Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Farewell to the Old (Fisher 27"), Hail the New (Vizio 47" M-Series)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 542 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island, Florida

Posted August 07 2014 - 03:35 PM

Well folks, after nearly 30 years of service, I've finally been able to retire my old Fisher 27" CRT TV (Vintage 1987) as our primary bedroom TV.  Originally purchased as part of a huge Fisher entertainment system, including a VHS, turntable, cassette deck and later a 6-CD changer (at the closing of the O'Neils store chain in the Cleveland, OH area)  the TV was the only part that pretty much went the distance.  The VCR saw little service for awhile, then when my other VHS conked out, it saw full-time service until it too conked out in 1997.  CD Changer, turntable and cassette deck all were sold off (still wish I had the turntable) leaving the TV.

And its still operational but now going into storage until final disposition.  I have contacted a electronics & TV museum to see if they'd be interested in a donation.  If not, then maybe to a local electronics school (East Florida Comm College) might take it for educational purposes.

Anyway a little sad but its time has come.

Love the new Vizio 47" M-Series so far.

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

• DaveF and Josh Steinberg like this

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,697 posts

Posted August 07 2014 - 04:04 PM

Nice!

We just upgraded from a 12" TV/VCR combo in the bedroom to a 40".  (Or, to put it more accurately, moving in together has allowed us to take one of our former "living room" TVs and turn it into a bedroom screen, so not a new purchase.) 

The VCR part of the combo had checked out a long time ago (or as my girlfriend put it, "it plays tapes just fine, it's just ejecting the tape unharmed that's the tricky part"), but the picture on the screen was pretty good.  Was at least ten years old and something she got for cheap for her college dorm room, so I think everyone was happy in how long it lasted.  I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that the TV/VCR combo may have been a Fisher.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 542 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 10:43 AM

Of course now that I just spent the $$ on the Vizio 47, Vizio just now releases the new 49" M-series , complete with 240 Hz refresh rate and smooth motion.
Drat , Drat and it's Double Drat!!

Edited by Kyrsten Brad, August 14 2014 - 10:45 AM.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted August 14 2014 - 11:11 AM

Of course now that I just spent the $$ on the Vizio 47, Vizio just now releases the new 49" M-series , complete with 240 Hz refresh rate and smooth motion.
Drat , Drat and it's Double Drat!!

Don't you just love tech....buy it today, outdated tomorrow.

I've had to really control myself from buying a new TV or some accessory every year as it seems about a month after I make a purchase, an upgraded version appears. I remember growing up, my family had the same 25" color console TV (which took up most of a wall with its cabinet) for 15 years!!!!

By the way, your old Fisher 27" TV was the first TV I bought when I was first married in 1987!!!! I passed it along to my son about 10 years ago for his bedroom. It finally crapped out about 2 years ago!

• Josh Steinberg likes this

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 542 posts

Posted September 14 2014 - 06:51 AM

Don't you just love tech....buy it today, outdated tomorrow.

I've had to really control myself from buying a new TV or some accessory every year as it seems about a month after I make a purchase, an upgraded version appears. I remember growing up, my family had the same 25" color console TV (which took up most of a wall with its cabinet) for 15 years!!!!

By the way, your old Fisher 27" TV was the first TV I bought when I was first married in 1987!!!! I passed it along to my son about 10 years ago for his bedroom. It finally crapped out about 2 years ago!

Well the Lord was with me on this one.   Our friend (and pretty much family) Carolyn & Joe were so impressed with the Vizio 47, they ended up buying it from me (I gave them a $100 discount over the store price) when they learned that I was interested in selling the Vizio 47.  

Of course I immediately put a little more money out and purchased the new Vizio 49" M-Series which I'm thrilled with now.  Beautiful picture, great for football (240 HZ refresh rate) and included all the bells & whistles that the larger M-Series models included (the 47 and smaller M-Series didn't have all, including Smooth Motion and 240 Hz).

Pay no attention to the lines visible in the photo, captured by the camera.  The PQ on this is amazing.

I just love Happy Endings.

Memories2014_Vizio49_KelliPose.jpg

Memories2014_Vizio49_Old-New.jpg

• atfree likes this

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   McPaul

McPaul

Screenwriter

• 1,724 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted September 17 2014 - 12:57 AM

Fisher? TV/VCR?

I think some of you are in the wrong forum! (I kid). Enjoy the new gear!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users