LED (shown in the prior post) hanging on the wall of the old master bedroom system so I just keep a 32 inch TV in the new master bedroom now for stuff like news and have a 92 inch screen (pic below) that folds into the ceiling and in-ceiling speakers (except for the sub) so it does not stick out as much.

MBR System.JPG

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
reeseherrmann said:
What brand is your rack. It looks awesome (different).
Thanks. It is Odyssey Audio - http://odysseyaudio.com/ I had the room designed for the specific screen height (the bottom of the screen is about 32 inches off the floor) and was going to buy another rack and the company I was going to buy from was not responsive. I was at the Capital Audiofest in 2013 and had lunch with one of the guys I knew and he was getting rid of the rack brand I was originally going to buy and getting one from Odyssey Audio and suggested I talk to Klaus. So I went to their room and ended up custom designing the rack (which weighs about 350 lbs. Took a bit but was worth it. I got two pair of matching stands too for my 4 Thiel SCS2s, one pair being 24 inches high and the other 20 inches high (so it fits under a counter top).

View attachment 14292

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I should add that Odyssey's amps, preamps and speakers are superb for the money too. At the Capital Audiofest in 2013, they were easily in my opinion the best bang for the buck. I ended up buying the demo Candela preamp from the show for a spare system, which has a HT Bypass option built but I am using it in a 2-channel only system at least for now. Their components also have a great warranty - http://odysseyaudio.com/service-20yearwarranty.html

One would have to spend much more with something sold through a dealer network to get something of comparable quality.

View attachment 14293

Real Name
Walter Herrmann
Phil A said:
Your system looks fine too. The last pic was my old main system furniture (now in a spare bedroom which I keep dark for daytime HT). I did not want the screen to sit above the 40 inch tall Salamander Synergy furniture towers (in the main system) as I sit closer to the screen in the new place. I also use to have the 55 inch back lit LED (shown in the prior post) hanging on the wall of the old master bedroom system so I just keep a 32 inch TV in the new master bedroom now for stuff like news and have a 92 inch screen (pic below) that folds into the ceiling and in-ceiling speakers (except for the sub) so it does not stick out as much.

attachicon.gif
MBR System.JPG
I am happy with it. Since I took that picture I switched the towers with the subs. Now the towers are next to the display. For a small apartment not a bad sounding system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks