What's new

What to replace my old receiver with? (1 Viewer)

Ronnie Williams

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronnie W.
I had an Onkyo HT-680 that finally went kaput and need to replace it. Here is the item I am replacing.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nbfjBv03Ry4/p_580HT6300B/Onkyo-HT-S6300.html#Receiver

It was rated at 7 channels, 130W @ 6 ohms. I picked up a Yamaha RX-V377 based on the online positive reviews and while its decent, its 70W just doesn't do it for me.

What would you recommend as a replacement in the $500 price point. Room is fairly large (30x10) and the only real viewing is blue rays and cable. I would be happy with the RX-V377 if it had more power, but compared to Onkyo it just doesn't do it for me.

Ronnie Williams

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronnie W.
Right now I am using the Onkyo speakers & powered sub that came with the receiver when I bought it. For what I listen to/watch they did the job just fine. Honestly if I could just get a receiver with similar wattage to the speakers I'd be happy. The Onkyo speakers are rated at 6 ohms.

I was also looking at this one as a replacement from Pioneer:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1123-K

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way...130 at 6 means about 90 at 8 ohm.I am willing to bet the Onk had twice the combined power of the 377. The Onk was not 130x7. More like 70x7. The 377 is probably 50x5.Speaker efficiency is 90% of the equation.

Ronnie Williams

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronnie W.
Upgrading the speakers is on the list to do in the future. Right now I need a receiver as my old one is literally dead. The one I picked up has a 15 day return window so I want to ensure I get the best I can for my budget right now.

Ronnie Williams

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronnie W.
The Onk was rated at 6 ohms as well I believe. The Yamaha I picked up today lets you change the setting between either 6 or 8 ohm.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Point being. Efficiency of your speakers plays a HUGE ROLE in system performance.Those speakers are probably 79db efficient. That is...1. Dreadful2. Probably the reason the AVR died.Efficiency...1 watt 79 db vs 92 for a BIC DV.2 watts 82 vs 954 watts 85 vs 988 watts 88 vs 10116 watts 91 vs 104 (your presnt speakers just now reach 91)32 watts 94 vs 10764 watts 97 vs 110128 watts 100 vs 113.

Ronnie Williams

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronnie W.
I agree with you 100%. I am trying to determine if the Yamaha 377 is a suitable receiver replacement as I've got 15 days to decide. How much (if any) better can I do for under $500. If I can't improve then ill look into speakers but for now I need to figure out the receiver piece.Can you recommend speakers to pair with the Yamaha 377?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Does the 477 have anything you need (pay no attention to the "whatever" by 5/7 rating)?Realistically...On 5 exact speakers...you shouldn't notice much difference between the 377 and any of the sumo class Aventage(except if trying to listen to a movie like Underworld: Awakening at volume levels high enough to piss off your neighbors).

Ronnie Williams

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronnie W.
The Yamaha RX-V377 has everything I need which is why I picked it up. All that it's missing is more "depth" which I am translating to needing more wattage but I'm no expert. I'm only using 2 fronts, a center, and a powered sub (Onkyo 10" @ 290W).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well...Onkyo and Yamaha have divergent amp topology.Onkyo is designed for warmth. Some call it "muddy".Yamaha has always been clear and austere.Yamaha pairs up well with British speakers(Wharfedale/KEF).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would keep the 377 and spend money on speakers.Your speakers should be EQUAL in cost to everything else, combined, in the room.If you buy your speakers right...you'll have them for decades.My main theatre is speakers that I bought the main pair in 1991. Bought the remaing 7(run 9.1) over the next 15 years. I kept checking Ebay(local ads) when I needed more.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you really want to know, you can get a lot more for your money on the receiver with a closeout.

This or This from Denon, for instance. They've just been replaced with new models, so they are super cheap. Be certain who you are actually buying them from. Only buy from Amazon or one of the reputable sellers like OneCall or Huppin's. Those two are actually the same company.

This Onkyo is quite a deal as well.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As far as watts go... That one number is only part of the story. I rephrase it this way. If your current speakers have 79dB sensitivity (I have no idea if that is correct, but I'll use it for the example) then this is the result. The BICs will, with 92dB sensitivity and a 50 watt amp, reach the same "loudness" as your current speakers with a 1000 watt amp. Of course, in the real world, your current speakers would go up in smoke first. Sensitivity is THAT big a factor.

Ronnie Williams

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronnie W.
I probably should have provided more information when I started this thread. Below is a picture of my living area. Currently I am using a pair of Onkyo 6 ohm fronts, an Onkyo 6 ohm Center, and a 290W Powered Onkyo Sub. This was basically a HTIB and the receiver went out. I was very pleased with the system overall.

When the receiver went out I went and picked up the Yamaha RX-V377 based upon the online reviews and the fact I really need basic features. I only have a Blue Ray and the cable box hooked up through it. In general we watch Disney movies with the little kids, and I enjoy an action movie and Monday night football. Not needing anything fancy, but I want to feel punches, gun shots, etc from movies.

I hooked it up to the Onkyo speakers and changed the receiver to 6 ohms in the settings panel and was just flat unimpressed with the fullness of the sound compared to the previous Onkyo receiver.

Below is a picture of my living room. I am willing to spend up to $1,000. I almost feel like the Yamaha RX-V377 just doesn't have the power for my room size regardless of the speakers chosen. That said I am clueless. I thought I knew more about this stuff than I do as I have not bought any home audio equipment in 6-8 years. I have 15 days to return the Yamaha RX-V377 so I am just trying to figure out if I need to return the receiver and get something better or with more power, or just invest in better speakers, or both.

Any input on an alternate receiver + speaker combo is appreciated.

RW Theater.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cornering the TV is not helping.Change the 377 back to 8ohm. All that setting does is reduce gain. Never, ever, use that setting in ANY AVR.Go to Best Buy, pick up a pair of Klipsch R-15($250/pair) and use them a couple of days.I doubt you'll think the 377 "lacks power"

Ronnie Williams

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronnie W.
I agree on cornering the TV. Unfortunately I have no other option. The fireplace is solid brick and there is no power or way to get power/cables above the fireplace for mounting there. Each end of the room is a wall of windows that pretty much go floor to ceiling.

I'll pick up the Klipsch R-15's tomorrow and maybe a Klipsch center speaker. If that solves my concerns I will either keep them or get the Bic DV62's book shelf and center speakers off Amazon and give them a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks