Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Night of the Comet -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray MGM Shout Factory A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 10:25 AM

Thom Eberhardt's Night of the Comet is an interesting take on the potential end of the work, along with, also potentially...

zombies c. 1984.  This is a fun film, but I've never been totally certain what it's about.

Catherine Mary Stewart, you'll remember her from The Last Starfighter, along with her sister (Kelli Maroney) take on the bad dudes.

A low-budget affair, that works, unfortunately doesn't look great on Scream Factory's Blu-ray.  Whether the cause is an older telecine, or a problem with what appears to be an IP, the imagery is overall quite soft, making me double check that it was actually shot on 35, and not based upon de-grained 16mm.

I'll go into internet speak here and state loudly, that it appears better than the DVD, and I'm certain far superior to the old VHS.

Color is fine and stable.  Grain structure and overall resolution are lacking.

Image - 3

Audio - 4

RAH

• Brian McP likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 24 2014 - 10:57 AM

I hadn't seen this movie in probably 25 years and basically blind bought this disc and I was pleasantly surprised by the movie. It's certainly a cheesy 1980's movie but not in the crappy I'm-laughing-at-it type of way. The movie and its characters have a real sense of fun and that helped make for an enjoyable teen/horror movie.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 24 2014 - 10:57 AM

I'll go into internet speak here and state loudly, that it appears better than the DVD, and I'm certain far superior to the old VHS.

I'm keeping hold of my VHS. 

On a more serious note that is disappointing, i don't really want to spend money on disappointing releases these days.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted August 24 2014 - 03:34 PM

Nostalgia plays a big factor in many of my decisions to purchase movies from my childhood and NOTC is no exception. The only difference with this film is I actually still enjoy it. For a zombie comedy, It's smothered in a kind of "sweetness" that's tough to shake, featuring very likeable characters and a cheesy but endearing soundtrack. This is one of my absolute favorite Blu-rays. 

• Richard V likes this

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 543 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island, Florida

Posted August 24 2014 - 09:03 PM

Brad here.  One of my biggest favorites movies since I first saw it on late-night cable back in my college days.  Sure Catherine Mary Stewart was beautiful but I got it real bad (and continue to this day) for the lovely Kelli Maroney (and she's still gorgeous to this day as well).  Kelli has a fan page on FB if you're interested.

I bought the DVD a few years ago but when Scream Factory released the Blu-ray last year, it was a Day 1 Purchase for me.

I found the blu-ray PQ fantastic but I'm easy to please in that regard.

Pics attached of Kelli.

The fourth one is of my wife Kyrsten who as you can see bears a nice resemblance to Kelli.  Little wonder why I married her.

1517498_10151802461320950_703900597_n.jpg

IMG_3275.JPG

Kelli_Maroney_Today.jpg

Kyrsten_BlueDress.jpg

• FoxyMulder and phillyrobt like this

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 24 2014 - 10:18 PM

Pics attached of Kelli.

The fourth one is of my wife Kyrsten who as you can see bears a nice resemblance to Kelli.  Little wonder why I married her.

She does look strikingly like her from the first two pictures, especially the first, are you sure you didn't actually marry Kelli.  :D

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 05:23 AM

I got it day one. I thought it looked pretty much the way it always looked. Maybe they used cheap film stock. Could have been an upscale from the dvd. Who knows. I wasn't disappointed or surprised at it. The blu is worth it for the commentary alone.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts

Posted August 27 2014 - 03:07 PM

I got it day one. I thought it looked pretty much the way it always looked. Maybe they used cheap film stock. Could have been an upscale from the dvd. Who knows. I wasn't disappointed or surprised at it. The blu is worth it for the commentary alone.

I see the bolded explanation thrown around a lot.  Kodak and other motion picture film suppliers did not offer cheap, lower-quality discount film stock.  Budget dictated how much film a production could buy and pay the processing fees for, but there weren't any "no frills" film stocks that were somehow lower in quality than what everybody else was using.  Very low budget affairs might have purchased short-ends (unexposed film stock left over from other productions), but it was still the same film that everybody else was using.

Vincent

• FoxyMulder and ScottGros117 like this

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted August 29 2014 - 08:28 AM

More often very low budget affairs would use 16mm film stock and blow it up to 35mm for exhibition. 16mm is in fact far cheaper than 35mm. IMDB says this one has a 35mm negative, so not in this case.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 08:35 AM

Yes obviously 16mm is cheaper than 35mm, just like 35mm is cheaper than 65mm.  As you point out, this was shot in 35mm, so that isn't the issue here.  The 35mm film that was used to film NIGHT OF THE COMET would be of the same quality as the 35mm film used on any other production of that era, regardless of budget.  A lot of people seem to believe that there were "discount", lower-quality cheap 35mm film stocks that lower budget movies used, and that has never been the case.  That was the point I was making.

Vincent

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 10:48 AM

I read the original negative was destroyed, but I thought the disc looked ok.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 11:39 AM

Yes obviously 16mm is cheaper than 35mm, just like 35mm is cheaper than 65mm. As you point out, this was shot in 35mm, so that isn't the issue here. The 35mm film that was used to film NIGHT OF THE COMET would be of the same quality as the 35mm film used on any other production of that era, regardless of budget. A lot of people seem to believe that there were "discount", lower-quality cheap 35mm film stocks that lower budget movies used, and that has never been the case. That was the point I was making.

Vincent

I understand what you are saying, but I have a question.

Based on reading RAH's comments on various threads, he has stated that film x used stock 1234, and film y used stock 9876. I took this to mean that manufacturers were constantly changing (and hopefully improving) the physical film. And knowing how corporations work, not every studio would be using the same stock at the same time.

Isn't it possible that a budget studio might be using last year's stock, or a discontinued or problematic stock (that the majors had passed on)? One that the manufacturers sold (liquidated) to them at a lower cost?

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 01:10 PM

That's always a possibility, David-  one thing to consider, though, is that the "new" stocks aren't always better!  In some cases, cinematographers/filmmakers prefer the older stocks, too (EYES WIDE SHUT is an example-  Kubrick and his DP prefered the look they got via push-processing Kodak's previous 500 ASA filmstock vs. a newly-introduced "improved" version, so Kodak agreed to continue making as much of the previous stock as needed for Kubrick's film).  

But yes, it's always possible that a production bought up a supply of an older,discontinued filmstock.

Vincent

• David Weicker likes this

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 07:29 PM

IIRC, this was one of the earliest US films from (the rather short lived) Atlantic Releasing so they may not have had access to the best lab at the time.

• ScottGros117 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, MGM, Shout Factory, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users