What's new

Classic DVD Forecast Fall/Holiday 2014 (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
With my kids returning to school mext Wednesday (Remember the days when we never, ever started before labor day), I began to think about what we might have coming to us over the next 4 months:
What We Know:
1) Of course this will be a very bountiful release period. The 2 big grail shows (Wonder Years and Batman) of course are the big news but let us not forget we are also in for complete sets of WKRP, Kotter, Bilko, Annie Oakley and The Jeffersons.
2) Big Valley and Dynasty will be completed.
3) 80's favorites such as LA Law, Newhart, and Hill Street Blues will continue.
4) We will seee a season one release of Name Of The Game (with hopefully the latter 2 seasons to follow).

What We Don't Know (By Studio):

1) CBS - A crapshoot. They just released a volume of Gunsmoke and Bonanza Season 7 is due next month so I am fairly certain we won't see more volumes of either of those before year end. They also still have Season 6 of Happy Days in the can as well as Season 1 of Our Miss Brooks and Season 1 of High Chapparal but who knows if that means releases of these are coming (see Love Boat). I think the key thing with CBS is to see if the Holidays bring more seasons of Hillbillies or Petticoat. I'm not real optimistic at this point as the syndication bible does not indicate any remastering of further seasons but I am hoping they are working on them for a holiday release like last year. As far as any other stuff coming out before year end from these guys, your guess is as good as mine, although I'm not feeling like we will see much. MOD anyone?

2) Shout/Timeless - Their plans are pretty much out there for the fall as it is and they have some great stuff coming out as I mentioned above with their complete sets of some favorites. I think what has been announced is the extent of what we will see for this year....but they are having one hell of a year. Hopefully they will give us a couple of additional nuggets through Timeless. The Rebel has been brought up in another thread today. Wouldn't it be great to get that as a Christmas present?

3) Warner - Warner pretty much ran through vomumes of most of the shows in their current rotation in June and July, so I'm guessing maybe one or two may see one more season release by year end. My personal guesses are the completion of FBI and the next to last season of Kildare. Most of the questions that fans continue to ask about on their webpage about the usual suspects (next seasons of Alice and Falcon, Spenser, Enos, Lawman, and the detective shows are met with the same non committal, no ETA answer, so I'm not expecting to see any of those anymore this year either. I'm guessing they will through a couple more one season jobs at us over the next few months as they they did in July. Maybe McClain's Law?

4) VEI - Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe nothing.

5) Other Indies - The only limb I'll go on here is to say the next Rifleman season set will be released. I believe someone reported that already.

Either way, I can't wait to wake up Christmas morning to open (hopefully) my Wonder Years set.

Thoughts?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
October will be when the final season of "The FBI" will come out. That's a guarantee based on the release pattern that goes back to 2012.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Sugarfoot Should be completed this year by WA as well. I'd say Season 2 of Bronco is a strong possibility as well. Warner seems to have picked up their pace on TV releases the past few months compared to the last 2 years. I would expect no releases from them for the rest of the year after Thanksgiving just like last year.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Jack P said:
October will be when the final season of "The FBI" will come out. That's a guarantee based on the release pattern that goes back to 2012.
I really hope that they'll release a complete series at a reasonable price (like $150 with sales).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Frank Soyke said:
With my kids returning to school mext Wednesday (Remember the days when we never, ever started before labor day), I began to think about what we might have coming to us over the next 4 months:
What We Know:
1) Of course this will be a very bountiful release period. The 2 big grail shows (Wonder Years and Batman) of course are the big news but let us not forget we are also in for complete sets of WKRP, Kotter, Bilko, Annie Oakley and The Jeffersons.
2) Big Valley and Dynasty will be completed.
3) 80's favorites such as LA Law, Newhart, and Hill Street Blues will continue.
4) We will seee a season one release of Name Of The Game (with hopefully the latter 2 seasons to follow).
Either way, I can't wait to wake up Christmas morning to open (hopefully) my Wonder Years set.

Thoughts?
I tell my grandkids about our *long* summers all the time. They are *very* jealous! :D Ours this year was the shortest ever because of all the ice we got last winter. They had a whole 10 weeks (we start Monday).

I'm somewhat worried about the future of Newhart. Yes, Shout! has a release coming in a couple of weeks but they released S2 & S3 this year in pretty quick order. Based on the release schedule for S2, S3, and S4 there *should* be another season around November or December at the latest but I can find *no* hint about future seasons. :(

I, too, want more seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies but don't think it'll happen simply because if the last release had sold well I'd like to think we'd have the next by now.

I'm waking up Christmas morning to Batman, WKRP, and Bilko! :)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Time will tell if they do any complete series sets. They have completed a few shows now and have yet to do that with any of them. Although With their Made on Demand strategy it really doesn't fit to do a complete series since those are usually done as a way to move excess stock unless its released as a complete series from the beginning.
JoeDoakes said:
I really hope that they'll release a complete series at a reasonable price (like $150 with sales).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
JoeDoakes said:

Has WA done any official complete series sets of stuff that was previously released as only dvd-mod?

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
BobO'Link said:
I'm somewhat worried about the future of Newhart. Yes, Shout! has a release coming in a couple of weeks but they released S2 & S3 this year in pretty quick order. Based on the release schedule for S2, S3, and S4 there *should* be another season around November or December at the latest but I can find *no* hint about future seasons. :(
While I, too, am worried about Newhart, I do have to ask, though: has Shout! released/ scheduled to release more than three seasons of any other show this year (outside of the complete series sets)? I've noticed that shows like LA Law and NYPD Blue have their third seasons for this year scheduled, but unless they have more releases being planned for December, it just seems like three seasons seems to be the max for the year. And it may just be them trying to space out releases so that they don't run into trouble releasing stuff too fast.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Frank Soyke said:
With my kids returning to school mext Wednesday (Remember the days when we never, ever started before labor day), I began to think about what we might have coming to us over the next 4 months:What We Know:1) Of course this will be a very bountiful release period. The 2 big grail shows (Wonder Years and Batman) of course are the big news but let us not forget we are also in for complete sets of WKRP, Kotter, Bilko, Annie Oakley and The Jeffersons.2) Big Valley and Dynasty will be completed.3) 80's favorites such as LA Law, Newhart, and Hill Street Blues will continue.4) We will seee a season one release of Name Of The Game (with hopefully the latter 2 seasons to follow). What We Don't Know (By Studio): 1) CBS - A crapshoot. They just released a volume of Gunsmoke and Bonanza Season 7 is due next month so I am fairly certain we won't see more volumes of either of those before year end. They also still have Season 6 of Happy Days in the can as well as Season 1 of Our Miss Brooks and Season 1 of High Chapparal but who knows if that means releases of these are coming (see Love Boat). I think the key thing with CBS is to see if the Holidays bring more seasons of Hillbillies or Petticoat. I'm not real optimistic at this point as the syndication bible does not indicate any remastering of further seasons but I am hoping they are working on them for a holiday release like last year. As far as any other stuff coming out before year end from these guys, your guess is as good as mine, although I'm not feeling like we will see much. MOD anyone? 2) Shout/Timeless - Their plans are pretty much out there for the fall as it is and they have some great stuff coming out as I mentioned above with their complete sets of some favorites. I think what has been announced is the extent of what we will see for this year....but they are having one hell of a year. Hopefully they will give us a couple of additional nuggets through Timeless. The Rebel has been brought up in another thread today. Wouldn't it be great to get that as a Christmas present? 3) Warner - Warner pretty much ran through vomumes of most of the shows in their current rotation in June and July, so I'm guessing maybe one or two may see one more season release by year end. My personal guesses are the completion of FBI and the next to last season of Kildare. Most of the questions that fans continue to ask about on their webpage about the usual suspects (next seasons of Alice and Falcon, Spenser, Enos, Lawman, and the detective shows are met with the same non committal, no ETA answer, so I'm not expecting to see any of those anymore this year either. I'm guessing they will through a couple more one season jobs at us over the next few months as they they did in July. Maybe McClain's Law? 4) VEI - Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe nothing. 5) Other Indies - The only limb I'll go on here is to say the next Rifleman season set will be released. I believe someone reported that already. Either way, I can't wait to wake up Christmas morning to open (hopefully) my Wonder Years set. Thoughts?
Excellent analysis, Frank.Hope there's more news before the end of the year, and I would hope for some surprises as well.James

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Not worried about Newhart yet, especially with Season 4 coming out next week. Still, when it comes to Shout, you can never be too sure of anything.

At least Shout's scheduled Season 7 of Quincy for November. It's been over a year since Season 6, so I was afraid they might have added it to their list of abandoned shows. I just hope this does well enough for them to schedule the 8th/final season. Sure, in these latter years, Quincy seems to become more of a part-time coroner/mystery solver and full-time social worker, but Klugman still makes it worth watching so it would be nice to finally complete this series.

As frustrating as Shout can be sometimes, they do seem to be the company putting out the majority of TV releases I'm currently interested in (Newhart, Quincy, Kotter, MST3K, Jeffersons, L.A. Law and hopefully - via Timeless - Name of the Game and The Rebel).

[Edited to add: I'd include WKRP in my list above, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high until we know just how many music-related cuts/edits there will be on Shout's upcoming set.]

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
As frustrating as Shout can be sometimes, they do seem to be the company putting out the majority of TV releases I'm currently interested in...

And don't forget to add that Shout is also putting one of the best, if not the best, sitcom of all time: Sgt. Bilko and as a complete series as well

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
maskedmala said:
As frustrating as Shout can be sometimes, they do seem to be the company putting out the majority of TV releases I'm currently interested in...

And don't forget to add that Shout is also putting one of the best, if not the best, sitcom of all time: Sgt. Bilko and as a complete series as well
Bilko is good, but to me the best sitcom of all time, hands down, is The Honeymooners.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
And the winner is.....Rick Thompson......for guessing the best sitcom of all time is "The Honeymooners"......hands down and without any question!!!

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I´m quite disappointed that CBS/Paramount has stalled classic series like "Matt Houston", Evening Shade, Jake and the Fatman, Barnaby Jones, Hotel, Cannon etc.

I think it´s evident that the selling numbers were too low. Otherwise they would have continue the series like they did with "Hawaii Five 0, Streets of San Francisco, Vega$ and Mannix.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
At least there's something. I'm interested in more Newhart, WKRP, Highway to Heaven, Bilko, and The Facts of Life off the top of my head. Wish there was more 50's and 60's content, though.

I'll have to consider The Ghost & Mrs. Muir from Australia, I suppose.
Frank Soyke said:
I think the key thing with CBS is to see if the Holidays bring more seasons of Hillbillies or Petticoat. I'm not real optimistic at this point as the syndication bible does not indicate any remastering of further seasons but I am hoping they are working on them for a holiday release like last year.
I wouldn't give up hope just yet. Looks like the first word around here of a remastering last year was on September 2nd (You broke the news), followed a couple of days later by DVD releases being announced and product pages appearing on Wal-Mart's website. So the opportunity for a similar tabletable this Fall hasn't yet passed us by.

And while they wouldn't be Christmas releases if this scenario happened, it's worth noting that the general retail release of both didn't happen until last spring. So even if the Wal-Mart deal doesn't continue, there's a bit of a chance they might be following up with general releases of both subsequent seasons early next year.

I'll be quite saddened if these don't continue. The impressions from several of us around these parts were that they were moving pretty well at their local Wal-Mart's. I remember buying Petticoat Junction and there were perhaps a half dozen copies on the shelf locally.

It was out of stock just a few days later when I checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks