What's new

The Abominable Snowman (1957) (1 Viewer)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
With a remake by Hammer Films in the works, I'm hoping that the original 1957 film will be re-released on DVD and released on Blu-Ray in Region 1. The DVD released by Anchor Bay on May 23, 2000 has gone OOP and the prices for it are sky high.

Darby

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
A bd is available for preorder at Amazon Japan, which is region A/1. No idea what to expect, but I think I'll wait for a UK release first.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The DVD is lousy. I put it on last week and couldn't get thru even a few minutes of it.

I'll welcome a BD and happily throw away the AB DVD!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Give me a break ! :)
There's nothing wrong with the AB DVD. It looks and plays fine to me.. ID upgrade - might consider the Japanese release , but the DVD quality of it is more than suitable. Come on now :)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
David Steigman said:
Give me a break ! :)
There's nothing wrong with the AB DVD. It looks and plays fine to me.. ID upgrade - might consider the Japanese release , but the DVD quality of it is more than suitable. Come on now :)
I stand by my statement...watch it on a 110" screen, not a 27 incher! :)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I know a good master exists because the BBC showed this earlier in the year and it looked very good to me, in the UK we don't use the outdated MPEG 2 codec for high definition broadcasts and it's usually 1080i which of course the TV converts to 1080p.

It was also a joy to view it in the original 2.35:1 widescreen aspect ratio, none of that cropping for 16/9 televisions.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My, and how these Hammer Blu-rays are scattered all over hell. We have to hit four countries (maybe more) to get them all at this point. Expensive and a pain in the ass, but we Hammer fans will go where the discs are.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
John Sparks said:
I stand by my statement...watch it on a 110" screen, not a 27 incher! :)
I dont have a 27 inch screen.. and I wouldnt want a 110" screen either :)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Just saw The Abominable Snowman on the Movies cable channel yesterday and loved it. I really hope someone re-releases it on DVD when the remake hits theaters.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I used to have a 35mm anamorphic print from the original release and it was very soft and grainy. I later discovered it was shot open-matte non-anamorphic (like Jailhouse Rock) and the 2.35:1 was an extraction.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The Japanese Blu is decent. Not stellar, but decent. It is plenty sharp enough, with good grain structure and black levels. No supplements are included, so keep your Anchor Bay DVD with the trailer and commentary, but this is far superior to it in terms of PQ.

Movie Maven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
ed
Fox connect has it on their site for 19.98, they also have Deadline USA one of Bogarts few on dvds in US....Last week both were on sale for 12.98 . I made the order..2 days later got message that they BOTH were no longer available.....yet they are still on website for sale..back up to 19.98

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Movie Maven said:
Fox connect has it on their site for 19.98, they also have Deadline USA one of Bogarts few on dvds in US....Last week both were on sale for 12.98 . I made the order..2 days later got message that they BOTH were no longer available.....yet they are still on website for sale..back up to 19.98

That's surprising. I don't believe that there has ever been a legitimate release of Deadline USA on DVD in Region 1.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Movie Maven said:
go to foxconnect.com........both are still there

I wasn't questioning that they are there. I'm just wondering what it is that they have for sale. I'm aware of Spanish and Italian DVDs of Deadline U.S.A., but no Region A release. Maybe it's a forthcoming Fox Cinema Archive title.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Thanks for the heads up, Ed. The price is certainly reasonable.

I've emailed foxconnect to confirm whether or not it is the single pressed disc that was released by Anchor Bay on May 23, 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks