What's new

The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series - 11/4/14 (2 Viewers)

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Shout Factory is slated to release all four seasons of The Phil Silvers Show on DVD on Nov. 4.

The 143 episodes will be spread over 20 discs. There is no word on any extras.

If you order from Shout Factory (link above) the set ships four weeks early (Oct. 7). The current price is 104.99.

A pre-order on Amazon should follow soon.

Most episodes of Phil Silvers Show have not previously been released on DVD. In 2006, Paramount released an 18-episode "best of" collection. The complete first season followed in 2010.
All 143 hilarious episodes!

One of the all-time classics from the golden age of television, Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show: The Complete Series has finally arrived on DVD. This multiple Emmy® Award winner, which originally aired from 1955-1959, was one of early television’s biggest smashes and still commands attention today as both a hilarious sitcom and a star-making showcase for legendary comedian Phil Silvers (It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World) in his signature role as Master Sergeant Ernest G. Bilko.

Running the motor pool at Fort Baxter, the cagey Sgt. Bilko has always got an ace up his sleeve and a scheme in his head. From get-rich-quick scams to plots designed to keep himself free from the drudgery of work, he’s always running an angle that will be sure to leave his commanding officer Colonel Hall tearing out his hair — and viewers in stitches!

Featuring a memorable supporting cast, including Harvey Lembeck, Allan Melvin, Joe E. Ross, and Paul Ford, the 143 episodes in this set represent a true masterpiece of American comedy. With some of the snappiest jokes and kookiest characters of all time, Sgt. Bilko -The Phil Silvers Show: The Complete Series is an essential piece of any classic television fan’s collection.
Discs: 20
Video region: Region 1
Color: Black & White
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Language: English
SgtBilkoTCSCover72dpi.jpg

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
I was very surprised. After nothing on this show (in R1, at least) for four-plus years, I never expected anything like this.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It is good news since this is one of just three stalled 50s titles I wanted to see finished (along with "One Step Beyond" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents") I do have to wonder though if (1) all bonus content from the anniversary set will be ported over and (2) are Seasons 2-4 liable to be old masters except for those episodes that were in the anniversary set?This is only the second pre-1980 series CBS has farmed out to an independent label and we already saw with the previous one "Mod Squad" that for unreleased seasons, old masters were just passed along. Seems more likely that's what we're going to see here as well.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The British release has a whole list of extras (many of them new to DVD) and the producers claim they have done a lot of work making the episodes look good. Maybe Shout will benefit from their efforts in this instance. In any case, this release fixes a major omission in the world of TV on DVD.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Like all here, this is a must-own for my collection... I bought the 18-episode collection but not season 1, hoping there would be a complete series later. Will there be extras? I certainly hope so, as what i've read about the overseas editions there is a nice little bounty of them. HOwever it won't be a deal breaker for me. And while i also want the best cleaned up content, i'll be happy if it is warner archive (the average warner archive that is) in quality. AND not MOD! Thanks Shout!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The guys working on the British edition said that the Shout version will definitely have extra features, some of which will differ from the British ones.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Between this and my other "Grail" shows Shout! has released/announced lately I'm quickly going broke! My wife will *NOT* understand...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Hopefully Shout does this right. I hate to say it, but I don't feel comfortable buying their products before reading reviews I trust given the mixed bag they've served up before. Perhaps if CBS/P hadn't put so much product out at once this might have found its audience. There's only so much the average consumer can afford to buy at once.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Steve...O said:
Hopefully Shout does this right. I hate to say it, but I don't feel comfortable buying their products before reading reviews I trust given the mixed bag they've served up before. Perhaps if CBS/P hadn't put so much product out at once this might have found its audience. There's only so much the average consumer can afford to buy at once.
When has CBSP put out so much?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
JoeDoakes said:
When has CBSP put out so much?
I was referring to several years back when they were pumping out multiple series at once (Mannix, Hawaii Five - O, Perry Mason, Untouchables, Fugitive, Gunsmoke, etc.) While a lot of them did get completed, there were some hiccups: Bilko, One Step Beyond, Barnaby Jones were a few that didn't work out. I can't prove this, but I always thought that so many series being released concurrently had to hurt some of them. It was great to have so many choices but it also probably led to the premature demise of several releases.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Steve...O said:
I was referring to several years back when they were pumping out multiple series at once (Mannix, Hawaii Five - O, Perry Mason, Untouchables, Fugitive, Gunsmoke, etc.) While a lot of them did get completed, there were some hiccups: Bilko, One Step Beyond, Barnaby Jones were a few that didn't work out. I can't prove this, but I always thought that so many series being released concurrently had to hurt some of them. It was great to have so many choices but it also probably led to the premature demise of several releases.
True, I still haven't caught up on all of those series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks