What's new

60s spy films that should be on MOD DVD (if not MOD Blu) (1 Viewer)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
The following 60s spy films (three serious, one humorous) need to be released via MOD disc, if not MOD Blu:

Gunn (1967) - movie adaptation of "Peter Gunn" TV series. Craig Stevens, Laura Devon. Directed by Blake Edwards

Danger Route (1967) Richard Johnson, Carol Lynley, Barbara Bouchet

Last of the Secret Agents? (1966) starring comedy team Allen & Rossi
(Marty Allen, Steve Rossi)

The Ipcress File (1965) Michael Caine. One of the greatest spy films ever made. Obviously deserves far more than a MOD release, but has been OOP for so long that anything would be welcome.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
How about Masquerade (1965) with Cliff Robertson? Haven't seen it in years ,but I remember it being interesting.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I have Massquerade . I thought it looked pretty good . The 2 movie set were on 2 discs .

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
There's a fine region-free Blu of Ipcress File that you can find on Amazon. I think Amazon Uk would have it cheaper, too.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Bob Cashill said:
There's a fine region-free Blu of Ipcress File that you can find on Amazon. I think Amazon Uk would have it cheaper, too.
I watched that disc a few days ago. It's really good with some first class extras.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
As was stated earlier, the quality of Masquerade is quite nice (even though it's a MOD).
The Ipcress BD is a bit soft. I have the UK and AUS versions and they appear to be nearly identical--definitely worth the money.I believe I read somewhere that Network was bringing out another, newer BD of it but I couldn't find the site.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Actually, I'm betting that we will probably see an official Region A Blu of "Ipcress" not too long from now, by whoever holds license or rights - either Shout factory or Kino Lorber, I believe. For one thing, it's 50th anniversary is next year..
Otherwise, I would hate to think it would take a remake, or - God forbid, of course - for Michael Caine to shuffle off this mortal coil* (just saying).

(*Incidentally, the verse from Shakespeare's Hamlet that introduced this phrase begins with "What dreams may come..." - the title of a hit Robin Williams film. RIP dear man)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mike*HTF said:
The Ipcress BD is a bit soft. I have the UK and AUS versions and they appear to be nearly identical--definitely worth the money.
I believe I read somewhere that Network was bringing out another, newer BD of it but I couldn't find the site.
Network has brought out a new Blu-ray disc of The Ipcress File. That was the disc I watched. The previous disc was released a few years ago.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
It's not 1960s, but it's still a nifty spy flick: The Fourth Protocol with Michael Caine, Pierce Brosnan, Ned Beatty, Ian Richardson and Joanna Cassidy. It came out on VHS (P&S) but never even on DVD except in Brazil.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I have a UK disc of Protocol, which was available for downloading from the Warner Archive in its infancy five years ago. Why it's never surfaced on disc is a mystery.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'm still waiting for A Man Called Dagger- it's never been on TCM, and has yet to be released thru the Warner Archive (which has the video rights as it was a 1960s MGM movie).

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Checked with Warner and it no longer has the rights to Protocol.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Definitely Danger Route (1967, MGM) and Gunn (1967, Paramount), and I'd add:

Serious:

Fraulein Doktor (1968, set in World War I, but very much in the '60s spy mold) Paramount
Hard Contract (1969) Fox
When Eight Bells Toll (1971) Rank

Comedic:

Where the Spies Are (1965) WB
Kiss the Girls and Make Them Die (1966) Sony/Columbia
Operation Kid Brother (1967, a straight release, beyond the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode) MGM
Some Girls Do (1969, sequel to "Deadlier Than the Male" and available in R2) MGM/Rank
International Secret Police: Interpol Code 8 (1963) Toho/Criterion
International Secret Police: Trap of Suicide Kilometer (1964) Toho/Criterion
International Secret Police: A Barrel of Gunpowder (1964) Toho/Criterion
International Secret Police: Key of Keys (1965) Toho/Criterion
International Secret Police: The Killing Bottle (1967) Toho/Criterion

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Peter M Fitzgerald said:
Definitely Danger Route (1967, MGM) and Gunn (1967, Paramount), and I'd add:

Serious:

Fraulein Doktor (1968, set in World War I, but very much in the '60s spy mold) Paramount
Hard Contract (1969) Fox
When Eight Bells Toll (1971) Rank

Comedic:

Where the Spies Are (1965) WB
Kiss the Girls and Make Them Die (1966) Sony/Columbia
Operation Kid Brother (1967, a straight release, beyond the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode) MGM
Some Girls Do (1969, sequel to "Deadlier Than the Male" and available in R2) MGM/Rank
International Secret Police: Interpol Code 8 (1963) Toho/Criterion
International Secret Police: Trap of Suicide Kilometer (1964) Toho/Criterion
International Secret Police: A Barrel of Gunpowder (1964) Toho/Criterion
International Secret Police: Key of Keys (1965) Toho/Criterion
International Secret Police: The Killing Bottle (1967) Toho/Criterion
The last two are famous for different reasons: KEY OF KEYS was redubbed by Woody Allen as WHAT'S UP TIGER LILY?
THE KILLING BOTTLE was the third of three films Nick Adams made in Japan and the only one we've never seen here in the U.S. (The other two, of course, were FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD and GODZILLA VS. MONSTER ZERO.) Nick plays a character named John Carter.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I've always wanted to see the French OSS 117 films from the 60s, along with Les Tribulations d'un Chinois en Chine, all with English subtitles.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Dick said:

It appears that disc is in PAL format, and I don't own a multi-region player (yes, I'm still a newbie with respect to region-hacking/ conversion).

Also, still hoping for this to be the year "Gunn" (aforementioned '67 'Peter Gunn' film) finally makes it to DVD or Blu. I have no info on how well Timeless Media's DVDs of the series have sold, but hopefully enough to help start the ball rolling. Even if not, if this summer's "Man From U.N.C.L .E. movie remake is successful, perhaps it will give someone the (alas, not-terribly-fortunate) idea of resurrecting the "Peter Gunn" character, which might lead to "Gunn" finally seeing the home video-light-of-day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks