Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Maya

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,482 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:58 PM

I notice a post today that Maya is being released by WB via their on-demand program. I did some research on Maya, but was not able to find much information on the premise of the show other that it was based on elephant and ran for only 18 episodes. I welcome input on this show to see if it is worth buying down road after it has been released.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,826 posts

Posted August 07 2014 - 03:52 AM

My opinion is:  Save your money.  From what I remember of the show, it was very boring, and poorly conceived.  Two teenage boys, one being Jay "Dennis the Menace" North, riding around India on an elephant, looking for North's supposedly dead father.  IMHO:   Yawn.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,879 posts

Posted August 07 2014 - 06:31 AM

It was based on the Widescreen movie of the same title with Clint Walker and Jay North. Warner Archive has released the movie. The movie was pretty good but I have not seen the TV show but it looks to be along the lines of Daktari.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,605 posts

Posted August 07 2014 - 09:38 AM

That makes three shows by my count that are on the on-demand program that have yet to be released by Warner Archive, joining "McLain's Law" and "Jericho" (the 60s WW2 show).

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,879 posts

Posted August 07 2014 - 09:46 AM

According to TVSHOWSONDVD this is a DVD release through WA and not a Streaming release. It shows a release date of 8/18/14 and price of $39.99 and a picture of the front cover. Although curiously it is not up on the WA pre-order page yet.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,605 posts

Posted August 07 2014 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for the correction, I missed the announcement there.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 08:45 AM

I have never heard of this show but it sounds interesting.  I would like someone to release Cowboy in Africa too.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,473 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 06:32 PM

I have never heard of this show but it sounds interesting.  I would like someone to release Cowboy in Africa too.

Well, there's an audience for everything. To me, Maya, Cowboy in Africa and Daktari were about 3 of the most unwatchable shows of the 60s. Still, glad to see it being released as any half season failed show releases are a good thing.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   rjd0309

rjd0309

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted August 11 2014 - 09:26 AM

Neil, your comment made me laugh.

I loved Daktari as a child, but when I rented the recent dvd release, I thought, "What dreck!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users