What's new

Annoying image (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Annoying image! Its messing up the pm where I have to reformat the size of the image so I can read the pm as its cropping off the sides of the pm.

Its okay on the site itself but I'm not into this image. Can you please format it so it doesn't make the pm look odd? I have no sweat at resizing the pm.

Every time refresh page, GET THIS IMAGE OUT OF MY FACE! :angry:

10580965_10152621277765149_8726824284189588009_o.jpg

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's very annoying, formatted to go either side of the forum, very neat and tidy and probably a sign of things to come. ? More ads like this i expect.

I know the site has to pay for itself but there has to be better and less intrusive ways, the forum area is now much smaller, i don't like it. If i could choose to switch this off without paying for it then count me as happy.

I don't think i will be paying for a premium membership to erase it, it may put me off posting as much, that will please some. :lol:

P.S. If this was a couple of good looking women wearing bikini's i think i would have been less likely to complain.

Another P.S. I'm not feeling like posting much right now.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
classicmovieguy said:
I love the Marx Brothers as much as the next guy, but this isn't very funny. ;)
It's not freezing my Safari--just making it clunkier--but:

A) it would be depressing to look at retirement-era post-Casablanca Marx Bros. even in full color :( , and

B) you're NOT FREAKIN' IMDB...Please, let's not take it from "Proscenium banners" that take up every border of the page to the next IMDB stage, to big Flash-video banner pop-up ads that suddenly commandeer every attempt to move your mouse to the search button at the top of the page.

(I used to complain about all those Disney Vacation ads, two or three per page, that used to taunt me every time I came on the site--since my own trip is still a month away :angry: --but at least they were only in a couple of places wherever I went on the site...)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Agree I won't buy this Maxs even if it was Sensurround Atmos with George Lucas THX. I won't buy it. I see it as FLASH image to try and make me and others buy.

TV ads I often mute the fader so I don't get an ear full of BS that I will never buy. In fact TV ads don't do ads for Dolby Atmos, why is that I wonder?
Its ether shampoo make-up dog or cat food, cars, cars, cars boring! :angry:

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Konstantinos said:
I agree, this is way too intrusive. The forum area has been shortened quite a lot!
Yeah, didn't notice that till now--
HTF has already had a border, for the ads and "Other threads" links, and now THAT border has a border... :wacko:

andySu

Senior HTF Member
My pc is formatted like this but before the odd white blank page I saw early around before midday, then when visiting site again and seeing this odd image behind? When going into pm, I get the left side with avatars all CROPPED off like a bad bluray that has had the scope cropped off.

10497951_10152621350230149_3783318817204545805_o.jpg

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I've blanked the text on the pm with a member as its private conversation.

But see how the image looks its all cropped off and if I reformat the size on the tool-bar the text looks tiny, even on 26" widescreen monitor at 1 metre in front of me.

10355467_10152621356235149_5229877856480313016_o.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
These side ads mean that the actual forum content is reduced to 650 pixels wide on my 1080 pixel wide monitor.I understand the need for advertising to keep this site afloat, and have always supported HTF's various efforts to keep itself solvent. Likewise, I have no problem with a premium tier without advertising and a free tier with advertising.But the object should not be to make the free experience as miserable as possible. If roughly half my screen is eaten up by advertising, I am far less likely to frequent that site. It creates connotations of cheapness and exploitation. And considering that my experience with the HTF up until now has always been the opposite of those things, that's quite a shame.And like Scott and Andy, I am greatly disinclined against buying Shout Factory's Marx Collection because of this overbearing and intrusive advertising campaign.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
This new formatting sucks. Harpo is staring into my soul, and poor Groucho looks like he's having a stroke!

I know the site has to pay it's bills, but there has to be a better way than this.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Adam, fair enough for the paying of the site, I have to pay my phone bill and internet myself.

I see this type ad styling on another website page and its annoying for ad for films that I see as C grade films.

A grade Awesome
B grade Bravo
C grade Crap

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I normally run on hometheaterforum with adblock off so I can support the site by using referral links. If this keeps up it will be done no longer. I currently have the Marx Bros. image blocked but it still eats up far too much screen real estate. and makes the forum pages too small.

There *has* to be a better way! :(

andySu

Senior HTF Member
BobO'Link said:
I normally run on hometheaterforum with adblock off so I can support the site by using referral links. If this keeps up it will be done no longer. I currently have the Marx Bros. image blocked but it still eats up far too much screen real estate. and makes the forum pages too small.

There *has* to be a better way! :(
Can you show us the version your using for all other members and the link, please and is it easy to set up in less than 1 minute?

But if the page still looks like like Academy ratio rather than W/S I'll take a pass on the blocker. Some blockers ad BS to computer that are bogus sites. I had one blocker for youtube, but forget which one and it can be added and working in less than 1 min but with Clint Eastwood's FIREFOX that I'm using now its pain in the ass to find one that isn't BS and I give up.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Guys, let's be aware that it's a careful balancing act in providing a quality website/forum, and finding a way to earn an income to be able to do so. I'm sure that at the moment, the owners are simply experimenting with finding the right balance.

I'll just add my feedback that right now, the background image is a bit excessive, taking up roughly 50% of a 16:9 computer monitor. The actual forum content is squeezed too tightly. At the very least the central part of the forum should be expanded and the side image area reduced. I don't mind the clickable banner at the top as that doesn't impact significantly on viewing content, since it can be scrolled past.

Interestingly, the image isn't intrusive on an iPad or iPhone (in full view) because the content sits on top of it, so at least mobile devices aren't being affected by this.

Here's a suggested resize in red:

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Dave, Thank you for sorting it out and removing it. :)

Checked the pm and its back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks