Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 of 51 OFFLINE   Steen DK

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted August 23 2014 - 01:38 AM

An easy way to check if your edition has dubtitles is the scene where Kiki has just arrived at the bakery and the lady offers her a cup of... something. In Japanese she's offered coffee, the American version changed it to hot chocolate.

#42 of 51 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 804 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted August 23 2014 - 05:24 AM

I'm afraid that scene won't help.

There are 3 dubs in existence. The original Disney dub, the later "fixed" Disney dub, and the much earlier Streamline dub. The subtitles on all DVDs/Blu-rays that I am aware of are merely the Streamline dubtitles, a dub which hasn't appeared on home video since laserdisc. In that dub, she's offered coffee, and so the dubtitles reflect that.

A better scene is when Kiki first takes flight at the beginning. When she's out of sight her father cups his ears trying to listen out for her, and in Japanese says "It's OK. I think she's off without any trouble". If your disc has the Streamline dubtitles, this will be subtitled as "She's well past the lake and doing just fine". The Disney dub (and thus the Disney dubtitles) subtitle it as "May our little baby be well and have a safe trip."

As you can see, the Streamline dub was more faithful than the Disney one, so this isn't a huge problem (although in the scene when Kiki is watching the blimp on TV before the finale, the newsperson is subtitled as saying "Oh the humanity!" which is absolutely not said in Japanese).

#43 of 51 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,121 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 23 2014 - 08:35 AM

What's a "dubtitle"?

#44 of 51 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 804 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted August 23 2014 - 09:09 AM

A subtitle file that merely transcribes an English dub as opposed to translating the original language.

When you watch Kiki subtitled, the words aren't actually translating what the characters are saying (though they're close enough imo), they're just transcribing an old English dub script. Hence, they're dubtitles.

• DaveF likes this

#45 of 51 OFFLINE   Ahab

Ahab

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted August 23 2014 - 12:38 PM

Yes, but dubs are also translations of the original. 

All other things being equal, I think the subtitles should match the dubs. 

#46 of 51 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 804 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted August 23 2014 - 01:24 PM

It is very very rare for a dub to be anything like a translation of the original. The Kiki Disney dub is entirely different to the original Japanese as discussed in this thread. If one was to use subtitles that match that dub for the Japanese language track, you'd have subtitles coming up when no one is even speaking!

• cafink likes this

#47 of 51 OFFLINE   Martin_Teller

Martin_Teller

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 07:03 AM

Why? Why on earth would you want such a horrible thing?

• cafink and nara like this

#48 of 51 ONLINE   nara

nara

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 07:20 AM

That makes no sense to me. Sorry.

#49 of 51 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 25 2014 - 08:09 AM

Sorry, but have you seen Princess Mononoke with the English dub versus in Japanese with the correctly translated subtitles? Completely different experience. Before John Lassiter got involved with the Studio Ghibli releases, the English dubs were quite hyperbolic and overly "animated" (pardon the pun). The dubs since then have been an improvement, but still nowhere near as good as having the original dialogue. Disney should include both original translations and "dubtitles", in the interests of completeness.

• nara likes this
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#50 of 51 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 05:04 AM

There are 3 dubs in existence. The original Disney dub, the later "fixed" Disney dub, and the much earlier Streamline dub. The subtitles on all DVDs/Blu-rays that I am aware of are merely the Streamline dubtitles, a dub which hasn't appeared on home video since laserdisc. In that dub, she's offered coffee, and so the dubtitles reflect that.

A better scene is when Kiki first takes flight at the beginning. When she's out of sight her father cups his ears trying to listen out for her, and in Japanese says "It's OK. I think she's off without any trouble". If your disc has the Streamline dubtitles, this will be subtitled as "She's well past the lake and doing just fine". The Disney dub (and thus the Disney dubtitles) subtitle it as "May our little baby be well and have a safe trip."

Just checked my Taiwanese copy and it indeed has the Streamline dubtitles.  I distinctly remember going to a lot of hassle to get this version instead of the easier-to-obtain R2 Japan and R3 Hong Kong releases.  I can only guess that those used the Disney dubtitles instead of the Streamline dubtitles.  This was so long ago that I can't remember the specifics, but it must have been the lesser of two evils.  All along I thought it was a literal translation.  

#51 of 51 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted November 18 2014 - 10:16 PM

As you can see, the Streamline dub was more faithful than the Disney one, so this isn't a huge problem (although in the scene when Kiki is watching the blimp on TV before the finale, the newsperson is subtitled as saying "Oh the humanity!" which is absolutely not said in Japanese).

I can't quite figure out the subtitles on the Blu-ray. They are definitely not the same translation as the 2003 DVD (which I understand is based on the Streamline dub). They seem to follow the English dub for the most part, but then every once in a while there's a different line, almost as if specific lines were altered in order to make it seem like a different translation than the dub. I don't understand Japanese, so I can't tell for sure.

Kiki's father's line in the subtitles as she clears the lake is now "Sounds like she's off safely." And in the first bakery scene, the line is "coffee."

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users