Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Subwoofer connection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Christenskg

Christenskg

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 19 2014 - 12:57 PM

Hi,

I have an old insignia receiver. I have a Sony saw-2500 sub hooked up by a subwoofer cable to the receiver. I get nice bass from the sub when I watch Blu-ray, or Netflix (through a roku). I get no bass (I have it set to energy saving mode and it doesn't turn on) when listening to my turntable (connected to my receiver with rca cables), my zune through the hdmi dock, Pandora, or a cd played through my Blu-ray.

I guess what I want to know is there a way to get bass from the music I listen to?

The sub has speaker pass through, should I be hooking that up as well?

Is there a better way to connect things?

Do I need to upgrade?

Thanks,
Kevin

Edited by Christenskg, August 19 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,444 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 19 2014 - 01:03 PM

Model number.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Christenskg

Christenskg

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 19 2014 - 01:06 PM

Sorry,

The receiver is Insignia NS-R5101HD

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,548 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted August 21 2014 - 09:01 AM

Different factors can apply here.  When listening in stereo, you can have "direct" which will bypass bass management settings and play ONLY stereo. If you set it to "stereo" decoding however, it will usually apply bass management and allow the use of the sub.

In terms of connection, RCA from the receiver's sub preamp out to the sub, which is what it sounds like you have.  No connections from the sub to the speakers; they should be connected to the receiver.

HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users