What about a PUG? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
imgres.jpg

As a kid, through my teen years and into adulthood, I always had a dog.

For the past 15 years I have been without a dog. The main reason is because the larger dogs I owned just got too cumbersome to take care of.

Been a cat man for many years (all my life, in fact). Love cats. However, cats just aren't loyal like dogs. Everything is on their own terms. They may love you, but it's not the unconditional kind of love that dogs offer.

I kind of want a dog again. However, I have made up my mind it must be a small dog. If I am away for most of the day, I can easily put the animal in a very large cage with food and newspaper beneath it.

I don't want a poodle. I don't want a little yapper.

For some reason lately, I have had pug on my brain. Really, they look like the coolest little dogs anyone would want. They are ridiculously cute. They look like something that could easily be my best buddy in the whole wide world.

Anyone here own (or have owned) a pug?

I am currently looking at the local SPCA to see if they got any pugs in. I could go to a breeder and pay $1k for a dog, but I have been warned that sometimes these breeders are not a good thing and that dogs who have been interbred are sometimes healthier. That wisdom came from my Mother, so I am not so certain how reliable it is (as much as I love her).

And you know what? I don't want to just hear from pug owners. I want to know, in general, what people think of pugs. Because so far a lot of people are saying, "Oh, I adore those dogs, but I wouldn't own one."

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
they look hysterically cute. Wish I had more to give you but I would certainly consider one. I'm at the same place as you - really want a dog, had one most of my life, have a cat, love the cat. My biggest concern about getting a dog right now is time. I commute and my wife works and as of next year both kids will be away at college. I think it would be unfair to leave a dog on its own for so much of the day. Really do miss having one around though...

I say go for it on the pug

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm not a dog expert, but my understanding is that snub-nosed dogs like pugs and bulldogs are prone to respiratory problems. So medical issues/ costs are a greater risk for these breeds.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Smaller dogs are really tough to housebreak, so expect "accidents". I had an Italian Greyhound, never 100%, she'd even pee in her crate rather than hold it. Now have a black lab, absolutely 100% housebroken since I got her at eight weeks old, she's now six years. I don't even crate her, she just won't relieve herself in the house. Wanted to get another IG, but like pugs, purebreds are going for over $1K, so I got a nice mixed breed, roughly 90% black lab for $75. Have never regretted the decision.
My only experience with a pug... Neighbor had one, really cute, but never housebroken. When they moved out, the house sat for three years, cleaners, floor refinishers, etc. couldn't get rid of the odor.Adorable dog that I often gave treats to, but despite their little mouths, they can bite. One day the thing jumped up and bit my thumb, scraped the skin and totally ripped into that section just above your nail.
Not blasting all pugs, this one may have had bad owners and attitude issues.
Good luck ;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I was a kid, we had a pug. Bill was a marvelous dog. Smart and loving. When he got excited he would start snorting, it was rather comical. When he was frightened, his little corkscrew tail would straighten and go limp.

He was a wonderful dog and from the little exposure I've had to them since, they have remained friendly, sweet dogs.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Johnny,

Was he a healthy dog for most of his life?

Pugs are very prone to medical issues.

For once, I would love to hear of one of these dogs living a long, healthy life.

And, Stan, thanks for your insight. I may not go with a purebred either.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As owner of large and little...MaltesePomeranian German Shepherd Lab/bull mix(not pit)Larger dogs are easier.Just stay away from anything Spitz if you are leaving it alone.By the way...Pomeranian is the Austrian(I think) term for...Small Spitz.He stays outside with the other dogs. He's housebroken, but the Maltese mess all over the house. They've never, no matter how much you try. I've never seen a housebroken Maltese.The other dogs, when they are in, go to the door if they have to go.Riding in a car. Small dog, pain in the ass. They have to be held, they won't just sit there.Large dog? Sit there and look out the window.Not saying to get a 60+ pound dog. Just one that will be a minimum of 20.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Not too sure on the pug, but I'll have to second this recommendation:

"
Corgi.

Pugs are cool, but....

Corgi."

Photos:

When I was a youngster - I really wanted a dog, and had to convince my parents on one.

We had a beagle when I was younger, and after failing the obedience class several times, my parents were fed up and didn't want another dog. I was convinced that they just picked the wrong bred of dog, so I did some research on dog breds

And what I came up with was a Corgi -- with the reasons of:

They are a "working dog" and are very smart and trainable - they actually were bred for herding sheep. Other smart working dogs are either guard dogs (tend to be on the larger size, and worry about these around children) or hunting dogs (also on the larger size, but not an issue around children)

Our hound dog just wanted to chase rabbits, or anything that moved, and is why he failed the classes.

Corgi's are a good size - working dogs tended to be on the larger size, but these are what I would call medium sized dogs - not too big or too small.

-- I guess my research paid off, and we eventually got a Corgi...and have had luck with multiple ones over the years. My brother is on his second one for his family. They are very good with kids. Only issue I have had with them is they have a very thick coat that needs to be brushed, and shedding can become an issue...

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
schan1269 said:
By the way...Pomeranian is the Austrian(I think) term for...Small Spitz.
Pomerania is a historic German province up by the Baltic, and therefore on the other side of Germany from Austria.

As is true with most relationships, personality (canineality?) trumps appearance.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I might have had it backwards then. Spitz isn't german, Pomeranian is...Been a few years since I looked it up. Anyway, had an Eskimo that went blind...lived till he was 17.Eskimo and Pomeranian are both spitz. "All white Spitz" are Eskimo...Although both Samoyed and Akita are Spitz as well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Talking to my sister who shows Swissies at NYC Westminster, and is a dog enthusiast.Pugs, first choice. Fun, friendly, durable. Not barky. Everyone loves these ugly dogs. FrenchiesBichon, but may be expensiveItalian greyhounds and whippets, but they do better in warmer areas. Corgis are higher energyTerriers require lots of attention and activityBeagles are annoying and barkersBassett hounds are stupid and difficultBull terriers are potentially dangerous.I looked into Havanese, before getting my cats. They're small, friendly, minimal shedding. But they're not common and finding a good breeder is not simple, and may be hundreds of miles away. Small mutt could be healthier than pure bred, and a good choice for a small dog. Good luck!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ronald Epstein said:
Johnny,

Was he a healthy dog for most of his life?

Pugs are very prone to medical issues.

For once, I would love to hear of one of these dogs living a long, healthy life.

And, Stan, thanks for your insight. I may not go with a purebred either.
I'm certain Bill lived to be over 10, maybe he was 12 when he passed. I remember the reason he was euthanized was because his hind quarters could no longer support him. I do not recall any other significant medical issues.

Yes, he was a healthy dog for most of his life.

Keep in mind, that when I was a kid, dinosaurs still roamed the earth so it's been a while. Whenever I see a pug in person or on a video, they appear to still be the same dog, with no noticeable differences in the breed.

I remember the day we went over to the breeders house and (I'm about 8) she told me to sit on the floor. I hear the pounding of little feet and turning a corner and running into the room are 6-8 pug puppies who proceeded to launch themselves at me, covering me with puppy kisses. I rolled on the floor laughing and having the time of my life. The puppies were very, very enthusiastic.

I remember seeing a commercial for dog food I guess, where they showed that very same thing happen to a little boy. It was exactly what happened to me.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
Talking to my sister who shows Swissies at NYC Westminster, and is a dog enthusiast.Pugs, first choice. Fun, friendly, durable. Not barky. Everyone loves these ugly dogs. FrenchiesBichon, but may be expensiveItalian greyhounds and whippets, but they do better in warmer areas. Corgis are higher energyTerriers require lots of attention and activityBeagles are annoying and barkersBassett hounds are stupid and difficultBull terriers are potentially dangerous.I looked into Havanese, before getting my cats. They're small, friendly, minimal shedding. But they're not common and finding a good breeder is not simple, and may be hundreds of miles away. Small mutt could be healthier than pure bred, and a good choice for a small dog. Good luck!
Bull Terriers are NOT dangerous.Bull Terrier is not a Pit Bull Terrier. Not even remotely close to the same temperament.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
schan1269 said:
Bull Terriers are NOT dangerous.Bull Terrier is not a Pit Bull Terrier. Not even remotely close to the same temperament.
Her comment is that there is a unpredictable personality trait that can appear in bull terriers, causing unexpected and atypical violence. I'll have to double check on pit bull vs bull.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
Her comment is that there is a unpredictable personality trait that can appear in bull terriers, causing unexpected and atypical violence. I'll have to double check on pit bull vs bull.
Spuds MacKenzie and "the Target dog" are Bull Terriers.When young, and socialized, they are one of the easiest breeds to own.Patton owned one. Basil Rathbone.Marc Jacobs.Taylor Swift.Eric Clapton(owned nothing but them)Many times voted as best dog to own in a city.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
My brother has a bull terrier and "Henry" is very unpredictable and very strong. I personally would not consider one of them to live with me.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I train my dogs. My two Bull Terrier mixes are loved by everybody.Neighbor had a Lhasa Apso I had to repeatedly kick to get off a kids ankle once.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveF, spot on with your sister's mini dog reviews. Italian Greyhounds and Whippets love warmth. My IG would live in front of the fireplace, find the nearest sunbeam or crawl under the covers on the bed. But they're also probably the most loveable breed I've ever come across, especially if you're the owner, they will never leave your side.
Terriers can be a big mistake unless you have a lot of time to spend with them. I wanted a Jack Russell, based only on the silly reason I loved Eddie from Frasier, but he was a highly trained dog. Terriers are very "busy" and hyper, except for the Boston Terrier, which isn't a true terrier.

One to avoid in my opinion is the infamous Min-Pin, a miniature pinscher. Tiny, but mean little bastards.

As mentioned, the snub-nosed breeds like pugs, Pekingese, Shih-Tzu, etc. can have terrible respiratory problems, but the snoring is cute.

One thing nobody has mentioned is that smaller dogs, especially toy breeds usually live very long lives. The larger the dog, almost always the shorter the life. The large breed Irish Wolfhound often will only live 5-6 years, Great Dane 6-7, where many toy breeds can live well into their late to mid teens. There are exceptions to this of course, depends on breeding, how well the dog is cared for, food, exercise, etc. But in general toys will outlive larger breeds.

Larger dogs with big chests also can often fall victim to bloat (stomach twisting, torsion and other terms). This can literally kill a dog within hours. Something toy breeds rarely experience.

Ron, glad you're doing some research and asking around. It's nice to make an informed decision rather than just picking up whatever looks cute at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks