What's new

Outlander (Starz) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised there isn't already a thread for this. Outlander is Ronald D. Moore's adaptation of Diana Gabaldon's series of books about an English World War II combat nurse that finds herself transported through Celtic magic back to 18th century Scotland. The series premiere was Saturday.I thought it was brilliant, and surprisingly trusting of its audience; the premiere spends roughly the first two-thirds in 1945, while the show doesn't really come to life until she goes back in time.Caitriona Balfe shines as the star of the show, and has instant chemistry with Sam Heughan. Tobias Menzies does a good job in the dual roles of Claire's decent and likable 1945 husband and the husband's ancestor, a brutish snake of a man.While Moore was credited as an executive producer on "Helix", this pilot makes it pretty clear that this show was the one he focused his attention on. Bear McCreary's score is excellent.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've been meaning to take this in. I sampled it briefly the other day and it wasn't working for me, but a good friend of mine watched it in its entirety and recommended it to me. I'm a pretty big fan of Moore's BSG and his participation is the 'hook' that has me interested in a series that I might not otherwise view. McCreary's name in the credits doesn't hurt either. :)

It has been playing practically non-stop so I'll have to take a look this week.

- Walter.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Adam Lenhardt said:
Bear McCreary's score is excellent.
You could chisel in stone, as it is one of those things that will likely always be true. He's the best composer currently writing for television.

I thought the pilot was excellent. It's no secret I was a massive BSG fan, so I give a viewing to anything with Moore's name attached to it. Solid episode from top-to-bottom. It remains to be seen whether the show's subject matter can churn out truly amazing episodes, like True Detective, Fargo, The Leftovers, and Person of Interest, but I'm in for the season.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Good score, production values, and acting..

But hopefully the narration doesn't go past the pilot.. It may look good on paper, but out loud, in a posh British accent, it's cloying and stilted.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm one of those people who loves narration in television and films. I thought it really gave the pilot a different quality, especially since Claire was narrating from the perspective of having already lived through whatever she's about to experience.And given that it's a literary adaptation, the narration allows Moore to expose what's in Claire's head in a way that television usually can't.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
She's no Morgan Freeman.. Just sayin'.. :)

The language is just too flowery and prolix, and the 'posh', laboured diction just runs it into the ground, in my opinion.. Granted it's narration, not dialogue.

Take Blade Runner.. The version with no narration, which I prefer (surprise) still manages to show everything we need to know in due course, no hand-holding..

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
doug zdanivsky said:
no hand-holding..
There's hand-holding, and there's hand-holding. I've written in other threads that I'm a big fan of shows trusting their audience, giving them a large amount of credit, and not explaining everything in bucket loads of exposition. True Detective put on a master class in this regard, and, more recently, The Leftovers is another great example. I generally allow otherwise great shows to have one or two small moments of summary each episode, if only because it possibly increases overall viewership, as fewer people are "lost," and abandon the show. Person of Interest falls into this category. While it is way too early to tell, Outlander seems to be using the narration as a true story-telling tool, as opposed to a way to get around lazy writing (which nobody would ever accuse Moore of being guilty of).

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
While it is way too early to tell, Outlander seems to be using the narration as a true story-telling tool
Well, like I said, hopefully it's all set up for us now, and there's no need for it any more, as it takes me right out of the show in a way a movie like Shawshank Redemption or Amadeus, for example, doesn't at all..

I think maybe I just hate her accent.. I can't stand Elizabeth Hurley, either.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Started recently because of Moore's involvement and whilst I enjoyed all the episodes there was something missing.That all changed with Episode 6 which was the first real introduction of a key character seen in the pilot and the most tense episode so far. Brilliant episode given it mainly takes place in one room.Love the score, production design, acting and cinematography but this episode finally gave the show an extra spark, and together with Episode 5 a hint of where the storyline may be going. It was the hook I needed to make me keep watching.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm completely hooked at this point. Much more deliberately paced than "Battlestar Galactica", but the world Moore and Co. have created is both grounded and magical.Note for the behind-the-scenes junkies like me: As with "Battlestar Galactica", Ronald D. Moore is doing weekly commentary podcasts for each episode. The Scotch is full stocked, and the smoking lamp is on. Starz is making them available on iTunes here:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/outlander-official-podcast/id910631883?mt=2

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Well it took me a few episodes but now Im officially hooked. The last three episodes have all been fantastic. Well worth a look by anyone still on the fence since its only eight episodes. Looking forward to next year. Now its a question of whether I read the books or not.

And I really hope they release a full length version of the soundtrack.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Good start and interesting to see they changed the viewpoint - very nice idea. I assume this happens in the book too.

I'm sure the spanking is what everyone will be talking about :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I like the show but am waiting for something to happen to make me love it.

The two leads are fantastic and have great chemistry - reminds me of John and Aeryn from Farscape.

But when neither of those two characters are on the screen, my attention wanders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks