Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can use a Receiver as HDMI switch/bridge (so newbie)

Best Answer Jason Charlton , August 11 2014 - 09:23 AM

Yes, that will work for video as well as it does for audio.

In fact, this is the preferred way of connecting multiple sources to a surround sound system. The AVR (Audio Video Receiver) is designed to be the hub of the system. It will do all the audio and video switching you need while preserving the highest possible quality

Go to the full post

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Oswel Morales

Oswel Morales

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 09:10 AM

Greetings,
I'm buying a Yamaha RX-V377 these days, but I have a doubt.

My TV has only one HDMI port and I'm using Sky TV (using HDMI), PS3 (using HDMI) and WD Tv Live box (using hdmi) (I have to disconnect and connect, so boring).

My question is, can I connect all my components to Yamaha RX-V377 and then with a single HDMI cable (Receiver to TV) enjoy audio and video of all my components?

I know audio will work, but does video too?

Sorry if my inquiry goes beyond "newbie".

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,951 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted August 11 2014 - 09:23 AM   Best Answer

Yes, that will work for video as well as it does for audio.

In fact, this is the preferred way of connecting multiple sources to a surround sound system. The AVR (Audio Video Receiver) is designed to be the hub of the system. It will do all the audio and video switching you need while preserving the highest possible quality

• Oswel Morales likes this

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Poppop50

Poppop50

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 03:44 PM

Good evening.

I am new here as well and instead of starting a new post, I figured I would add to this being it is basically along the same lines. 

I have all my devices attached to the receiver.  Everything works great.  My problem is, most of the time when I am watching tv, I dont want to have to turn my receiver on just for a normal program.  When I am watching regular tv, I have the hdmi from the cable box go directly to the tv.  When I want to watch a movie or play games, I disconnect the hdmi cable from the tv to cable box and replace it with an hdmi coming from the receiver to the cable box.  Is there a way that I can connect everything without having to switch hdmi cables at the cable box?

Panasonic 50" with 3 hdmi ports  ( TV does not support ARC )

Motorola Fios Box with 1 hdmi port

Onyko Receiver with 7 hdmi

XBox One with 2 Hdmi ports.  

Infinity 5.1 speaker setup. 

Thank you.

Dave

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,572 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 04:58 PM

Just use the receiver for all audio, including TV. Why buy the receiver to NOT use it? You'll get used to doing that. Many of us have been doing that for decades.
  • Poppop50 likes this

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#5 of 6 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,225 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted August 18 2014 - 05:39 PM

Connect component/analog to the TV.

Or...does the AVR have HDMI passthrough in standby?

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Poppop50

Poppop50

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 08:50 PM

I was reading the manual and it has a "standby" mode but I havent gotten that far in the manual  I am about to look at it now. 

Thank you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users