What's new

"raw" digital audio signal from retro consoles? (1 Viewer)

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Hey guys, as i have been completing my new HT build lately, I decided that I may want to pick up some of the old classic consoles and mod them for component video and digital audio out.

However, upon searching for Super Nintendo audio out mods- I found this page where the guy says that you need to use an additional circuit to convert the SNES's "raw 32khz 16-bit stereo" signal to SPDIF format.http://alpha-ii.com/Info/snes-spdif.html

Wouldn't most any receiver be able to use a "raw" signal just fine without it being pre-processed?

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Aaron Silverman said:
Not if it isn't equipped to handle the 32kHz sample rate.
Really dumb question, but where might I find supported sample rates for a home theater AVR? :wacko:

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
schan1269 said:
You do realize 32khz is shitty...???Why anyone would care to put a digital output in anything for that...is beyond me.
Aye, I grew up with 8-bit and 16-bit consoles primarily. I'm researching this because I have noticed that when hooking up these old consoles to AVRs, you can often hear quite a lot of noise. If I could grab the sound while it's still digital, and output it that way... the noise would be eliminated. At least that's the idea :D

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
schan1269 said:
Or, you could quit using 60 cent audio cables and switch to coax.
The Super Nintendo uses a proprietary multi AV connector, and to my knowledge nobody made a cable for it (the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube also used this connector) which utilized coaxial at all. If I go through with this, my intent is to modify the console for component YPbPr video output through shielded internal wiring, and hopefully some kind of digital sound output to completely avoid internally-generated noise. Suffice it to say I'm much better at electronics than home theater management!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And there have been modded rgb/component cables for the SNES for years.They(usually) use rg59 for the audio...as "after the chip" is also, typically, rg59.Nobody making those is going to purchase two different styles of cabling.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
schan1269 said:
And there have been modded rgb/component cables for the SNES for years.They(usually) use rg59 for the audio...as "after the chip" is also, typically, rg59.Nobody making those is going to purchase two different styles of cabling.
I'll have to see if I can find something like that! Had just assumed that I would need to install my own rca jacks for the video and either one for coaxial audio or an optical toslink port

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks