What's new

Can you Jumper Receiver with sound bar (1 Viewer)

Gizmo21

Auditioning
Real Name
JR
Hi,To start I am new to setting up surround sound so be gentle. I am wondering if there is a way to tie in (add) my sound bar from a previous room to the living room setup. Currently in the living room I have the following setup......Receiver - Onkyo tx-nr616Monitor speakers 2x - mtx monitor 12 25hz-20khz 250 watt rms 500 watt peak 8ohmCenter speaker - klipsch synergy c1 50 watt 8ohmSatellites speakers (if they are) - 2x klipsch synergy s1 50 watt 8 ohmSoundbar (not hooked up) - Sony ht-ct150That covers the basic hardware. I do have 5 hdmi devices connected. The receiver provides 7 input slots 1 output slot and 1 sub output slot, with 2 fiber inputs. The soundbar has 3 hdmi inputs and 1 hdmi output with 2fiber ins.Current setup and placement i am struggling with because the sound is not full. I have the 2 monitors up front and the center up front, with the 2 other klipsch in the back just above ear level. My thought is if I can add the soundbar I will get the benefit of the extra sub, with added sound to the center possibly moving the current center to the rear. While this may not be the optimal setup, right now it is what I have to work with. Buying new speakers or receiver is currently not an option, but with all of this gear I am hoping someone can give me some options or even sound setup to help. Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What crossovers did you choose?I take it you don't currently have a sub.Are the speakers ear height, or above?Are they pointed at the center seat?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Also, what sources are you using and how are they connected to the 616? You should be running HDMI for all your HD sources to the 616 (no additional audio connections needed), and each source should be configured to output the highest quality audio format (bitstream in your Blu-ray player, 5.1 for everything else).

Edit: I see you mentioned 5 HDMI sources, so that's good, but the optical connections should not be needed if you're using HDMI...

Then, as Sam mentioned, be sure that your 616 is properly set up and configured. Did you run the Audyssey auto-calibration feature? Make sure you're not using any sort of audio "mode" like "concert", "Rock", etc.

"Adding" a soundbar to a "regular" 5.1 setup will NOT improve anything. All it will do is muddy the sound further and cause connection/hookup nightmares.

We can help you get your receiver/speakers working better.

Gizmo21

Auditioning
Real Name
JR
schan1269 said:
What crossovers did you choose?I take it you don't currently have a sub.Are the speakers ear height, or above?Are they pointed at the center seat?
No crossovers, towers go from floor to ear level maybe just above. The rear speakers are also just above ear level. All speakers are pointed towards the middle lounge couch thing yea

Gizmo21

Auditioning
Real Name
JR
Jason Charlton said:
Also, what sources are you using and how are they connected to the 616? You should be running HDMI for all your HD sources to the 616 (no additional audio connections needed), and each source should be configured to output the highest quality audio format (bitstream in your Blu-ray player, 5.1 for everything else). Edit: I see you mentioned 5 HDMI sources, so that's good, but the optical connections should not be needed if you're using HDMI... Then, as Sam mentioned, be sure that your 616 is properly set up and configured. Did you run the Audyssey auto-calibration feature? Make sure you're not using any sort of audio "mode" like "concert", "Rock", etc. "Adding" a soundbar to a "regular" 5.1 setup will NOT improve anything. All it will do is muddy the sound further and cause connection/hookup nightmares. We can help you get your receiver/speakers working better.
Everything is hooked up thru HDMI with monster connectors and monster xi high def wire.How do I run calibration?I have like a million auto config set ups. Anything from thx, neo6, dts, dts2, Dolby digital plus, and a bunch more, the problem is all sound a little different and dunno where to set it. Based on responses ill bag the sound bar idea, I'm all for fixing the audio.I'll add a pic of the setup front and rear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 69

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The crossovers is the bass management.The sound modes(everything you mentioned) has nothing, at all, to do with bass management.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
How do I run calibration?
If you said this, it's a 99% chance that calibration is your problem. You have to go into the receiver's menu and initiate the calibration. When it's done, make sure at least the fronts are set to large (since you don't have a sub).

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Running Audyssey is supremely important in your case since you're mixing the Klipsch center with those huge mains. It's always recommended to use speakers from the same product line for the front three - since sounds often pan across the entire front soundstage (or at least bleed from one speaker to another) so you want the speakers to have similar tonal qualities (this is called timbre matching).

As Al suggested, there is a good chance that a poorly or uncalibrated system is a huge factor in your disappointment.

You also never mentioned if you had a standalone subwoofer or not. If not, you should get one. Even though those floorstanding speakers may have "woofers", they are not the same thing as a true subwoofer and are not capable of real LFE.

Getting even a modest subwoofer (like the 12" Dayton from parts express) will outperform the woofers in your mains, as well as relieve the receiver of the burden of having to drive the low frequencies. IMO, spending $150 on a subwoofer is a better option for you than spending $150 (or even $300) on a soundbar.

Read your manual starting at page 34 (running Audyssey) - it involves connecting a small microphone (which came with the receiver) and placing it in one or more positions then letting the software send test tones to the speakers and adjust the levels accordingly.

Also, to expand on the sound mode issue: read your manual pages 39-43 for a detailed explanation of the various listening modes. Many of them utilize additional processing to "enhance" the surround sound experience. You should NOT use these modes if your sources are capable of digital surround sound (like DVD/Blu-ray, or HD cable/satellite boxes). Start with the "Dolby Digital" setting - this will preserve the format of the input signal, and utilize the Audyssey calibration settings during playback.

Users who are viewing this thread