What's new

Attempting to build home theater! Need help :) (1 Viewer)

cotrones

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Cotroneo
Hey guys so my name is Tom, and I will be moving back into school in a few days. This year my buddies and I have a suite and, of course being the audio lover I am, I volunteered to purchase a surround sound/home theater system for our common room. The room is about 18'x15'.

I recently bought a Sony HTiB (BDVE-3100) wow'd by the 1000 watt sticker on the box. I was hoping that this would be a great system for our common room, however the sound barely fills my bedroom at home (15'x12'). Now I am looking to bring that back to Best Buy and either find a better HTiB with actual loud and good sound, or build my own surround sound system.

My parents currently have a system that I love messing around with. It is a few years old and includes a Pioneer VSX-D814 receiver and a Bose 5.1 speaker set to top it off. That thing fills our living room and much more! Now I would love to have a system like that but am currently in a tight budget being a college student. My friends and I constantly watch movies and play video games quite often, but like most college kids, we love to have our music bumpin. I was wondering if anyone knows a louder HTiB system, or if anyone could help me put together a decent surround sound system within a budget of about $500. Thanks guys!

Shortened version:

Location - College suite common room
Budget - $500
Room size - 18'x15'
Question - HTiB vs. build your own system?
Goal - Awesome loud system
Uses - for PS4, XBox360, Movies, Apple TV, TV, LOUD MUSIC!

Thanks again guys :D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So you have $2000 in other stuff...And want $500 sound.Got it, checking out now.Enough threads devoted to Sony SS, Fluance, Pio AJ and du jour $200 AVR of the week.

cotrones

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Cotroneo
schan1269 said:
So you have $2000 in other stuff...And want $500 sound.Got it, checking out now.Enough threads devoted to Sony SS, Fluance, Pio AJ and du jour $200 AVR of the week.
Sorry that was misunderstood. Only the PS4 is mine, which was a gift (and a great one at that). My friends are bringing everything else. So I only have $400 worth of stuff and yes only a $500 budget unfortunately. It's hard to make money as a kid :(

cotrones

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Cotroneo
schan1269 said:
I just checked A4L "package deals".If you can stretch to $700...Denon AVR with Focal Sibs. Damn good system.
I'm not sure if you are still on, but I am wondering what you think of this setup:

Denon AVR-S500BT with (for now) Pioneer SP-PK22BS 5.1 set (also with the purchase of another powered sub)

This would cost me around $550. Please let me know what you think.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Those are Pio AJ. Mentioned hundreds of times here. They have two "these are a great deal" threads.If that AVR has everything you need.

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
cotrones said:
I'm not sure if you are still on, but I am wondering what you think of this setup:Denon AVR-S500BT with (for now) Pioneer SP-PK22BS 5.1 set (also with the purchase of another powered sub)This would cost me around $550. Please let me know what you think.
It'd be tough to do better for less...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks