What's new

Maureen O'Hara to Receive Honorary Oscar (1 Viewer)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Dave B Ferris said:
Yes, indeed, good for her.

I always thought Richard Widmark deserved an honorary Oscar.
December 26, 2014 will mark Widmark's centennial.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
A friend of mine was quite upset when Sidney Poitier, who had already won a competitive Oscar, was given an honorary Oscar - when Richard Widmark was still alive.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dave B Ferris said:
A friend of mine was quite upset when Sidney Poitier, who had already won a competitive Oscar, was given an honorary Oscar - when Richard Widmark was still alive.
One has little to do with the other in regard to Poitier versus Widmark. With that said, you have to remember that Poitier was a ground-breaking actor during a significant social change in our culture. I agree that Widmark deserved an honorary Oscar, but I think Poitier deserved his award too for my stated reasons.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Not really sure how accepting an honourary Oscar diminishes her. Hitchcock got one as well. So did Deborah Kerr and Peter O'Toole. It is just a way of her peers honouring her...before it is too late.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Robert Crawford said:
One has little to do with the other in regard to Poitier versus Widmark. With that said, you have to remember that Poitier was a ground-breaking actor during a significant social change in our culture. I agree that Widmark deserved an honorary Oscar, but I think Poitier deserved his award too for my stated reasons.
Yes; however, in that same vein, I believe Poitier himself also spoke about how instrumental Widmark was in terms of welcoming and helping Poitier (when others in Hollywood did not or would not).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dave B Ferris said:
Yes; however, in that same vein, I believe Poitier himself also spoke about how instrumental Widmark was in terms of welcoming and helping Poitier (when others in Hollywood did not or would not).
Like I said, it's nothing against Widmark because even if Poitier didn't received that honorary award, how do we know it would've gone to Widmark anyway.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Keith Cobby said:
I am disappointed with this news. She should have left her work to speak for her. Like Hitchcock, Maureen O'Hara will be remembered long after many AA winners are forgotten.
I don't understand that line of reasoning either.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
GlennF said:
Just read Maureen O'Hara is to receive an honourary (note the Canadian spelling) Oscar this year. Glad to see it. Always enjoyed her, thought she was beautiful, and she appeared to have a great sense of humour. Glad to see her finally get some recognition.
By the way, congrats to a favorite actress of mine that I had a crush on, ever since first laying eyes on her while watching The Hunchback of Notre Dame as a young lad.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Coincidentally, I just finished watching Corman's World, and discovered that even Roger, too, finally got his Honourary Oscar.

As a career-spanning 'body of work' acknowledgement, I think on some level the Life Achievement Oscar actually carries more weight than many of the in competition awards...which too often seem more ephemeral, blowing with the winds of artistic and social fashion. Heck, I've lost count how often I've had to look up the actual winners for some years because I just couldn't believe "this legend lost to that flash-in-the-pan???"

But better late than never. So good for Miss O'Hara*!

* Much like Kerr, I'm hard pressed to think of a single bad performance during her amazing 6 decade career on screen.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Robert Crawford said:
Like I said, it's nothing against Widmark because even if Poitier didn't received that honorary award, how do we know it would've gone to Widmark anyway.
True. My friend is equally annoyed that Doris Day has never been given an honorary Oscar.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Sorry, didn't mean to cause panic. I will be more careful in my titles and am glad you changed it Mike.
Now I'll have to watch HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY or THE QUIET MAN again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks