What's new

Sony BDP-S7200, Now available in US. Region Free just releases as well (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well its finally out, the Sony BDP-S7200 Blu-ray player. The one I've been waiting for to go region-free with.

SonyBDP-S7200.jpg

First of all, it looks like a real Blu-ray player and not a Romulan Cloaking Device.

Second, it offer 4K. Nice to have when I finally get around to getting a 4K TV.

Prices start around $300 but the region-free one just released from Bombay Electronics has a asking price of $519. (I"ll wait for the inevitable price drop).

Plenty of info links out there but here's a good starting point:

Google Page on Sony BDP-S7200

Sony UK Page.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, before anybody brings it up...Lack of DVD-A is SARCASM.Like when Motor Trend(or was it Car & Driver??) during the model year edition would quip..."Mercury Grand Marguis soldiers on unchanged. Still no word of a de Sade package."

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Bombay is actually selling this for $539 with region free *DVD* playback only. If you want region free Blu-ray the cost of admission goes up $50 to $589. Might as well buy an Oppo BDP-103 with the plug-in kit. Hopefully the price will come down in the future.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
As of today at 220-electronics, this can be had for $430. Still a bit pricey but someone mentioned that you can negotiate a better price with 220. Trying to find that thread.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I've been doing a little on-line window shopping and finding that most online electronics retailers (Best Buy, Crutchfield) are offering the Sony BDP-S7200 (Region A/1 only) for around $179 while the electroinc "chop shops" who do the Region free mods offer this model (again unmodified) for $390. The region-free mods add $40 to the price.

I wonder what gives on why such a price discrepancy on the same model.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
UPDATE: The order for this player is in and I was able to negotiate a deal (Bombay Electronics). More details to come.
The hard part is that I have to wait till my birthday in late July to enjoy. My lovely wife Kyrsten will take it, wrap it in blue octopus wrapping paper and put it away till then.

Josh Steinberg's. "Cool Kids Club" beckons.

Welcome to the cool kids club, Osato! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks