What's new

Pocketful of Miracles (1961) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ss&ref=ss_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=ronspressrelease-20&marketplace=amazon&region=US&placement=B00MYMTAMQ&asins=B00MYMTAMQ&linkId=LXCJBHS5S4Z6A5B6&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true</div> <div>

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the Kino Blu-ray of this one this afternoon. It was quite a beautiful transfer coming from MGM. I was surprised. It's been nicely cleaned up and looked just great. Sound was DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono, but it was clear and clean, too.

The film is too long, of course, for the slight story it's telling (Capra's earlier version ran a little over 90 minutes, the perfect length), but the cast is aces. Peter Falk steals all of his scenes in the movie.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've never much liked this film but I'm a big fan of Hope Lange, so I'll buy this disc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I did a blind buy last year for the Christmas season but never got around to it. Hoping to catch it this holiday season instead. Despite watching over a hundred “new to me” films on disc last year, I still have a ton to go!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hope Lange is gorgeous in this film, Robin. Gorgeous!

When I watched this disc (closer to when it was released) I remember being quite taken with her...and after growing up with Hope Lange on any number of TV series (I was born in '59), I don't think I had ever seen her so young. Quite a revelation.

1960s-1961-film-pocketful-of-miracles-hope-lange-jay-novello-looking-DBX0R8.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I did a blind buy last year for the Christmas season but never got around to it. Hoping to catch it this holiday season instead. Despite watching over a hundred “new to me” films on disc last year, I still have a ton to go!
Josh, may we never ever run out and never catch up!!!:)
Praise be to physical media and all our suppliers.:cheers:

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Are you saying that Hope is the only thing you've got?:rolleyes:

Certainly not! I have Cyd Charisse, Linda Darnell, Rita Hayworth, Rhonda Fleming and Claudia Cardinale as well. :)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

When I watched this disc (closer to when it was released) I remember being quite taken with her...and after growing up with Hope Lange on any number of TV series (I was born in '59), I don't think I had ever seen her so young. Quite a revelation.

It's worth re-reading Frank Capra's The Name Above The Title again for his experience of working with Hope Lange. He loathed Glenn Ford who insisted that Hope Lange got the role (they were in a relationship at the time) and Capra thought she was far too young for the part. But as they began working, he was surprised at how good she was.

Someday the film she made with Elvis will come out of Blu-ray disc: Wild In The Country.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Hope Lange was a favorite of mine in my youth because of the TV show The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and two films that played often on TV in NYC Metro area, one being Peyton Place and this film. Channel 7 out of NYC used to broadcast Pocketful of Miracles almost every Christmas season. I might have to watch my Blu-ray again as it's going on four years since my last viewing of it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Capra wasn't the only one who was disenchanted with Glenn Ford. Bette Davis, who had fostered Ford's career in the early days by selecting him to co-star with her in A Stolen Life, was incensed when Ford demanded that the female star dressing room assigned to her be given to Lange so they could be side-by-side. That was the end of their friendship.

Last edited:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Well Glenn wasn't perfect. I still love the guy, a great and underappreciated actor.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Are you saying that Hope is the only thing you've got?:rolleyes:
Certainly not! I have Cyd Charisse, Linda Darnell, Rita Hayworth, Rhonda Fleming and Claudia Cardinale as well. :)
Ah, so its you who's hoarding and hiding that stash of Hollywood actresses within their home.
Guess I can't blame 'em; after all, you were the first on the HTF block to gain access to a Region-Free player.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks