What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Herzog - The Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I was going to begin this discussion with the concept of Shout Factory! being pulled up by its bootstraps, in publishing the extraordinary Herzog Collection of Blu-rays.

Then I realized that it made little sense, as generally, Shout and Scream Factory! releases push the limits of extras, and strive to eke quality out of even the most pasteurized supplied masters.

When I think of Werner Herzog, my memories go to an incident at The Telluride Film Festival c. 1979, when (memory is clouded) Werner was either pushing Klaus Kinski into a dumpster...

or helping him out of one.

I've always been a fan of his work, and Shout Factory's multi-pound book presentation allows fans to own a large portion of his cinematic output (15 films) from Even Dwarfs Started Small (1970) through Little Dieter Needs to Fly (1997), plus his film about Mr. Kinski, My Best Fiend (1999).

I've not had the time to view all of the films, but have some away generally very pleased, and in some ways more pleased than I thought I would, as I had heard some problematic notes regarding Nosferatu and digital cleansing.

What I'm seeing are occasional digital problems, heavy and then lowered grain in parts of Fitzcarraldo, but nothing that would be problematic, especially at a normal viewing distance.  Spot-checking Nosferatu in German, left me pleased, as I was prepared for plastic, and there was more than a general sense of film grain, with occasional shots seemingly slightly affected.  Then I checked the English version, which I presumed would be the same, but with only language change.  Wrong.  Have no idea what went wrong here, but grain has been heavily removed.  Not certain why.  Doesn't affect me, as I'd view the German version anyway.

This is not the set that one would give as a gift for a wedding shower, bar mitzvah, sweet sixteen or other family or religious function.  This is a very specific set for the cinema aficionado, who has a love of Mr. Herzog's work, and fortunately that's a decently sized fan base.

With over 40 films to his credit Shout Factory! is able to give us about 40% of them in a single serving, and that's extremely commendable.  Currently $100 on Amazon.  Interestingly, the BFI also has a Herzog set, but with several different films.  You pays your money.  You takes your chance...

Bottom line on this release.  Shout Factory! has stepped up to the plate and delivered.

Recommended.

RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
FoxyMulder said:
I know you are not a fan of screencaps Mr Harris but film grain present on the UK edition, missing on the USA edition, the scratch removal tools appear to have also erased things they should not have, once again i appreciate you don't like caps. http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=4181&disc2=4128&cap1=38928&cap2=38403&art=full&image=6&hd_multiID=532&action=1&lossless=#vergleich
No problem with good caps, as they can lead one in the proper direction. I just don't always trust them. Certainly different looks. I would have preferred that Mr. Herzog's production company would have mastered and approved a single tape.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Robert Harris said:
I was going to begin this discussion with the concept of Shout Factory! being pulled up by its bootstraps, in publishing the extraordinary Herzog Collection of Blu-rays.

Then I realized that it made little sense, as generally, Shout and Scream Factory! releases push the limits of extras, and strive to eek quality out of even the most pasteurized supplied masters.
Actually, Shout! Factory strives to "eke" quality. Only Scream Factory strives to "eek" it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Nearly blind bought the set then held off. Now thinking I should get it. I'll keep my peeper on it to see if it drops in price some more. not that it isn't already a great price of course.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Robert Harris said:
When I think of Werner Herzog, my memories go to an incident at The Telluride Film Festival c. 1979, when (memory is clouded) Werner was either pushing Klaus Kinski into a dumpster...

or helping him out of one.

or probably both ;)

...plus his film about Mr. Kinski, My Best Friend (1999).
RAH
Is it not My Best Fiend (mein liebster Feind)?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
My first time i saw a Herzog film was in 1980 when Nosferatu was shown under the 20th Century Fox logo on the Bravo TV network back then when they were showing art and foreign films and since then a big fan of Herzog. I get angry at what Bravo is showing today but will buy the box set for sure.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks