Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Memphis Belle -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray Warner A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,060 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 10:02 AM

What a great concept.

Take a WWII documentary, produced by the Motion Picture Unit of the U.S. Air Force, as directed by William Wyler, and photographed by among others, William Clothier, and William Skall, about the final mission over Germany of Memphis Belle, a B-17. 

Take the filmmaker's daughter, Catherine, add in a British producer David Puttman, director Michael Caton-Jones, the cinematography of David Watkin, and the music of George Fenton, and easy as can be...

out comes a terrific WWII drama, to which an opening title "Based upon actual events," need not be appended.

Memphis Belle is a film worthy of your two hours investment.  The Blu-ray looks fine, and audio, in DTS-MA HD is as is should be.

A quality release from WB, the end of which had me thinking of Amazing Stories.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,063 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 24 2014 - 10:12 AM

I think Memphis Belle reminded me of the Howard Hawks 1943 film Air force, in both films they fly a B-17 bomber.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   titch

titch

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 08:32 PM

I've missed Mr. Harris' reviews of catalogue titles lately; for me, the highlight of this forum is reading them. I almost always purchase the title, if approved. Should the presentation receive the thumbs down, the title is cancelled. I've just ordered Memphis Belle and The Outsiders after Mr. Harris recommended them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Warner, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users