Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Herzog - The Collection -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray Shout Factory A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 ONLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 02:44 PM

I was going to begin this discussion with the concept of Shout Factory! being pulled up by its bootstraps, in publishing the extraordinary Herzog Collection of Blu-rays.

Then I realized that it made little sense, as generally, Shout and Scream Factory! releases push the limits of extras, and strive to eke quality out of even the most pasteurized supplied masters.

When I think of Werner Herzog, my memories go to an incident at The Telluride Film Festival c. 1979, when (memory is clouded) Werner was either pushing Klaus Kinski into a dumpster...

or helping him out of one.

I've always been a fan of his work, and Shout Factory's multi-pound book presentation allows fans to own a large portion of his cinematic output (15 films) from Even Dwarfs Started Small (1970) through Little Dieter Needs to Fly (1997), plus his film about Mr. Kinski, My Best Fiend (1999).

I've not had the time to view all of the films, but have some away generally very pleased, and in some ways more pleased than I thought I would, as I had heard some problematic notes regarding Nosferatu and digital cleansing.

What I'm seeing are occasional digital problems, heavy and then lowered grain in parts of Fitzcarraldo, but nothing that would be problematic, especially at a normal viewing distance.  Spot-checking Nosferatu in German, left me pleased, as I was prepared for plastic, and there was more than a general sense of film grain, with occasional shots seemingly slightly affected.  Then I checked the English version, which I presumed would be the same, but with only language change.  Wrong.  Have no idea what went wrong here, but grain has been heavily removed.  Not certain why.  Doesn't affect me, as I'd view the German version anyway.

This is not the set that one would give as a gift for a wedding shower, bar mitzvah, sweet sixteen or other family or religious function.  This is a very specific set for the cinema aficionado, who has a love of Mr. Herzog's work, and fortunately that's a decently sized fan base.

With over 40 films to his credit Shout Factory! is able to give us about 40% of them in a single serving, and that's extremely commendable.  Currently $100 on Amazon.  Interestingly, the BFI also has a Herzog set, but with several different films.  You pays your money.  You takes your chance...

Bottom line on this release.  Shout Factory! has stepped up to the plate and delivered.

Recommended.

RAH

• theonemacduff likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 06 2014 - 02:52 PM

I know you are not a fan of screencaps Mr Harris but film grain present on the UK edition, missing on the USA edition, the scratch removal tools appear to have also erased things they should not have, once again i appreciate you don't like caps.

http://caps-a-holic....less=#vergleich

• Dr Griffin and tele1962 like this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 of 8 ONLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 06:10 PM

I know you are not a fan of screencaps Mr Harris but film grain present on the UK edition, missing on the USA edition, the scratch removal tools appear to have also erased things they should not have, once again i appreciate you don't like caps.

No problem with good caps, as they can lead one in the proper direction. I just don't always trust them. Certainly different looks. I would have preferred that Mr. Herzog's production company would have mastered and approved a single tape.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted August 06 2014 - 06:57 PM

I was going to begin this discussion with the concept of Shout Factory! being pulled up by its bootstraps, in publishing the extraordinary Herzog Collection of Blu-rays.

Then I realized that it made little sense, as generally, Shout and Scream Factory! releases push the limits of extras, and strive to eek quality out of even the most pasteurized supplied masters.

Actually, Shout! Factory strives to "eke" quality. Only Scream Factory strives to "eek" it.

• Robert Harris likes this

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:20 PM

Nearly blind bought the set then held off. Now thinking I should get it. I'll keep my peeper on it to see if it drops in price some more. not that it isn't already a great price of course. 

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   AshJW

AshJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted August 06 2014 - 11:25 PM

When I think of Werner Herzog, my memories go to an incident at The Telluride Film Festival c. 1979, when (memory is clouded) Werner was either pushing Klaus Kinski into a dumpster...

or helping him out of one.

or probably both ;)

...plus his film about Mr. Kinski, My Best Friend (1999).

RAH

Is it not My Best Fiend (mein liebster Feind)?

• Robert Harris likes this

Louise-Brooks_Sig_50.JPG

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   atcolomb

atcolomb

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted August 07 2014 - 08:06 PM

My first time i saw a Herzog film was in 1980 when Nosferatu was shown under the 20th Century Fox logo on the Bravo TV network back then when they were showing art and foreign films and since then a big fan of Herzog.  I get angry at what Bravo is showing today but will buy the box set for sure.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   tele1962

tele1962

Second Unit

• 383 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 01:26 PM

Oh dear, not good at all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Shout Factory, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users