-

Photo
- - - - -

FXX airing every Simpsons in a 544 episode marathon, started 10am today!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 of 36 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,989 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 24 2014 - 07:21 AM

I'm just glad that I'm that I'm not the only person that the hates the cropping. While I realize that few people in the real world care, I figured that even on a message board like this there'd be a few people saying how much better the show looks in widescreen or it was always meant to be seen in widescreen or that the AR doesn't matter because it's animation.

#22 of 36 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,434 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 07:35 AM

The cropping in and of itself is rage inducing dumb fuckery. But to distort the cropped picture? Completely asinine. Who's the addled shit for brains who thought this was preferable to window boxing?

To offer up all the Simpsons and then to show all the pre-HD episodes this way is like offering you a thick, juicy, aged medium rare porterhouse, but it's smeared with feces.

Fuck you FXX. Fuck right off and die.
  • MatthewA likes this

#23 of 36 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,019 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted August 24 2014 - 07:42 AM

Felt like this at times while watching this marathon:

So torn on this. On the one hand, FXX is rebroadcasting the awesome, non-crappy years of The Simpsons, but on the other...as someone else just tweeted, "I feel like I'm watching [the show] on zoom."

Yesterday, I caught the episode from the sixth season where Marge sees her therapist (played by Anne Bancroft), and there were some massively, obviously cropped-and-stretched shots that simply yanked me right out of the viewing experience entirely (like when the family was standing together in the kitchen). Total distortion, and if Helen Keller was watching, she'd have noticed it, too.

While I'm glad that a younger generation of viewers will finally be exposed to the TRUE Simpsons at long last (these days, most local, syndicated repeats focus more upon the later seasons than the classic early ones), the cropping-out of many of the all-time best visual gags makes this whole endeavor a "draw," at best.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#24 of 36 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,019 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 08:00 AM

"Bart on the Road" (from Season 7) is ending right as I type this, and that final shot of Marge in bed talking on the phone?

Oh my freaking god. Absolutely barfulous.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#25 of 36 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,989 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 08:31 AM

^ "Oh my god, Springfield, you're operating without a T-437!"

• joshEH likes this

#26 of 36 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,019 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 09:56 AM

Forgot to mention:

If you have the FXX Simpsons World app (which launches in October), you'll not only have access to every single episode ever made, uncut, but also in the original 4:3 aspect ratio (for Seasons 1-19):

http://www.hitfix.co...rooling-critics

So there's that, at least.

(About the only things that won't be included initially will be the early, original Tracey Ullman sketches, but FX is apparently "in discussions" with Matt Groening about making that happen, too. Fingers crossed.)

• Sam Posten likes this

#27 of 36 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,219 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 10:16 AM

Sadly, Indiewire also confirmed that subsequent airings will be the "cut" syndicated versions of episodes (edited for more commercials), with the "uncut" versions only getting trotted out by FXX on "special occasions."

Between the cropping and the syndicated edits, at least I still have my DVDs, which contain neither. Ah, well.

Any chance then that when they do go back to the syndicated versions, they will be back in the correct ratio? Why go through all the trouble of taking broadcast versions, cropping them only to be shown essentially once and then doing the same for the syndicated versions?
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#28 of 36 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,019 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 11:20 AM

Currently airing right this second:

Hank Scorpio.

...Oh, man, the "hammock-store" joke.

Any chance then that when they do go back to the syndicated versions, they will be back in the correct ratio? Why go through all the trouble of taking broadcast versions, cropping them only to be shown essentially once and then doing the same for the syndicated versions?

Likely not, since the network is catering to HD viewers who own widescreen TVs -- 4:3 pillarbox-framing just isn't considered "sexy" enough these days, unfortunately.

(Plus, it cost them a fair bit of money to reframe 19 seasons' worth of episodes...no way they're airing the non-widescreen versions any time in the near future, here.)

#29 of 36 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,019 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 11:36 AM

Just wanted to add:

It's funny how AV advances work out. Our generation had to grow up with shitty fullscreen VHS tapes (outside of Laserdisc), then things finally got straightened out with DVD. Now, everyone who watches cable is cursed with having every show produced before the early 2000s cropped for all eternity. Fuck cable.

I was just checking out some early seasons on DVD. They were looking a bit harsh on the 70-inch HDTV, mainly from the compression artifacts (usually watch them on a 55" standard-def in another room). I brought the sharpness down all the way into blurry range; that helped a little. Yet I'd much rather have that than a cropped picture...and the DVDs have better sound-quality than any streaming service, too.

#30 of 36 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 13,853 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 24 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hank Scorpio.

Now I'm bummed. I discovered today I don't have FXX when I went to check out the Simpson's uberthon.

And that is one of my favorite episodes. I love Homer 'motivating' his team to work faster. It drives me crazy that no one at work ever knows that reference. It's critical to professional efficiency improvement!

#31 of 36 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,019 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 12:02 PM

It'd be interesting to eventually see the ratings data for this marathon. It's going to be a sharp-ass plummet once Seasons 10-11 hit. For casual viewers not familiar with the quality-curve, I wonder how long it will take to sink in.

("Hey, wait a minute...I can't remember the last time something funny happened...")

#32 of 36 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,219 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 12:59 PM

Hank Scorpio.

Likely not, since the network is catering to HD viewers who own widescreen TVs -- 4:3 pillarbox-framing just isn't considered "sexy" enough these days, unfortunately.

(Plus, it cost them a fair bit of money to reframe 19 seasons' worth of episodes...no way they're airing the non-widescreen versions any time in the near future, here.)

As you can tell by my sig, "You Only Move Twice" is one of my favorites (there used to be a pic of Scorpio with the flamethrower as well)

Going back to the AR issue, what's so dumb about the whole thing is that the people who only care about having their screen filled will happily watch on stretch or zoom mode (it's getting depressing that we have to get back into these conversations again). I've gone to countless homes of friends and relatives who have their 16:9 sets on those settings anyway and have no idea, or have the god awful 120Hz mode on, or are still using the yellow cable to hook up their cable box, DVD player etc. And you can forget about their DVD players being properly set to 16:9 mode. Sometimes I'll fix the settings and next time I visit, it's right back to stretch or zoom mode. I've pretty much given up at this point.

#33 of 36 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,219 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 01:02 PM

It'd be interesting to eventually see the ratings data for this marathon. It's going to be a sharp-ass plummet once Seasons 10-11 hit. For casual viewers not familiar with the quality-curve, I wonder how long it will take to sink in.

("Hey, wait a minute...I can't remember the last time something funny happened...")

I'm interested in knowing how much "productivity" has been lost in the last few days. It's a beautiful day where I am today, but admittedly, it's been a challenge getting myself up off the couch and doing even routine daily activities.

#34 of 36 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,989 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 02:35 PM

There's been multiple times where I was going to watch a minute of an episode and I ended up watching the whole thing but I'm sure I will be tuning in much less when the first decade ends. That being said, anything after S16 or so, I've probably only seen once so it would almost be like a new (albeit much less funny) episode.

#35 of 36 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,176 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 07:17 AM

(About the only things that won't be included initially will be the early, original Tracey Ullman sketches, but FX is apparently "in discussions" with Matt Groening about making that happen, too. Fingers crossed.)

I hope the Tracey Ullman ones will air someday. I only remember seeing the ones where the Simpsons try to take a family photo. I can remember looking more forward to that than the actual Tracey Ullman show, especially with Homer losing it every time the photo comes out wrong.

There's been multiple times where I was going to watch a minute of an episode and I ended up watching the whole thing but I'm sure I will be tuning in much less when the first decade ends. That being said, anything after S16 or so, I've probably only seen once so it would almost be like a new (albeit much less funny) episode.

Happen to me a few times this weekend, as I was just curious how far in the marathon they have gone. I would stop when realizing how I lost track of time.

Having seen the episode " A Fish Called Selma", I always loved the "Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such films as...", just reminds me how great Phil Hartman was.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#36 of 36 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,019 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 03:23 PM

Having seen the episode " A Fish Called Selma", I always loved the "Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such films as...", just reminds me how great Phil Hartman was.

You may also remember Troy McClure from "Firecrackers: The Silent Killer."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users