Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

RIP Robin Williams

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 of 78 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 692 posts

Posted August 12 2014 - 07:24 AM

I still think "Mork and Mindy" was his best work. But I still haven't seen some of his more acclaimed movies like GOOD MORNING VIETNAM and DEAD POETS SOCIETY. 

A memory of HOOK: it has a strong father-child-and-abandonment theme and I took my daughter and nieces to see it when it came out. When it was over, my then-8-year-old daughter reached over and gave me a spontaneous hug, glad that I was there for her. That was amazing. And 23 years later, last week, her birthday card to me expressed a similar sentiment.

#62 of 78 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 12 2014 - 09:09 AM

Of his more serious films i thought Dead Poet's Society and Good Will Hunting to be his best work, really good movies too.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#63 of 78 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,691 posts

Posted August 12 2014 - 09:27 AM

We're losing too many of 'em in too short a period. This news, however, is particularly sad, sad, sad, sad.

Tonight, I think, I will watch the first movie I ever saw Robin Williams in: The World According to Garp.

Rest in Peace, Robin Williams. Bringer of much joy to the people of this world.

Cees

#64 of 78 OFFLINE   Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm

Second Unit

• 476 posts
  • LocationStockholm, SWEDEN

Posted August 12 2014 - 10:25 AM

Sometimes when you win, you lose, and sometimes when you lose, you win.

Truly sad, a great, troubled actor and human being, who brought us so many absolutely magnificent performances. I hope he has found peace :(

/Mikael

- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
-"Life. I love life, very much indeed."
David Bowie interviewed by Russell Harty, 1973

#65 of 78 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,397 posts

Posted August 12 2014 - 12:59 PM

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]I go back with Williams to his first appearance on Happy Days.  The news yesterday was a real punch in the gut for me.  Williams has made me laugh and cry more than any other performer.  RIP Mr Williams - may you have vanquished whatever demons haunted you. [/color]

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#66 of 78 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,672 posts

Posted August 12 2014 - 01:30 PM

POPULAR

I was shocked by the death of Robin Williams, both as a pop culture buff and a man who has battled depression to the point where I even tried tightening a belt around my neck once. I hope that Williams has found the peace that so often eluded him in life.

Pardon me for mentioning this, but I actually wrote a tribute to Robin Williams for Pop Geeks today. I sometimes find that writing articles is the best way to get out my feelings about people whose work I admire and who are no longer with us: http://popgeeks.net/...robin-williams/

Last night, I listened to his 1986 album "Live At The Met", and it was fun to listen to, but also a little sad, especially the final 3 tracks, "Childbirth", "Childhood" and "And The Future". My good thoughts are with his family as well...No one should have to suffer the loss of a parent.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I know someone might bring up the horrible thing I said about Kurt Cobain on here in 2001, but I was in a bad place emotionally at the time, neglecting my medicine and basically being out of my mind with depression and anger over my life at the time. Talk to somebody...Anybody if you're in a bad place. There is help out there, and people who love you. Never ignore a cry for help, and never be afraid to ask for help.

Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#67 of 78 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Go Dawgs!

• 2,067 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted August 12 2014 - 04:01 PM

Going to watch my favorite Robin Williams movie tonight...The Fisher King. Thank you Mr. Williams.

#68 of 78 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,982 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 07:39 AM

There was a long time in the 80s and through much of the 90s, when I'd never miss anything Robin Williams did. I also go back to his first appearance on Happy Days. I'd see his films, HBO specials, TV appearances, talk show guest spots, and so on. At the 1986 Amnesty International Conspiracy of a Hope tour finale in New Jersey, Williams' spots were a highlight (and, fortunately, saved on last year's DVD). I always said he was a genius; that his brain worked differently than most people's. I'm sorry he didn't continue to get the kind of roles he deserved, and I'm so, so sorry he's not with us anymore.

#69 of 78 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,196 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 10:12 AM

This is still shocking to hear. Rest in Peace, Robin Williams. Such a huge blow for show business!

I always the first time watching "Good Will Hunting", which was the first serious film that I've seen him in. I can remember nearly jumping out of my seat when he grabbed and threatened to kill Matt Damon's character.

I also liked him as Genie in "Aladdin", and always enjoyed his song "A Friend Like Me".

I hope this raises more awareness on depression, especially in men. And how it is not something that be overcome by "sucking it up".

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - December
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#70 of 78 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 11:44 AM

It's been a couple of days now and I am still in shock of a great loss to the world.  When it came to movies I enjoyed him in, I forgot about What Dreams May Come and how great he was in that.  RIP RW, you will be missed.

Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#71 of 78 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,947 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 14 2014 - 12:10 PM

I'm happy I already own most of his flicks.  There's a few I still need to see. 

The other day I was getting out a bunch of horror/thrillers/etc for Sept and Oct.  And came across One Hour Photo.  I was up in the air if I was going to watch it again so soon.  Not up in the air no more.  :)  He's brilliant in that.  I also recommend The Night Listener.  It's on blu ray paired up with something else.  Darkness, I think.  That's a good movie too. 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#72 of 78 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,703 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 07:50 PM

Like many here; just can't wrap my head and heart around this. Just blew me away. Still does. Prayers sent out to his family and close friends. Can't imagine. :( 

#73 of 78 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,792 posts

Posted August 15 2014 - 08:45 AM

POPULAR

Robin's wife has released a statement. http://deadline.com/...atement-819537/

“Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.Robin’s sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson’s Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.”

I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#74 of 78 ONLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,463 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted August 24 2014 - 10:12 AM

POPULAR

Today, I am still having trouble dealing with Robin's passing.  What a brilliant, delightful artist he was.  I had thought he would be a part of my life forever.

Now whenever a picture of him is shown, I find myself looking at his eyes and, now, I often see sadness in them.

Considering how he created his art, Parkinson's must have been terrible news for him.  Of course it would be terrible news for anyone, but I think much worse for Robin.

Goodbye dear Robin.

I hope the actors studio shows his interview again.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#75 of 78 OFFLINE   SamT

SamT

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 11:02 AM

I just saw Dead Poets Society for the first time. Can you believe that movie is a quarter of century old?!

Here since 1999!

trakt is a fun way to see what we watch and rate. Add me if you are in this thread!

#76 of 78 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,705 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted August 24 2014 - 11:37 AM

I haven't seen it in about as much time, but I aim to rectify that once Blu-ray inventory replenishes.

#77 of 78 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,947 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 25 2014 - 02:47 AM

I hope all his stuff gets some quick blu rays.  I had to borrow Death to Smoochy over the weekend.  Never seen that...  absolute delight!  Lemme preorder that blu ray! 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#78 of 78 OFFLINE   JasonRoer

JasonRoer

Auditioning

• 9 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted August 25 2014 - 04:59 AM

Wow, Radioman - I LOVED Death to Smoochy. I had the DVD years ago and have no idea where it is now. Boo to that. Thanks for reminding me of such a fun film.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users