What's new

Search Engine Issues (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm having problems finding threads from before October 2012.

I've been looking for a thread of mine from 2010 or '11 on my search for a new AVR. But I cannot find it. A search of any thread in which I've posted in the Receiver sub-forum only yields a small handful of threads...none of which is the one I'm looking for--and none of which pre-date 2012.

Also, I used to be able to enter the phrase Weekly RoundUp into the search engine which my name filtered as author and get a listing of each RoundUp dating back to 2004. That search now only yields a list which dates back to October '12.

I was just trying to find a RoundUp from 2006...but there are none to be found anywhere.

The search engine has never been great...but it seems to be a particular problem now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Educate me, Sam.

Whenever I do a Google search, I just hit a Google splash page and type in my search terms. How do I narrow a search to a particular website?

Do I just enter Site: www.hometheaterforum.com and then the search terms into a routine Google search field? I've just tried that and seem to have pretty much gotten the same results.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
This worked for me: I highlighted the HTF search line in Sam's post and right clicked and chose "search with BING". www. htf..searchterm appeared in the search box on the Bing page that came up and I added the title of the thread I was looking for after search term, in this case, Cheyenne Season 2.The bigger question is why typing Cheyenne into the search box on the HTF TV on DVD front page does not give me every HTF thread with Cheyenne in the title?I am also wondering why all my long posts on older threads appear as blocks of type without paragraph separations. But if someone quotes my post the paragraphs separations are there in the quote box???

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am still having a dickens of a time with this.

I cannot find any threads in a search from before 2011/2012. It's like the HTF didn't exist before then.

And that's true if I'm using Google OR the HTF search engine.

REALLY frustrating.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bob Gu said:
This worked for me: I highlighted the HTF search line in Sam's post and right clicked and chose "search with BING". www. htf..searchterm appeared in the search box on the Bing page that came up and I added the title of the thread I was looking for after search term, in this case, Cheyenne Season 2.The bigger question is why typing Cheyenne into the search box on the HTF TV on DVD front page does not give me every HTF thread with Cheyenne in the title?I am also wondering why all my long posts on older threads appear as blocks of type without paragraph separations. But if someone quotes my post the paragraphs separations are there in the quote box???
Click your profile and click my content, then to the left you should be able to see all your posts or topics started.

My mistake, i see they now limit this to just one year, i can't see any of my posts older than that. :eek: :angry: :wacko:

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
By default a search only goes back 12 months here on the site. You have to do an advanced search to go back further. Bob, on behalf of my wife's employer, thanks for using Bing :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm doing advanced searches, Adam!

I click on that thing that looks like a cogwheel next to the search box.

This is not the thread I'm looking for right now. But I know I had a thread many years back with the word odyssey in the title. it is my "go to" thread for just such occasions.

I enter the word odyssey in the "find words" field. I select FORUMS. I select TITLES ONLY. I put my name as the author.

Should be all set. But I get nothing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
Click your profile and click my content, then to the left you should be able to see all your posts or topics started.

My mistake, i see they now limit this to just one year, i can't see any of my posts older than that. :eek: :angry: :wacko:
Right. Mine says:
There have been 915 items by Mike Frezon (Search limited from June 27 12)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There is just no way to find these older threads right now.

This happens to me every few days. I want to throw up a link to an older thread (in which a topic had a very pertinent discussion to a newer thread)...but cannot find any way to access that older thread.

I'm getting nervous about not being able to have access to these older threads. Are they gone?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
It seems to have something to do with when the last reply was posted. I checked "my content" and it shows threads going back to 2006, but all of them have replies from sometime in 2012 or later. :-?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I'm doing advanced searches, Adam!

I click on that thing that looks like a cogwheel next to the search box.

This is not the thread I'm looking for right now. But I know I had a thread many years back with the word odyssey in the title. it is my "go to" thread for just such occasions.

I enter the word odyssey in the "find words" field. I select FORUMS. I select TITLES ONLY. I put my name as the author.

Should be all set. But I get nothing.
Bob Gu said:
That's it, Bob. How did you find it? I had no idea it was archived. Although that shouldN'T affect the search function (unless search is designed to ignore the archives).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-14-23-26-49.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-14-23-26-49.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 61

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is educational for me, then. Thanks, Tony.

Because I just tried again through the HTF search engine to get the same results...but couldn't.

It's stupid that our own software is not better about being able to find things in its own database.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I use a bookmarklet in my browser, so using Google Site Search is fairly seamless with a HTF visit, though I agree the search function should be loads better.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I put a search in for 2001 A Space Odyssey, with results back as far as 2001. :P

All I typed was.

2001 A Space Odyssey home theater forums

I clicked on more results Open The Pod Search Bay Doors Hal, and found a lot more... My god its full search stars. :lol:

The sites search engine is not very good on simple searches. I use Google but, any old thread on the site will only be for reading as there all achieved. But can always start a new one to to expand on the topic?

10668840_10152702381690149_6310176637023956835_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks