What's new

HDTV Sound Output (1 Viewer)

ds_tx

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrell
Under what conditions (if any) is the audio output signal (digital/optical/toslink connection) limited or blocked by an HDTV (specifically an LG 42LV3500-UP)?

I want to output audio from anything played on LG HDTV to DAC connected to mini amp with stereo speakers (and possibly a subwoofer).

Yet, I'm being warned by Schiit tech support (maker of Modi DAC) to check with TV manufacturer and by LG service repair center, that commercial copyright protection may block signal.I find this incredible, because LG itself makes soundbars that connect by toslink and claims that audio can be output to them to play anything that plays on the HDTV. If there was "fine print" to that claim, I find it incorrigible that LG wouldn't make it known in their advertising for soundbars,Also, Bose makes soundbar and other types of sound systems that connect by toslink and their sales told me there was no problem with sound output from movies played on my model of LG HDTV.Is this business about digital audio blocking for real or some more of the same tech support confusing BS?
If so, please explain with detailed specifics.For instance, how does Cinavia affect audio ouput through toslink? What else might effect output?
I can't get on with deciding what system I want to buy or not until this issue is cleared up. LG service center made it sound like the only way to be sure was to buy a home theater receiver that connects with HDMI whereby the TV communicates to "know" that the connected device is not capable of recording. But I don't like 5.1 surround sound, and don't want to buy an expensive home theater receiver when a DAC and stereo amplifier are all I want/need.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If there is DRM blockage on playback to a TV, it isn't LG's fault.Although, what is the source? And why is a TV even involved?

ds_tx

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrell
I don't have blockage, but don't want to buy equipment that will have blockage and then have to return it.

I connect my MacBook Pro to LG HDTV as second monitor with mini display port to HDMI cable, and it works fine for movies played in VLC Player and music played in iTunes 10 which has coverflow display for album art and track readout.
I got rid of my Sony DVD player because the picture output wasn't as good as from my MacBook Pro.

All I want to do is upgrade sound output, and now I get this red flag about how the sound from anything I can play on the HDTV might not output from the optical audio output.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And again, if...(big IIFF )there is blockage. There will be blockage on every single TV that has ever been made, and will ever be made.Why not go MBP straight to a DAC?

ds_tx

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrell
So what's the big IFF that would cause blockage?How do soundbar manufacturers get around it?

I know toslink comes on late model MBPs with Retina display, but not on earlier models like mine (mid 2011).

Besides isn't toslink audio only? which means there'd have to be yet another cable, toslink for audio, HDMI for display.
I'm planning on eventually replacing the mini display port to HDMI cable with Apple TV for wireless connection, but need to figure out how to dependably get sound out through LG HDTV optical port.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Like DSD. Does the TV(does any TV?) support that?Is the MBP capable of sending DSD anyway?If you meant "everybody supports it" FLAC*, then...no problems.*I'm sure there are TVs that only support FLAC via USB.

ds_tx

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrell
I'm not streaming video, so DSD is irrelevant.I'm just playing movie DVDs (maybe blu ray in future) and music CDs.I do also use digital files such as .iso, .dvdmedia files and ALAC (Apple Lossless in mp4 format)and a UEBO media player which also connects to HDTV with HDMI.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DSD isn't video.As long as the TV supports those audio formats. It supports them.If you run into issues, have the MBP convert to PCM.

ds_tx

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrell
I guess you missed that Schiit tech support said there could be issues from tv blocking sound output. Yes, they informed me it had to be PCM, but that's not the issue. There's audio control panel on LG HDTV by which I can switch to PCM, but that doesn't display until a device is connected downstream.It has nothing to do with my upstream MBP. There is no way to set a MBP to output PCM, only peripherals.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No, I did not miss "the blocking" issue.You are missing the entire point.If the TV cannot digest the audio you send it in the first place, DRM is the least of your concerns.Have a real hard time believing you can't set a MBP to output PCM over displayport.

ds_tx

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrell
Did you read the apple support link I posted?? There is nothing in there about setting the ports on the MBP itself to PCM.The HDTV is digesting audio my MBP sends it just fine, I can hear it playing.
What I want to know is under what conditions would the HDTV block or NOT output that very same signal that my MBP sends it that the TV plays just fine.If the TV blocks based on DRM of DVD or CD, then what types of DRM block audio output?
How can movie and cd sound be played through soundbars that connect to HDTVs with optical cable if such DRM blocking is an issue??

ds_tx

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrell
OK, MBP 2011 does have "an optical output port hiding inside the headphone jack. To use it, you will need a mini-Toslink to Toslink cable, and a DAC that accepts optical input."
See -
http://www.hifizine.com/2012/06/computer-audio-on-the-mac-getting-started/
So if I connect directly to the DAC from the MBP, then I still have to connect video to HDTV with mini display port/HDMI cable, and turn sound off from TV.
Yes? At least that's a work around if audio output from HDTV is blocked at TV Toslink connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks