What's new

Can use a Receiver as HDMI switch/bridge (so newbie) (1 Viewer)

Oswel Morales

Auditioning
Greetings,I'm buying a Yamaha RX-V377 these days, but I have a doubt.
My TV has only one HDMI port and I'm using Sky TV (using HDMI), PS3 (using HDMI) and WD Tv Live box (using hdmi) (I have to disconnect and connect, so boring).My question is, can I connect all my components to Yamaha RX-V377 and then with a single HDMI cable (Receiver to TV) enjoy audio and video of all my components?
I know audio will work, but does video too?

Sorry if my inquiry goes beyond "newbie".

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Yes, that will work for video as well as it does for audio.

In fact, this is the preferred way of connecting multiple sources to a surround sound system. The AVR (Audio Video Receiver) is designed to be the hub of the system. It will do all the audio and video switching you need while preserving the highest possible quality

Poppop50

Auditioning
Real Name
David deRonde
Good evening.

I am new here as well and instead of starting a new post, I figured I would add to this being it is basically along the same lines.

I have all my devices attached to the receiver. Everything works great. My problem is, most of the time when I am watching tv, I dont want to have to turn my receiver on just for a normal program. When I am watching regular tv, I have the hdmi from the cable box go directly to the tv. When I want to watch a movie or play games, I disconnect the hdmi cable from the tv to cable box and replace it with an hdmi coming from the receiver to the cable box. Is there a way that I can connect everything without having to switch hdmi cables at the cable box?

Panasonic 50" with 3 hdmi ports ( TV does not support ARC )
Motorola Fios Box with 1 hdmi port
Onyko Receiver with 7 hdmi
XBox One with 2 Hdmi ports.
Infinity 5.1 speaker setup.

Thank you.

Dave

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just use the receiver for all audio, including TV. Why buy the receiver to NOT use it? You'll get used to doing that. Many of us have been doing that for decades.

Poppop50

Auditioning
Real Name
David deRonde
I was reading the manual and it has a "standby" mode but I havent gotten that far in the manual I am about to look at it now.

Thank you for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks