What's new

Oklahoma (Blu-ray) Single Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
oklahoma.jpeg

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Will the single blu-ray of "Oklahoma" have the Todd-A-O AND the Cinemascope versions on it? Thanks.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
AnthonyClarke said:
Yes, if the sound level has been adjusted, it will be perfect! At the moment it's way too low.
Here we go again.
Nothing wrong with the sound just people who haven't upgraded their playback systems.
In fact the sound sets a new standard in reproduction.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, to be fair, you started the merry-go-round.
My B & W system is high quality but I find it boring to have to constantly adjust the sound level between audio tracks. A bit more care in setting audio levels to what is regarded as normal would have been helpful in the first place!
Anyway, that's enough said .. no point flogging a dead horse since it's clear this will never be looked at again ... until a totally new format is developed!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
AnthonyClarke said:
Well, to be fair, you started the merry-go-round.
My B & W system is high quality but I find it boring to have to constantly adjust the sound level between audio tracks. A bit more care in setting audio levels to what is regarded as normal would have been helpful in the first place!
Anyway, that's enough said .. no point flogging a dead horse since it's clear this will never be looked at again ... until a totally new format is developed!
And it looks like one is on its way this Christmas!.
P.S Anthony, what pre amp/processor do you use?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
This is only Blu Ray that I know of that does not sound well on all systems. There should be a disclaimer on the cover of the Blu Ray ...."DO NOT BUY THIS DISC IF YOUR SOUND SYSTEM HAS NOT BEEN UPGRADED"
Seriously!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Ken Koc said:
This is only Blu Ray that I know of that does not sound well on all systems. There should be a disclaimer on the cover of the Blu Ray ...."DO NOT BUY THIS DISC IF YOUR SOUND SYSTEM HAS NOT BEEN UPGRADED"
Seriously!

It's crazy, right? The idea that the only people who should be buying this disc are up-to-the-moment home theater fanatics is ludicrous. If this disc doesn't also sound good to my 80 year old grandmother* listening through her tv speakers then Fox has shot themselves in the foot and lost.

(* figuratively speaking, as both of my grandmothers have passed)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
What is the alleged problem with the sound? My 5.1 system is not latest and greatest, but I do not recall l any problems with it.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
My audio system is far from the latest and greatest. I have a Sony STR-DE995 receiver and no center speaker. The center information is directed to the left and right KEF reference series speakers that were state of the art maybe twenty years ago. This arrangement works for virtually every movie in my collection. It's far from ideal, but it's very workable until I upgrade. In my bedroom I have the same receiver with a complete 5.1 speaker setup.

On the bluray of OKLAHOMA, the music tracks on both systems sound full and rich but the center dialogue sounds thin and weak, as if being played on a portable TV. The laserdisc sounds wonderful, the DVD sounds compressed and the blu-ray has the richest sounding music with the thinnest sounding dialogue.

My only complaint is that there isn't a supplementary audio channel similar to what's on the laserdisc for those of us who don't have whatever top-of-the-line audio setup this movie requires.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
john a hunter said:
And it looks like one is on its way this Christmas!.
P.S Anthony, what pre amp/processor do you use?
I use two which I can choose between .. usually a B & W soundbar which pumps out enough volume usually, but for this I've switched over to my hi-fi rig which I can also feed .. which is a Quad 99 - 606 pre and power amp combo, which pumps out about 140 watts per channel into my English 'Neat' speakers.
cheers

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Will Krupp said:
It's crazy, right? The idea that the only people who should be buying this disc are up-to-the-moment home theater fanatics is ludicrous. If this disc doesn't also sound good to my 80 year old grandmother* listening through her tv speakers then Fox has shot themselves in the foot and lost.

(* figuratively speaking, as both of my grandmothers have passed)
While not being rude to your dear departed Grannies, Will, if we dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator( presumably so those using an ear trumpet can hear) we would all still be listening to wax cylinders!
Nothing wrong with this soundtrack that a reasonable playback system can't deal with.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
AnthonyClarke said:
I use two which I can choose between .. usually a B & W soundbar which pumps out enough volume usually, but for this I've switched over to my hi-fi rig which I can also feed .. which is a Quad 99 - 606 pre and power amp combo, which pumps out about 140 watts per channel into my English 'Neat' speakers.
cheers
So if I have this right Anthony you listen in 2 track stereo and are mixing the 5 tracks down into 2?
If so, then you need to check how your player(?) is down mixing to 2 track. That may be where your problem lies.

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
It's not just your sound system - it's the speakers too. Oklahoma sounds great on my home system because my center channel speaker is identical to my right/left speakers... including the subwoofer. A lot of "high-end" speaker systems put subwoofers in the right & left tower speakers but supply a smaller center channel speaker without a subwoofer. My brother has such a setup and the dialog does sound tinny.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
There seem to some elitists who only care that it works on their own system.
i think of my experience with Hurricane Sandy..those elitists who were above 23rd St with power could not have cared less about those who did not have power below 23rd.
Apparently many feel "Who cares if OKLAHOMA does not sound right for many consumers? It works fine on mine and I don't care about anyone else."

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Ken Koc said:
There seem to some elitists who only care that it works on their own system.
i think of my experience with Hurricane Sandy..those elitists who were above 23rd St with power could not have cared less about those who did not have power below 23rd.
Apparently many feel "Who cares if OKLAHOMA does not sound right for many consumers? It works fine on mine and I don't care about anyone else."
This is insulting rubbish. If that was the case I wouldn't have made the suggestions above and I hope I hear from Anthony as I would very much like to assist him in getting the best from this superb restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks