Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Off the shelf: Conan the Barbarian (1982)

Blu-ray Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 of 30 OFFLINE   Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted September 16 2014 - 10:38 PM

Yes the "Hyborian Age" of Robert E. Howard predates known history. I just always imagined Conan with a rough American manner of speech, so as to stand out from the civilized types, sort of in the manner of Kirk Douglas' Spartacus, where the gladiators were American (for the most part) and the Roman elites British (for the most part).

Unfortunately, this is something that many critics and lay (or non-Howard-fan) audiences would likely not be aware of. I'm somehow not surprised that Ebert was aware of it, though. He was a pretty informed fellow.

One has to believe that John Milius and company did more than a respectable amount of research into both the fictional continuity and "facts" and the real history of ancient barbarianism etc., and must have felt that Arnold's accent happened to match or just work very well with the character and landscape.  

#22 of 30 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 12:07 AM

I'm trying to think of other R-rated adult fantasy films and I'm coming up pretty empty at the moment...what else is there?

Posted Image

When I was watching the 30th anniversary Ghostbusters re-release, I was thinking it would be nice if Columbia brought this back to the big screen for a week. Damn shame the sequel seems to be dead in the water.

#23 of 30 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,731 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 03:02 AM

Sword and the Sorcerer was very much an R-rated Fantasy film. I'm not saying it's a classic, but it was a favorite of mine as a kid. Barbarian Queen was another. It's just plain bad. 

---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#24 of 30 ONLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts
  • LocationPallookaville, USA

Posted September 17 2014 - 03:35 AM

"Excalibur"...Boorman's take on the King Arthur legends...

Yes! That may be the true king of adult fantasy films...can't believe I drew a blank on that...good call. I think I might throw Boorman's Zardoz into the "adult fantasy" realm as well...not that seeing Sean Connery running around in a red diaper was a fantasy, that was pretty odd...but the film plays like some twisted sci-fi/fantasy hybrid and probably leaning more toward fantasy. 

zardoz-poster.jpg

I know not everyone likes this film but I'm one of the folks that really loves pretty much everything Boorman has done...including this. 

#25 of 30 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted September 17 2014 - 11:42 AM

I'm trying to think of other R-rated adult fantasy films and I'm coming up pretty empty at the moment...what else is there?

It doesn't quite meet the fantasy criteria, but most definitely meets the "adult" criteria:

Posted Image

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed. Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT490 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR

#26 of 30 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted September 17 2014 - 11:44 AM

This one meets BOTH criteria.....

Posted Image

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed. Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT490 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR

#27 of 30 OFFLINE   Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 12:34 PM

Posted Image

When I was watching the 30th anniversary Ghostbusters re-release, I was thinking it would be nice if Columbia brought this back to the big screen for a week. Damn shame the sequel seems to be dead in the water.

I had thought of this one but figured we were talking only of live-action films

#28 of 30 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 05:08 PM

Yes! That may be the true king of adult fantasy films...can't believe I drew a blank on that...good call. I think I might throw Boorman's Zardoz into the "adult fantasy" realm as well...not that seeing Sean Connery running around in a red diaper was a fantasy, that was pretty odd...but the film plays like some twisted sci-fi/fantasy hybrid and probably leaning more toward fantasy. 

Posted Imagezardoz-poster.jpg

I know not everyone likes this film but I'm one of the folks that really loves pretty much everything Boorman has done...including this. 

I'm embarrassed that I forgot about Zardoz. Rick and Morty did a hilarious homage to it recently, complete with giant floating god head.

#29 of 30 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,728 posts

Posted September 17 2014 - 05:10 PM

Sword and the Sorcerer was very much an R-rated Fantasy film. I'm not saying it's a classic, but it was a favorite of mine as a kid. Barbarian Queen was another. It's just plain bad. 

I've felt icky watching SATS since learning a stuntman was killed performing a fall in the film, and the filmmakers used the footage anyway. :wacko:

#30 of 30 ONLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts
  • LocationPallookaville, USA

Posted February 28 2015 - 07:15 AM

I'd like to say that I have come to believe that this film is the quintessential "comic book adventure film" far eclipsing Nolan and his Batman films or any other film of this type or genre.

Here's a special treat for anyone that enjoys this Conan film or Conan in general...a seven hour discussion of the films and the works they were based on primarily focused on this film in particular. 

Enjoy:

http://projection-bo...-barbarian.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Universal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users